• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations along the way for Camino Frances

gkba03

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I am starting my walk on August 21. We already have accommodation in SJPDP. As I continuing planning for accommodations in Valcarlos and later cities, they are showing that most of the places are booked and not available. I am a bit concerned that we could be stuck in a city with no place to spend the night. We are okay with staying at an albergue or hostel. Can someone give us some idea what is the situation on the ground at this time of the year? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It sounds like you are looking at booking sites like booking.com. These sites do not have access to all the inventory of the accommodations on the way.

Check Gronze for direct booking links, phone numbers and email addresses.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a pilgrim just returning from the Camino, I can say that no place that I stayed was ever full. The only exception was that I wanted to stay in San Martin Pinero in Santiago at least one night and it was full. I had no trouble finding other accommodations.

I don't like to reserve ahead and usually just decide where I want to stay when it feels right. This is possible because I carry all my things with me. If you are shipping your luggage, you will want to look for a reservation so you will know where to send your bag and collect it.

This year we had to make a change because my husband needed to send his bag for health reasons about halfway through our journey. I found it simple to get a reservation one or two days ahead at that point. I didn't like it because I found it really changed the dynamic from staying in albergues to more private rooms. We met fewer people and it felt more like a vacation than a pilgrimage.

In any case, I did not find beds in short supply in June.

It’s the thing that seems to make most of us nervous, not finding a bed for the night after a long walk. Understandably.
I think I’ll put out a challenge to myself, and not book anything in advance, in September, and see what happens. Going solo will make it easier of course but nonetheless I might challenge the odds and the gods and see what gives. If it turns out to be a night or two en plein air, so be it.

If you can plan you walk to arrive at your destination by 2 or 2:30, I think you will be able to find a bed. Many albergues, even those who take reservations, keep aside a few beds for pilgrims who walk in.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a pilgrim just returning from the Camino, I can say that no place that I stayed was ever full. The only exception was that I wanted to stay in San Martin Pinero in Santiago at least one night and it was full. I had no trouble finding other accommodations.

I don't like to reserve ahead and usually just decide where I want to stay when it feels right. This is possible because I carry all my things with me. If you are shipping your luggage, you will want to look for a reservation so you will know where to send your bag and collect it.

This year we had to make a change because my husband needed to send his bag for health reasons about halfway through our journey. I found it simple to get a reservation one or two days ahead at that point. I didn't like it because I found it really changed the dynamic from staying in albergues to more private rooms. We met fewer people and it felt more like a vacation than a pilgrimage.

In any case, I did not find beds in short supply in June.
I pray your husband has recovered.

It sounds like you are looking at booking sites like booking.com. These sites do not have access to all the inventory of the accommodations on the way.

Check Gronze for direct booking links, phone numbers and email addresses.

Thanks Trecile, for this link to Gronze. I'm in Australia looking at Gronze on my PC and it's very user friendly, even being able to translate to English, but if I were to be in Spain on my next camino, how would that work. Do I need to download an app? and , is there a need to pay for a Gronze account? Is it available on a smart android phone via wifi? Previously I have used the Brierly guide, and last time members of my Camino family did all the hard work on their phones, I just tagged along. I'm thinking next Camino (hopefully with my wife) I would need to be proactive and this (new to me) Gronze program seems fantastico.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Peter, I have used Gronze on my Android phone. I looked up the gronze site on my phone and when I had it open, I bookmarked the page to my home screen and now, with wifi, it is a 1 touch opening to the Gronze site.

Thanks Trecile, for this link to Gronze. I'm in Australia looking at Gronze on my PC and it's very user friendly, even being able to translate to English, but if I were to be in Spain on my next camino, how would that work. Do I need to download an app? and , is there a need to pay for a Gronze account? Is it available on a smart android phone via wifi?

Gronze is simply a website (though they do have a maps only app for Android phones). This means that you can access it on any browser on any device, though if you use the Chrome browser (which you would have to download if you don't have it already), or, as I understand it the Safari browser on iPhone it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice. Be aware though that it also translates some place names, often with humorous results.

Use gronze.com andhe Wise Pilgrim app. I found Gronze hard to figure out at first. If you use your browser it will load in English but the translation of the names of some towns is confusing.
Marsha,
How do you use the GPS on Wiseapp?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Marsha,
How do you use the GPS on Wiseapp?

Wise Pilgrim is an app that has GPS enabled Maps that show where you are on the Camino (or if you have strayed). You need to download the app and the map for the route to be able to use it offline. I would recommend that you get the full (paid) version of the app for the most features.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s the thing that seems to make most of us nervous, not finding a bed for the night after a long walk. Understandably.
I think I’ll put out a challenge to myself, and not book anything in advance, in September, and see what happens. Going solo will make it easier of course but nonetheless I might challenge the odds and the gods and see what gives. If it turns out to be a night or two en plein air, so be it.
Thanks for the reminder. Very helpful.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Is this for Android or Apple phones? I couldn't find it on Apple.
Thanks.
I've never heard of it, but I did find the website for it. I have a new Samsung phone, and the page for this app on the Google Play site says that it's not compatible with my phone. I would definitely use the "tried and true" apps like Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino along with Gronze and Godesalco for planning purposes.

It sounds MARSKA is finding it useful to plan her first Camino later this year.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back