• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino, lots of questions

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
Greetings!
I’m planning my first Camino Frances for August 2024 and looking forward to it. I‘ve been reading through lots of the threads and they have been very helpful and informative, but still have so many questions.

The most pressing one is what to do about my cPAP machine, because it’s bulky, and I can’t afford $900 or so for a travel unit, so I’m trying to figure out if I can actually carry it in my backpack. I’ve experimented with a non-hiking backpack I have, I believe it is 30 L (this is all new to me so I don’t know if I’m estimating the size correctly), and it does fit even with its case, with some room left over for things like socks, shirts, etc. The unit weighs about 3.5 lbs (not too heavy), so it might be feasible to carry it all the way. It has its own travel case, which is rectangular and usually appropriate for airplane travel, but fitting this into the backpack takes space I would use otherwise, unless I buy a bigger backpack. The one I have now is nice, but it doesnt’ have the hip straps, so I might need to buy a new one anyway, but the larger ones are also quite pricey.

I’m aware of the delivery service, but that would really make it difficult to have a flexible itinerary, and I fear being separated from the machine, or if it gets damaged. I’ve tried to find out if I can rent a travel sized machine, but nobody seems to know. Would this be possible in Spain? Or even buying a travel sized one in Spain might be more affordable? Worse case scenario, I can try backpacking it over the Pyrenees, but I want to make sure I’m not missing other alternatives.

Being that it will be in August through September, I expect to travel very light, so that might make the backpack situation a bit easier.

I do have other questions but I’ve been learning a lot in these boards.

About me: I’m 64, retired, generally in good health other than a few annoying ailments, and I’ve been working out at the gym since last April, and walking 1-3 miles (0.6-4.8 km) a day for the last 3-4 years, and I’m planning to step up my training this summer. I hope the infernal FL heat will prepare me for the broiling Meseta, but who knows! I’ve never tried anything like this.

I’m a native Spanish speaker (from PR), so I hope that will help a lot.

I’ll ask more questions as they come up. Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

I’m looking forward to this adventure!
Thanks, and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place with your questions because there are lots of answers here!

There are quite a few forum members who have walked the Camino with a CPAP that I'm sure will be weighing in shortly. Meanwhile, you can use the search function at the top of the page.

One option is to contact Second wind CPAP to see about or get on a list for a refurbished travel machine. You may also be able to rent one for much less than the price of a new one. We travel.a lot and camp so my husband and I have each have travel machines and for camping a battery that will last up to 7 days.

If you have to carry the big machine you might work on a system to hook it to the outside of your regular pack with carabiner in its regular case. Also make sure you can use it without water. I agree that you will not want to ship it. When we sometimes have to ship my husband's pack I carry both CPAP'S and all of our meds and we only ship clothes and toiletries that I know I could replace.

You may also look at an external frame pack as they have more room to hook things to your load. Kelly still makes them and I always loved mine. But you do have to check them on a plane in most cases.

Lots for you to consider .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum!

The one I have now is nice, but it doesnt’ have the hip straps, so I might need to buy a new one anyway
Your footwear and your back pack are the two most important pieces of equipment. I would strongly recommend that you get a backpack that has both hip belt and sternum/chest strap. The hip belt is what transfers the load to your hips and legs, and it will be much easier to carry. I'm not sure of the size of your CPAP machine, but somewhere between 30 and 40L should be plenty for an August-September camino.

The most pressing one is what to do about my cPAP machine, because it’s bulky, and I can’t afford $900 or so for a travel unit, so I’m trying to figure out if I can actually carry it in my backpack.
If it's for sleep apnea, then listen to the advice of others.

But if it's for snoring, then unless yours is extremely loud, you could do possibly without it on a Camino, as a certain degree of snoring in the Albergues is unavoidable anyway, and most pilgrims learn not to be bothered by it.

Welcome HBS60! You have come to the right place.

Trecile, C. Clearly, and J Willhaus are very seasoned regarding the camino. They really know what they are talking about. Seriously consider any advice and/or info they provide!

You will want to have a backpack with a hip belt and a chest strap. The hip belt transfers the weight from your back to your legs and hips (better equipped to handle weight) and makes the pack much more comfortable. The sternum strap keeps the shoulder straps in place and helps to stabilize lateral pack movement.

A good outdoor store that sells backpacks will have someone on staff who can take your measurements and help you try on various packs (I tried on 8 before finding my perfect fit!). They will also adjust the pack to your body. REI has a 365 day return for any reason policy. I paid $165 for my 30L pack. 30L was actually larger than what I needed for my sleeping bag, liner, clothes, rain gear, toiletries, documents, and meds. I walked late Sept thru the first of Nov.

I cannot speak to the CPAP questions but J Willhaus has addressed the issue well. I can only say that I saw several people who used CPAP at night, both the travel size and the larger machines.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
REI has a 365 day return for any reason policy.
Just one caveat - the 365 day return policy is for REI members, but the lifetime membership is well worth it. It is only $30, and you will receive a yearly dividend, plus member only coupons. For non-members the return period is 90 days for most items.

I wholeheartedly agree with the others that you definitely need to have a backpack that includes the hip belt. One of my sons walked his only Camino (entire Frances route) with a good sized backpack he already owned, but had never used before. I noticed he was uncomfortable much of the time although he didn't complain. He eventually developed shin splints, but not sure if the backpack was a contributing factor or not. He was ill-prepared, twenty-five years younger than you, and did not carry the weight of a C-pap machine in addition to all the normal Camino related items.

Just one caveat - the 365 day return policy is for REI members, but the lifetime membership is well worth it. It is only $30, and you will receive a yearly dividend, plus member only coupons. For non-members the return period is 90 days for most items.

Thanks for the clarification Trecile! Your info is correct as usual.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The heat on the Meseta will feel a little different from Florida in that it won’t be humid, it will feel dry. I’m from Southern California so it felt like home for me! There was even a day on the Meseta where I was very alone, very tired, and very annoyed, and sat down in a huff because everything looked like California to me. I got over it really fast when I ended up in a tiny town for the night that reminded me of nothing California could ever offer. 😂

HBS60, welcome and Buen Camino!

Two notes.

I'm sure you know that some word choices and all accents are significantly different in Spain. May want to have a listen before you go.

Also, if any of your minor ailments require prescription medications, don't assume that you can get same day refills in Spain. it's *very* dependent on the medication.

Thanks for the replies so far. Much appreciated!
I’ll give Second Wind CPAP a call, although the idea of jury-rigging something with carabiners to hook the machine’s case sounds intriguing, will be doing some experimenting.
I already became a member of REI, and I visited their store where they had to mop the floor because I was drooling so badly at all the cool stuff!
The CPAP is for sleep apnea, but I also snore. The sleep apnea is mild, so I could try to do without it.
Florida heat-humid, Meseta heat-dry. I did live in Southern California for 3 years and I remember the dry heat. I think the humidity makes it so much worse, but I remember the 114 degree dry heat in the desert was nothing to mess around.
My Spanish is a bit rusty, but it was my first language which I spoke for 25 years before moving to the mainland. I’m familiar with different accents, particularly from Latin America, and to some extent, the Spain ones (we PRs sound a little like Andalusians or Canarians). I speak more Spanglish than pure Spanish, as we PRs combine both languages to make our own words. For example, to park the car, we would say “parkear”, combing the English word park with the Spanish verb ”-ear”, when the correct Spanish word is “estacionar”, so I might struggle to remember which was the correct pure Spanish word. It also takes me a few days when I visit my island to adjust to speaking Spanish because the mouth does moves differently, so I’m sure I’ll sound a bit like a Spanish-speaking gringo to the Spaniards. Then the idioms, slang, and expressions can be very different from country to country, so there will be embarrassing moments, guaranteed.

A few other things:
I have an appointment to see a podiatrist this coming Monday as I have issues with my right foot which sometimes “cracks” painfully on the metatarsal area, usually its just a temporary annoyance, but I hope I wont need surgery if there’s a problem that needs to be corrected. I once had a knee problem while trying to train for a marathon (I remember the injury happened when running downhill, as I’ve learned since then this is hard on the knees), so I’ll make sure to use trekking poles. I also have pre-diabetes, (not actual diabetes diagnosed so far, as my A1Cs have been good, just elevated fasting glucose), so I know I’m at risk for foot ulcers, thankfully, none so far, but I know I need to be careful.

My kidney function was a bit off but it’s now much better with medication intended for diabetes and kidneys, but I need to be mindful of not getting dehydrated. I also have prostate problems, so I do need to get up at night to pee at least once a night, sometimes twice, so I hope I can learn to do this without disrupting the other pilgrims.

Weather: I’m mostly concerned about the Pyrenees in August, as my biggest fear is getting lost in fog or caught on a storm, what do I do if there is thunder and lightning out there? I chose summer because I hate, hate, hate, HATE cold weather, so I hope to avoid snow in August, but still, I know all kinds of nasty weather can happen. The first day from SJPDP to RCV is the one I’m most concerned about, so I’ll try to break it with the Orisson stop for the first night. I’m told it requires reservations months in advance, so how soon?

That’s a lot of questions. I’m glad I still have plenty of time before the time arrives, so thanks to all for the helpful responses so far!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Book Orisson as soon as you’re certain of your date. You could also consider Borda just a little further on. They are the only two options to break the first stage.

Orisson has recently started online-booking which has caused the twice-daily ‘when will Orisson answer my email’ posts to cease.

You are remarkably unlikely to encounter snow in August.

The first day from SJPDP to RCV is the one I’m most concerned about, so I’ll try to break it with the Orisson stop for the first night. I’m told it requires reservations months in advance, so how soon?

That’s a lot of questions. I’m glad I still have plenty of time before the time arrives, so thanks to all for the helpful responses so far!
There's an excellent thread on lightning started by @GlennJ , literally titled ' lightning ' . Just use the search function, you'll find it. Also check out the link provided by Annie in this thread:
Recently in Oregon, we've had several people hit by lightning.
Some died, some survived.
But it has convinced me that we pilgrims need to file away some information on what to do if we are caught in a lightning storm, say out on the Meseta where there is no shelter.

Here is a good website I recently found on the topic.
Reading this could save a life.

http://www.torontohiking.com/Tutorials/ ... tning.html
Re: Orison / Bordo: book as soon as you know exactly when your first day on the camino will be.

There's an excellent thread on lightning started by @GlennJ , literally titled ' lightning ' . Just use the search function, you'll find it. Also check out the link provided by Annie in this thread:

Re: Orison / Bordo: book as soon as you know exactly when your first day on the camino will be.
That link no longer worked for me.
This one did:
Surviving lightning

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That lightning thread is scary, even though, living in FL, I’m in the lightning capital of the world, but I’m usually indoors when it happens…
I’m curious on what the weather is like in the Pyrenees around mid August.
As far as the backpack/cpap thing, I took some pics to give y’all an idea of what I have. I did try attaching the cPAP bag to the backpack, so it can be done, but it swings too much. Then again, this will not be the actual backpack I’ll be using. I included a pic of the actual unit in case anybody is familiar with it and has figure out how to carry it. I hope the pics upload correctly…
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    990 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4207.jpeg
    IMG_4207.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 71
Your C-pap unit looks huge. I would only carry it enclosed in a backpack large enough to hold it and everything else you need to bring. You possibly will need a 48L or larger and you will probably have to check you backpack. If the frame itself meets airline dimensions for overhead storage, maybe the C-pap can fit under the seat allowance until you exit the plane.

Please get a better fitted backpack with a hip belt. Your back will hate you after 2 days of that rig. It's riding too low, the straps are too narrow for your build, and the CPAP will bounce against your...glutes...with most steps. By itself, that backpack might make a decent daypack if you choose to ship, but I rather doubt it.

Aside from shoes, this is your most worthwhile investment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your C-pap unit looks huge. I would only carry it enclosed in a backpack large enough to hold it and everything else you need to bring. You possibly will need a 48L or larger and you will probably have to check you backpack. If the frame itself meets airline dimensions for overhead storage, maybe the C-pap can fit under the seat allowance until you exit the plane.
It is indeed bulky, but it might seem even bigger when looking at the case, which also has room for the tubing, power cables,masks, etc. I’ve traveled with the case before with no problems, it sits neatly under the seat, and I can place it on top of the usual carry on wheeled suitcase, but the backpacking is a different challenge. The case actually fits nicely inside the backpack I’m wearing in the pic, with room for a few other things, but I don’t know yet how much more room i would need. Ideally, I would get a similarly sized backpack with the hip and sternum straps, and somehow attaching the case under the pack. Good thing I have plenty of time to figure this out!

Please get a better fitted backpack with a hip belt. Your back will hate you after 2 days of that rig. It's riding too low, the straps are too narrow for your build, and the CPAP will bounce against your...glutes...with most steps. By itself, that backpack might make a decent daypack if you choose to ship, but I rather doubt it.

Aside from shoes, this is your most worthwhile investment.
Yes, I know, I’m using this backpack just to give an idea of the cPAP size problem, I’m not intending to use this backpack

I s
Greetings!
I’m planning my first Camino Frances for August 2024 and looking forward to it. I‘ve been reading through lots of the threads and they have been very helpful and informative, but still have so many questions.

The most pressing one is what to do about my cPAP machine, because it’s bulky, and I can’t afford $900 or so for a travel unit, so I’m trying to figure out if I can actually carry it in my backpack. I’ve experimented with a non-hiking backpack I have, I believe it is 30 L (this is all new to me so I don’t know if I’m estimating the size correctly), and it does fit even with its case, with some room left over for things like socks, shirts, etc. The unit weighs about 3.5 lbs (not too heavy), so it might be feasible to carry it all the way. It has its own travel case, which is rectangular and usually appropriate for airplane travel, but fitting this into the backpack takes space I would use otherwise, unless I buy a bigger backpack. The one I have now is nice, but it doesnt’ have the hip straps, so I might need to buy a new one anyway, but the larger ones are also quite pricey.

I’m aware of the delivery service, but that would really make it difficult to have a flexible itinerary, and I fear being separated from the machine, or if it gets damaged. I’ve tried to find out if I can rent a travel sized machine, but nobody seems to know. Would this be possible in Spain? Or even buying a travel sized one in Spain might be more affordable? Worse case scenario, I can try backpacking it over the Pyrenees, but I want to make sure I’m not missing other alternatives.

Being that it will be in August through September, I expect to travel very light, so that might make the backpack situation a bit easier.

I do have other questions but I’ve been learning a lot in these boards.

About me: I’m 64, retired, generally in good health other than a few annoying ailments, and I’ve been working out at the gym since last April, and walking 1-3 miles (0.6-4.8 km) a day for the last 3-4 years, and I’m planning to step up my training this summer. I hope the infernal FL heat will prepare me for the broiling Meseta, but who knows! I’ve never tried anything like this.

I’m a native Spanish speaker (from PR), so I hope that will help a lot.

I’ll ask more questions as they come up. Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

I’m looking forward to this adventure!
Thanks, and Buen Camino!
I seriously sympathise with your plight, but you need to beg, borrow, hire or steal a travel-sized CPAP.

I’m one of the first to criticise the minimalists who treat the Camino as an ultra-marathon; but I wouldn’t want to carry that.

I s

I seriously sympathise with your plight, but you need to beg, borrow, hire or steal a travel-sized CPAP.

I’m one of the first to criticise the minimalists who treat the Camino as an ultra-marathon; but I wouldn’t want to carry that.
My choice would be to borrow a travel sized one, perhaps renting one, but neither my dr, nor my insurance company, nor my medical equipment supplier, seem to know how can I do this, and they have me going in circles. Argh…

Check these smaller devices here. Not as small as some, but still smaller than what you have. (ESCAPE models look promising). We've bought a couple of refurbished machines from second wind. I just put mine in a stuff sack on the Camino. No problems.

I have the same home CPAP as you and a travel CPAP as well.
Rentals are out there. You will likely need your CPAP prescription and that's it. You will likely have to pay out of pocket. Below is how my machine is packed for the Camino

20230309_165725.jpg20230309_165816.jpg20230309_165823.jpg

Update:
I decided to stop at the local REI, brought the cPAP case (not the machine) to have an idea of the size. The saleslady showed me a couple models, and I wound up buying an Osprey Kestrel 48 L bag, where the case seems to fit nicely. She filled the pack with heavy pillows so I could have an idea of the weight, and it seemed comfortable (whether that would be the case after walking miles up the Pyrenees remains to be seen). I do need to learn how to work with all those straps, pockets, hooks, etc, but i figured it was cheaper to buy a backpack for $200 which I can keep permanently, than to rent a CPAP for only a few weeks, or worse, buying a CPAP unit outright.
I have an out of town trip coming up in May, not wilderness related, but I can try it out then as the town I’ll be visiting has steep hills. Good thing about the one year return policy.
Now, I need to figure out all those straps, pockets, zippers, and hidden features…
IMG_4262.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I decided to stop at the local REI, brought the cPAP case (not the machine) to have an idea of the size. The saleslady showed me a couple models, and I wound up buying an Osprey Kestrel 48 L bag, where the case seems to fit nicely. She filled the pack with heavy pillows so I could have an idea of the weight, and it seemed comfortable (whether that would be the case after walking miles up the Pyrenees remains to be seen). I do need to learn how to work with all those straps, pockets, hooks, etc, but i figured it was cheaper to buy a backpack for $200 which I can keep permanently, than to rent a CPAP for only a few weeks, or worse, buying a CPAP unit outright...Now, I need to figure out all those straps, pockets, zippers, and hidden features…

Once you have all of your gear you can go back to REI and they will show you how best to pack it - and how to use all those straps, pockets, zippers, and hidden features!

Once you have all of your gear you can go back to REI and they will show you how best to pack it - and how to use all those straps, pockets, zippers, and hidden features!
The sales lady didn’t seem to know much beyond fitting the pack, how to adjust the hip and shoulder straps, but not much else, which wasn’t reassuring. I found this helpful video, which is very detailed, but I think it may be of an older model because the water sleeve feature is different and I can’t make sense of it. Those side pockets make the water bottles impossible to reach, even the angled ones. Still, this video did help a lot:

Last edited:
Those side pockets make the water bottles impossible to reach, even the angled ones
That's a pretty common problem. Personally, I use something like this:

I actually keep my water bottles in my backpack because it keeps them a lot cooler, however with your CPAP clearly that's not really an option for you. I'm somebody that likes to drink little and often, if you're somebody that prefers to stop and drink regularly than this won't be needed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The sales lady didn’t seem to know much beyond fitting the pack, how to adjust the hip and shoulder straps, but not much else, which wasn’t reassuring. I found this helpful video, which is very detailed, but I think it may be of an older model because the water sleeve feature is different and I can’t make sense of it. Those side pockets make the water bottles impossible to reach, even the angled ones. Still, this video did help a lot:
I actually know the guy who designed the Osprey packs and I complained directly to him about how difficult it is to remove and replace water bottles from the side pockets. To no avail. He recommended the water bladder inside the pack, which I don't like for a number of reasons. I rigged up a great way to carry my water bottle(s) on my shoulder straps (see my profile pic). Works wonderfully.

Now back to the CPap; if your sleep apnea is mild, I highly recommend looking into one of the sleep appliances that fits inside your mouth. It pulls the lower jaw forward, which makes it easier to breathe and also reduces snoring.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.