• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

will walk may...many questions

vitaminporter

Hello,

I just joined the forum and have a load of questions to ask. To start, I am coming to Biarritz from American at the very end of April. It sounds like I can take a bus from the airport to Bayonne and then a little train to SJPDP. I arrive in the afternoon and plan on getting from the airport to SJPDP in a single day. Can anyone tell me if this is practical? After that I plan on walking to to Roncevalles either the next day or after a day spent in SJPDP (I would prefer the second option). My concern is starting from France the Friday before May 1 and the holiday crowds once I reach Spain and start looking for a bed. Advice? Beyond that there is a list of general questions such as:

water (some swear by bottled, I would prefer to avoid the expense and waste but dont want to get sick)

csj guide (how helpful is this, really?)

km/day (I guess this is up to each of us...I am 35 and in good physical shape, planning on average 25k/day.)

rest days (how many in a month? Better cities than small towns so you can find cheap lodging?)

days in SdeC (how long do you really want at the end?)

pilgrims passport/credencials (can I pick these up in SJPDP without trouble?)

sleeping bag (sounds like a must!)

sleeping mat (would love to NOT have to bring)

food buying/cooking (is this done at he end of each day, plan on making a meal each night, breakfast in the morning and eating lunch along the way?)

refugio protocol (just what are these places actually like?)

renfe v. iberia discount (I would like to take a train back to France rather than fly, does RENFE give discounts to pilgrims as well, and how early do you need to make arrangements?)

staying in S de C (where? I heard a rumor about the palace there...)

clothes rotation/washing (every day?!)

diet (whats good along the trail...starches?)

pre-training walks (what % of estimated weight, what % distance, every day?)
private lodging v. refugio (it appears there are some days I must stay in private lodging, what can I expect in terms of prices and what are the real differences between that and a refugio?)

Okay, so thats a lot I realize. Maybe too much, but these are the questions I have so far. Meanwhile, I am happy to introduce myself and would enjoy writing with anyone else who has experience with the Camino or will be walking in May.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
hi!
i can help abit whit your questions!

first thing do you know the time to get in france?
you can take bus train to stjpdp
this is the adress for you pilgrims passport:

St Jean Pied-de-Port Accueil St Jacques,
39 rue de la Citadelle
if you get in b4 22hours(10pm)you can sleep acroos the street at:
40 rue de la Citadelle; 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port; France
tel. +33 (0)5 59 37 24 68
watetr is safe to drink in france and spain and the rest of western europe!

km per day it 31 days so youll walk abou 20-30km/per day

rest days: up to you if you want any most ppl dont take rest days

up to you if you have time in santiago to stay a few days(i dont know myself how long ill stay in santiago)

sleeping mat:keep it home
sleeping bag you need if you dont want bed bugs!!

to get back to france i check for myself and you need to get to madrid and it 9hours on train :S cuz it not hight speed train !
you bag shouldnt be more then 15-20% your body weight!

i hope this help you abit
have asafe trip and alot of fun walking
i know i will(leaving in 12days)

water (some swear by bottled, I would prefer to avoid the expense and waste but dont want to get sick)
The water from the fountains is drinkable unless there is a sign sayng non-potable

csj guide (how helpful is this, really?)
Very useful.

km/day (I guess this is up to each of us...I am 35 and in good physical shape, planning on average 25k/day.)
You may average that but try to take things slowly at first.

rest days (how many in a month? Better cities than small towns so you can find cheap lodging?)
Yes and lots to see. Leon certainly, Burgos maybe, and as you feel.

At least two.

Yes

sleeping bag (sounds like a must!)
Yes

sleeping mat (would love to NOT have to bring)
Don't then you can probably borrow one from someone who got a bed if you are going to need it.

food buying/cooking (is this done at he end of each day, plan on making a meal each night, breakfast in the morning and eating lunch along the way?)
Whenever you see a shop open, Spanish opening hours are unpredictable. Are you really going to cater for yourself throughout the day, pilgrim menus are very reasonable and a cafe con leche and toast after the first few km makes a good breakfast.

refugio protocol (just what are these places actually like?)
Like youth hostels some are better than others but you get used to them.

renfe v. iberia discount (I would like to take a train back to France rather than fly, does RENFE give discounts to pilgrims as well, and how early do you need to make arrangements?)
In these days of cheap airlines I'm not even sure the Iberia discount still exists.

With all the money you are saving on food you could lash out and stay at the Parador but there are plenty of cheaper options look on the Santiago accommodation part of this forum.

See how it turns out.

diet (whats good along the trail...starches?)
If you eat the pilgrim menus you will get plenty of starch.

Get used to walking a few days in a row carrying your load.

private lodging v. refugio (it appears there are some days I must stay in private lodging, what can I expect in terms of prices and what are the real differences between that and a refugio?)
There are refugios for every section, sometimes you may want to stay in a private refugio (usually smaller dormatories) or a hostale (small cheap hotel) the private refugios are very cheap and the bars etc a little more but you want your own room once in wa while.

Buen Camino
William

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"...water (...bottled, I would prefer to avoid the expense and waste but dont want to get sick)

Take a couple of small/mid/large, plastic water bottles, depending on your H2O need and walking distance. Your health merits any expense.

"km/day (I guess this is up to each of us...I am 35 and in good physical shape, planning on average 25k/day.)"

I agree + you'll know once you hit the road.

rest days (how many in a month? Better cities than small towns so you can find cheap lodging?) ..."...refugio protocol (just what are these places actually like?)...private lodging v. refugio (it appears there are some days I must stay in private lodging, what can I expect in terms of prices and what are the real differences between that and a refugio?) "

It all depends on how much time u got + ur walking rythm.

U will find info re: lodging & prices in most guide books.

Protocol...hmm...you''ll know once u get there, don't worry: unfolding mysteries such as these r part of the experience :!:

Check out pilgrim albergues, doubt you'll find anything else cheaper than that.

Also, I believe that the fellowship with fellow pilgrims you will find when you stay in albergues is pivotal to the experience. Every time I've stayed somewhere else other than in refugios it has kinda undermined it. But then I do stay out once in a while in hotels for privacy and quiet.

You'll know once you get there.

Oui oui oui, at the albergue.

"sleeping bag (sounds like a must!)"

Take the lightest, smallest, one u can find.

"sleeping mat (would love to NOT have to bring)"

I've never taken one.

"...food buying/cooking (is this done at he end of each day, plan on making a meal each night, breakfast in the morning and eating lunch along the way?)..."

Si.

There are inexpensive albergues in Compostela. "Aquarius" is one, the "Seminar" and the "Colegio de la Salle," are others. There are countless s hotels with a wide range of prices. The Santiago tourist office on the Rua do Vilar will provide you with a list.

You can have a king's meal at the Parador de los Reyes Catolicos, located on the Obradoiro, right in front of the Cathedral. You'll have to enter through the kitchen, if I remember correctly, and show the credencial. They do serve a limited number of pilgrims daily. What a meal, man :!:

Depends on u, I always have washed clothes daily.

"diet (whats good along the trail...starches?)"

Not a dietitian here, but I like:

first of all lots of liquids, water " coke ( :) (when I really need a push).

Light lunches, nice dinners.

A banana somewhere along the way, u need that Potassium.

Fruits, fruits, fruits...

Energy bars.

And...

As much as possible.

Yep, up to u. Start slowly the first few days on the Camino and gradually augment your speed as u walk. Ur body will carry u as far as it wants to go, daily.

Don't forget to break in ur trekking shoes or boots prior to walking. Spare no $, they're the most important "gear" u will take.

Depends on u & what comes up, another one to research in guide/plan books or as u go along.

Buen Camino :)

xm

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.