• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would rather not go it alone?

merryc

Hi everyone!

I have been living in Ribadeo, Galicia for about five months now teaching English. I live right alongside a path of the camino and I encounter pilgrims on a regular basis. In all, it´s been a great experience and it´s a dream of mine to one day walk the camino myself.

I would like to start my journey at the end of the academic year, probably in early June. My major problem is that I don´t know anyone else who would want to go and I would feel uncomfortable making the trip alone - I´m a 22 year old female and many of my students have warned me against it. :?

What is the best thing to do? Do you know of any forums or websites where I could find travel partners ahead of time? Or would you recommend starting the trip alone and meeting up with other travelers along the way?

I would appreciate any kind of feedback!
Merry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Merry

I understand your aprehension. You may meet other pilgrims in this forum who are leaving around the same time. However the reality is that on the Camino Frances even in a normal year you aren't alone for very long and this year there will be even more pilgrims around. I left St Jean early on November morning and withing 30 mins I had met up with people who were to be my walking companions for days.

Good luck

John

I would go alone. You will meet people early on that you get along with well. The rythmn of the Camino really allows you to fall in with a small group of people that you truly enjoy. You may or may not walk together each day. You can walk on your own or walk with others... it really does work out that way. If you try to organize a walking companion in advance, a stranger, it might turn out that you meet and aren't so compatible then you might feel stuck with one another. Maybe it would be awkward whereas if you go on your own, you will have more freedom to choose your social outlet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everyone indicates "Not to Worry" and, I believe they are correct!

If your concern is that you are a young, early twenties, female...know that there are many who match that description. If you've made it this far, I'm sure life has introduced you the many possible pitfalls that you may encounter. The difference with the Camino is that most pilgrims are there for similar reasons and, therefore you already have something in common. As JW said, it will not take much time for you to meet folks as you make your Way.

Seldom are there situations where something untoward will happen and, should that take place...it's likely not a fellow pilgrim, but rather a local along the Camino who make an advance not to your liking. Deal with them the same way you would in a normal situation.

And, as an aside, those in your class that have indicated you should reconsider walking the Camino...Have any of them actually walked the Way.

Buen "See you along the Way" Camino,

Arn

Arn said:
those in your class that have indicated you should reconsider walking the Camino...Have any of them actually walked the Way.

That is exactly what I was going to ask! Walking the Camino is a completely different experience than talking and giving advise about it from someone who has never done it. By the time June comes along, there should be loads of people walking, so much so, that even if you are not actually walking with someone, you will be seeing people ahead of you, or behind you. You can always check your pace to walk near someone in areas that you would prefer not to be completely alone. Then in the evenings, you will have chance to meet up, mainly with people that you have been seeing over the past days. In the albergues, you get to know people very easily! I would say, don't worry. Anne

Do not hesitate to just start walking. You will not be alone from the first day. I agree that it would be much better to choose your walking companions as you go as you will have a full choice of those you enjoy.
Just do it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello! I am facing the exact problem right now, very nervous about going alone. Because I too, am a (or will be by the time I start the trail) 22 year old female. I will start the Camino in Leon because I only have 2 weeks to finish it at the end of June. So, you are all saying that the trail is quite safe? And the villages are as well?

I walked the trail 'alone' 3 years ago as a 23 year old female. And it was the best possible choice I could have made! I walked from St Jean to Finisterre and never felt unsafe for even a moment. I didn't do things that would put me in potentially dangerous situations (like deciding to walk by myself through mountains or a city at 4 am), so if you use common sense it is quite safe. Also, there is usually someone within sight or shouting distance, so if you find yourself in trouble there will be people along to help.

I met lifelong friends (and my husband!) by walking the trail 'alone'. Walking by yourself gives you the freedom to go at your own pace, how you want, and to meet more people. As others have said, pilgrims tend to form walking groups of people who get along and walk at about the same pace, so loneliness is actually not an issue at all. For me it was getting enough alone time, at times! People are so unbelievably friendly and open that you don't have to worry about whether or not you will befriend people.

One note, though, that I don't recall being mentioned for young women walking solo on this forum.... a lot of men will hit on you. It is really really annoying. Just be very clear with them what you want/don't want and you'll be fine. Pretty much every other young woman who walked solo had the same experience with overly persistent men who thought they were in love for some reason, so just know that this is pretty much the main annoyance on the trail! But then again, after several weeks of such things, I met the pilgrim I would later marry (even though I swore to myself I would not get involved while on the Camino), so it worked out!

But yes. The trail, including the villages and cities, are generally safe as long as you don't put yourself in a bad situation. Make sure there is always someone within sight, keep your wallet/passport/etc on yourself at all times, and you'll be fine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back