• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Underwear for the Camino??

Yeah, that wasn't exactly on my mind while squatting over a hole in a fly infested, smelly, mud-walled Afghan outhouse after consuming a local meal cooked with "glorious" ghee.....:confused:
Mark, ghee was not your problem. But would not have traded this moment with you. Nor would all the Paleo ghee consuming people on this forum I'm sure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You had an outhouse? Man you were living large. A shallow donga was the norm for me!
Yeah, that wasn't exactly on my mind while squatting over a hole in a fly infested, smelly, mud-walled Afghan outhouse after consuming a local meal cooked with "glorious" ghee.....:confused:
All the experience that you folks possess...:eek: Impressive.:) Hmm.. I think we are entering into an area of a load of sh*t...

Last edited:
There I go again...I thought I read: When one wears a kilt, skirt or shorts...without underwear...it's considered "going commando".
As far as the kilt goes, the Black Watch, and other Highland Regiments used to inspect the troops before liberty to insure they were indeed...sans underwear.
I'm sure there are some first rank Highland Regiments; though in the British military only the Royal Marines are designated "Commando" i.e. 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines.
In that, clarified butter is used extensively in South West Asia (PK, AF, BG, IN) it can be very rich and unsettle the stomach. Now, pulling this all together to "clarify" my point of confusion: commando, bamboo, Hand hold Touchy Feely, et al.
Ghee, I finally get it :cool:

You need to get out more. Some companies even make camo underwear now. Not sure why you need camouflage underwear

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Alex - I'm paranoid about hygiene - in the Australian heat you have to be - and the idea of having to scrub those bike shorts at the albergue sinks, possibly with a queue waiting and maybe noticing how disgusting they are, was not going to be a highlight of each day!;)
Since putting up my post this morning I have checked with my physio, who's a former competition cyclist, and he says that EVERYONE you pass who's cycling is sans undies, so I will go with Saramago's excellent suggestion to see how the Hanro undies go as a liner - fingers crossed, and in any event I think it's going to be BYO scrubbing brush!:)
Cheers - Jenny

Haha - sure, the competition cyclists - have you seen their saddles???? You can buy baggy cycling shorts that take both terry and chamois inserts, so you don't have to wash the shorts each day!! Alternative is to put a real sheepskin (with the wool) cover on the saddle - problem solved!

- and, Alex, the cream is used to soften the chamois after it dries all wrinkly and hard ;)

mountain climbing, in the days of thorn-proof tweed and plus fours .. those chaps wore silk underwear ... silk (so I have read, not personal experience) is the best

€149,-
Hmm... You must have had quite some experiences; Pleace receive my respect. And I do not mean your squatting experiences. From one soldier to another (Me being the Arctic soldier, border controlling towards Soviet/Finland; It was really cold on those plains and mountains in wintertime.. Generally -30 C )and living in small tents with cerosine stoves in order to survive...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Intriguing. Anyone know where I can get silk budgie smuggling thongs from? :eek:
These sound just the ticket and I think they could be very popular amongst the more 'hip and happening' pilgrims! You know ... a certain "street cred" at albergues when you're all at the sinks washing your smalls ...! :)

Under Armour 9 inch--Must be good as I took 4 pair and 2 were stolen from drying lines. I don't normally experience chafing but I do when carrying a pack. Believe the waist belt on the backpack lifts up and moves my belt and trousers while walking causing chaffing on inner thighs.

Quick drying underwear and gore tex clothes will walk away from drying lines!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone. Just doing a bit of research on the best underwear to take for the Frances Camino. Has anyone tried the wool ones? How were they? Comfortable? Quick drying??? Any suggestions on brands are appreciated, and where you got them from. Cheers.

My wife and I hiked the Appalachian Trail this past year and I swear by "exoficio" underwear. They are light, comfortable, and you can dry overnight. I plan to take 2 or 3 pairs when we do the camino in May.

I laughed when I saw this thread initially but now I'm reading it with interest.
So I'll jump in and ask the question...

What's wrong with wearing the undies you wear at home? Mine don't bunch up or do anything else unusual after a day of running around at home. Especially women's panties (sorry about the P word but it fits). There is not much fabric involved and they dry quickly. I get the bike shorts/commando thing for cyclists but I will be walking...hopefully cheerfully in my regular undies.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Since I wear Macabi skirts when I backpack now, I don Ex Officio briefs with extremely lightweight silk undershorts from LL Bean to prevent "chub rub."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What's wrong with wearing the undies you wear at home? ... I will be walking...hopefully cheerfully in my regular undies.

I suppose it depends on what you wear at home. Not sure delicate Primadonna or Simone Perele undies would be suitable. Costco/Target 'sensible' panties, yeah, why not?

This thread is hilarious. My computer is supplying an add for a men's "underwear of the month" club: all different styles for those who would like to try out various options. However, I am afraid to click on the link and of course I don't qualify, as an
Albertagirl

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back