La Brique Jaune

Official member of la confradia del pinza del oro
Jan 13, 2016
Quebec-Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
2017: SJPDP to Finisterre
2024: SJDP to ?
Hi to All,

My flight to europe will be Montréal-Paris and then trains to SJPDP. My concerns is how I will return to Montréal- Canada after my Camino. I will doing th Francès from SJPDP to Santiago. Any tips, suggestions, advices or opinions ?

ps: I will finish my Camino around the 10th of june 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: John A Richard
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mar 6, 2015
Canada
CF: 15, 17, 18, 19
CN: 23
Two possibilities: From Santiago, take a bus or train to Porto, then AirTransat back to Montreal. Another possibility: Go to Lisbon and take a plane to Montreal after stop-over in Toronto. A website to visit would be Rome2Rio, amongst others which offer differents routes and carriers. Remember: there's always solutions! Ultreia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Portuguese/Frances 2020/Norte 2021
Hi to All,

My flight to europe will be Montréal-Paris and then trains to SJPDP. My concerns is how I will return to Montréal- Canada after my Camino. I will doing th Francès from SJPDP to Santiago. Any tips, suggestions, advices or opinions ?
What is your return date?

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Portuguese/Frances 2020/Norte 2021
About the 10 of june 2024
I can see a direct MAD to YUL for that date at £222 @1425, booking direct on Air Transat. You will need to add luggage I guess @£55 per bag. Or booking with bag @£273 which gives you an option to change for a €75 fee and price difference in fare class. Pretty much the same fare for the 12th June from Madrid.

Always loads of options but that seems the ‘cleanest’. Best to get bus or train to Madrid day before.

Slightly higher fare from BCN to YUL on 11 June,

Pretty good fares, and great schedule, so you may want to book quickly.

I’ve not looked but I would guess that direct flights from Paris to Montreal would be very pricey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kirkie
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Apr 4, 2007
Francese 2002, Cami San Jaume 2018, Norte 2023
Choices are (simplest to most complicated) train to Madrid, MAD to YUL (Air Canada or Air Transat-- if the latter, note that their seats are very small unless you fly Premium Economy); train & bus to Lisbon, then LIS to YUL; train to Madrid, then MAD to CDG to YUL; Madrid by train to Barcelona, or by SDC to BCN, then to YUL;

As others suggest, get to Madrid the day before your flight. There are many economical (well, for Madrid) hotels in the Barajas neighbourhood near the airport. You can reach the airport by métro or many of the hotels can arrange a seat on a shuttle.

Reactions: TravellingMan22

TMcA

Aug 11, 2008
Vermont USA
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
Good advice already about Air Transat. Porto is a delightful small city and worth a visit. Madrid is bigger but with two great museums. We've returned from both.

If you park long term in Montreal, I wouldn't park at the airport hotels. Theft of late model SUVs and high end cars does take place there. We reserve in advance at the long term area within the airport grounds.

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Jul 14, 2017
Ontario, Canada
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
I had no return flight booked when I finished my camino early june last year. I took a bus to Porto and flight to Montreal as it was the most convenient and cheapest at the time. All the other possible ways were more expensive.

Good advice given above. Buen camino and safe return back home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
Ryanair has cheap flights from Santiago to Dublin and London so you may want to check airfares from those places back to Montreal (because, you know, it won't take much time to check out fares from Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona and Paris).

HJPZ

Jun 29, 2016
September (2018)
I was returning to Toronto but it’s a simple bus ride from Santiago to Porto where I enjoyed a few day being a tourist in this great city. I then flew home direct on Air Transat which likely flies direct to Montreal as well.

Reactions: Freewalker
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

debigetsout

Donating Member
Jun 10, 2013
Netherlands
all
Choices are (simplest to most complicated) train to Madrid, MAD to YUL (Air Canada or Air Transat-- if the latter, note that their seats are very small unless you fly Premium Economy); train & bus to Lisbon, then LIS to YUL; train to Madrid, then MAD to CDG to YUL; Madrid by train to Barcelona, or by SDC to BCN, then to YUL;

As others suggest, get to Madrid the day before your flight. There are many economical (well, for Madrid) hotels in the Barajas neighbourhood near the airport. You can reach the airport by métro or many of the hotels can arrange a seat on a shuttle.
Or stay in a hostel in Madrid, which you will be used to by that point. Book ahead.

Giratrek

Jan 24, 2024
Calgary Alberta
April 15,2024
I had no return flight booked when I finished my camino early june last year. I took a bus to Porto and flight to Montreal as it was the most convenient and cheapest at the time. All the other possible ways were more expensive.

Good advice given above. Buen camino and safe return back home.
So I don't have a returned flight booked either after my Camino because I am not sure how long it will take me. But I was wondering when entering a country if you must show a booked return flight

antepacem

May 14, 2013
Montreal, QC
Frances/Portugues/Norte/Primitivo/Salvador
I have done the YUL>CDG to get to Spain/Portugal many times and have always returned one of two ways: SDC>OPO>YUL (direct with Transat) or SDC>BCN>YUL (direct with Transat). Transat always has direct flights from Porto and Barcelona and they are reasonably priced, even when you book the return last minute once you're done (as I have often done). I prefer BCN bc I love that city, but both options are excellent and don't demand flying through YYZ, which is a hassle. You can also bus or train from SDC to Porto (rather than flying), although I've never done it myself.

antepacem

May 14, 2013
Montreal, QC
So I don't have a returned flight booked either after my Camino because I am not sure how long it will take me. But I was wondering when entering a country if you must show a booked return flight
Depends where you're entering. I have never once been asked for proof of return when arriving in Paris (flying from Canada, but entering on a US passport).

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Feb 28, 2019
Vila Nova da Barquinha
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
Two possibilities: From Santiago, take a bus or train to Porto, then AirTransat back to Montreal.
I've used the Air Transat flight back from Porto to Montreal. Good flight. Leaves early, but not too early, in morning, if still same schedule from last year. Good hotel walking distance from fairly small airport, with very early morning breakfast.

Was a good way to travel back to Canada!

This was the hotel: breakfast starting at 4 am!

Last edited:

La Brique Jaune

Jan 13, 2016
Quebec-Canada
Hi To All,

Thanks for your inputs, I Finished to book my flights. I Choose Montréal - Paris (Round-Trip) and then Santiago to Paris. I Found this is for me the simplest way to plan and to reduce my time flight. Time now to reserve my trains to SJPDP and the first albergues.

Thanks to to all again, we have an great community here !, I will back on the Camino !

La Brique.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Freewalker

Dec 14, 2015
Canada
Many and lots more to come.
Salut! I might be too late in responding! Perhaps for your next Camino you could fly Air Transat but choose the multi destination tab. I have booked this from Toronto - Lisbon, Madrid -Toronto. with A.Transat and it was not expensive. I have also booked AT from Toronto - Madrid, Porto - Toronto at an excellent price. Another multi flight with AT was Toronto - Faro, Madrid Toronto. AT has many affordable options. Also I saw a few interesting multi destination with AT. from Toronto to Lyon, Toulouse, Marseille all via MTL. Bon chemin et buen Camino.

Reactions: Cleenjones

La Brique Jaune

Jan 13, 2016
Quebec-Canada
Salut! I might be too late in responding! Perhaps for your next Camino you could fly Air Transat but choose the multi destination tab. I have booked this from Toronto - Lisbon, Madrid -Toronto. with A.Transat and it was not expensive. I have also booked AT from Toronto - Madrid, Porto - Toronto at an excellent price. Another multi flight with AT was Toronto - Faro, Madrid Toronto. AT has many affordable options. Also I saw a few interesting multi destination with AT. from Toronto to Lyon, Toulouse, Marseille all via MTL. Bon chemin et buen Camino.

Bonjour, Last time I book my return flight in the last days of the camino, I had to go to switzerland and come back. Long story short, I think I had a day a 21 hours 😴 All my flights are set up now. YUL-CDG, SCQ-PARIS,CDG-YUL..and I now speak in morse code.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Masou

Feb 4, 2024
Canada
plan for May 2024
Hi to All,

Have you given thought to flying or taking the train to Porto, Portugal then direct, unless you stay a couple of days. Beautiful city!

Thurland

Feb 3, 2014
Canada
Hi to All,

The first two times I flew in and out of Paris. Then I realized that multi city tickets are basically the same price as returning from the same airport.

And I love Porto.

So now I fly Montreal to Madrid, then Porto to Montreal. Porto is an easy 2-3 hr bus ride from Santiago

Last year after finishing the Primitivo in SdC, I had lots of time left over so I walked from SdC to the Porto Airport.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Dec 28, 2016
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
Hi to All,

I always bus it to Porto or Lisbon from Santiago (cheap and good service) and take a one way Air Transat home to Montreal. Always works vs booking a return ticket with different departure cities.

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Dec 28, 2016
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
The first two times I flew in and out of Paris. Then I realized that multi city tickets are basically the same price as returning from the same airport.

And I love Porto.

So now I fly Montreal to Madrid, then Porto to Montreal. Porto is an easy 2-3 hr bus ride from Santiago

Last year after finishing the Primitivo in SdC, I had lots of time left over so I walked from SdC to the Porto Airport.
Me too!

antepacem

May 14, 2013
Montreal, QC
There is something about your passport not expiring within 6 months of your flight out of Canada
Yes, you definitely have to have a passport with at least 6 months of validity to enter most countries. The question of whether you have to have a return flight or not isn't linked to that, though - you can still enter without a return flight if your passport is valid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

jgiesbrecht

Aug 27, 2019
Alberta, Canada
www.jgiesbrecht.com
Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia Sept-Oct 2020
Hi to All,

Fly back from santiago to paris...easy enough and decent price

Dec 13, 2018
Frances (2017), Portuguese (2019)
In 2017, I flew in via Bordeaux on Air Transat, and returned to Montreal by taking a train to Vigo and a short flight to Lisbon and then AT to Montreal the next day. The Porto flights were not running in October.
Good luck.

LALivingston

Jan 20, 2022
Canada
del Norte/Primitivo
Hi to All,

I flew Santiago to Dublin for 42 euros, and home to Toronto from there. I imagine there are flights from Dublin to Montreal

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dec 12, 2022
Ireland
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
Bonjour, Last time I book my return flight in the last days of the camino, I had to go to switzerland and come back. Long story short, I think I had a day a 21 hours 😴 All my flights are set up now. YUL-CDG, SCQ-PARIS,CDG-YUL..and I now speak in morse code.
Bon chemin!

Last edited:
  • Thank you
Reactions: La Brique Jaune

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.