• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What are the best time to check into an albergue?

Darren John

Hello everyone!

My camino starts in 17 days and I can't wait to experience the way! But one quick question about check in times? What is typically the best time to arrive and check into an albergue? I want a full day of walking but don't won't to arrive to late to check in and find out that albergue is full up! any advice please?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone!

My camino starts in 17 days and I can't wait to experience the way! But one quick question about check in times? What is typically the best time to arrive and check into an albergue? I want a full day of walking but don't won't to arrive to late to check in and find out that albergue is full up! any advice please?
Like many questions in life the answer is 'it depends'. How busy is the section where you are walking? What is the weather? How do you feel? How many beds/bunks might be available? When do the albergue doors open ? So many contingencies make up the daily game plan! ...Walking in late autumn/winter I start at dawn and generally stop around 2pm.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hey Darren! As mspath said, it depends on a lot of things. Last May, the only day we reached a full albergue was after Cebreiro (Hospital, I think), and it was around 3pm, so we kept walking until Biduedo, where there was a very nice inn.

2pm seems to be an average good time, but it's wise to have some extra energy (or cash) in case you need to continue a bit more.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ms path starts at dawn. Even in Autumn/winter. What is the fixation with the early start on Camino? Many, I read, start in the dark.

Wherever I may be it is always a joy to watch dawn break: at 76 it is still a thrill to realize the limitless possibilities of another day!

Carpe diem!

27To_Castrojeriz2.jpg

.............................Sunrise west of Hontanas, 11/11/2012

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all, I also love to begin a walk at day break. It's nice in the morning and you can make very nice pictures.I walked in April and May the Camino Frances and we started every day at about 06.30 and had breakfast along the way. We walked about 24 km. average every day and we loved it. We where between 12.00 and 13.00 in the albergue. So we had the afternoon for site seeing.
Wish you all well, Peter.

Based on my experience walking in Mid September I tried to start my day at or before 6:00am. In retrospect this proved to be a disadvantage in some respects.

I missed many bridges, a lot of gorgeous scenery, and a lot of historic sites. More accurately, I walked on many famous bridges, walked past a lot of gorgeous scenery, and couldn't see many history sites because I was walking in the dark. Of course as the calendar days mount your days are getting shorter.

At least initially I was so concerned to get a bed, it was a fear I did not want to face. At least in the beginning I was probably too anxious about getting a bed and would stop walking around 1:00PM.

My new philosophy and best advice...... walk at your own pace and smell the roses. Take the time to see, hear, and feel everything you can possibly experience on this wonderful journey.

There is no question you will be satisfied with the final accomplishment......don't forget the days getting there.

Buen Camino!

C

I didn't like walking till noon and calling it a day, it felt like a waste of a day to stop so early, I usually liked to walk till about 1500-1600, sometimes earlier if there was a long stretch to the next town. This worked until I got to Villanfranca del Bierzo when I got into town and got the last bed at Albergue de la Piedra.
This opened my eyes to the large tour groups, 60 of the 80 beds at Fenix were reserved by a group, de la Piedra was mostly reserved by a large group, the municipal albergue was full and I got into town around 1530, so much for being able to walk later in the afternoon.
This is where you have to plan on stopping earlier than planned if you want a bed at Xunta albergues, they open up at 1300 with the queue out the door and are "completo" within 30 min after they open. I walked shorter days and skipped the Xunta albergues when I got to town because I knew they would be "completo" when I got in after 1400. I didn't care for the Xunta albergues, no functioning kitchen, you met the hospitalero at opening to take your money and after they were "completo" you would never see them again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ms path starts at dawn. Even in Autumn/winter. What is the fixation with the early start on Camino? Many, I read, start in the dark.

Various answers...
- If it gets very hot very early, I need to finish early i.e. before 13.00 at the latest because.... I now struggle in very hot temperatures.
- If staying in an albergue, invariably I get woken up early by pilgrims going to the bathroom, usually around 4.00/4.30.... And there's always more than one. So by 5.am, I am fully awake. Is it worth going back to sleep? I would if in a nice cosy hotel room but frankly, in a full, usually stifling dormitory....I just feel like grabbing my rucksack and GO. And as others have pointed out, you get to see the sunrise... It's unforgettable :) One morning leaving O'Cebreiro, we were also treated to LOTS of shooting stars. Magic!
- again mentioned before: some people are early risers, some are not. Each to their own :)

So no, there is no fixation, it's just people doing what is best for them. :)

Like Margaret, I frequently start at dawn. We're not talking about walking in the dark, we're talking about walking when much of the world is asleep, the quiet envelops you, and the sun bursts out to welcome you. On the practical side, you can avoid a lot of the day's heat. And if you're a natural born early riser like I am, it's really just a question of doing what comes naturally. Some of my most beautiful Camino moments have been at sunrise, every year I take a few pictures like this! Buen camino, Laurie

Sunrise.jpg

Thanks Perigrina and domigee. Point taken, but I have read repeatedly about the need for a torch / headlamp for 'walking in the dark'. I don't fancy that myself. I'm also not a get-up-at-6am kind of guy!! But, if one goes to bed earlier, with a day's walk to recover from and another to look forward to, things might change!!
Thanks for your help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are leaving SJPDP on 20 Aug. I think the excitement of finally starting the Camino will make us early starters!
HI there! Hope you ENJOY your Camino! We are leaving Wednesday 12 for our 3rd Camino - but we are ding the Portugese this time!!!!!
Geniet elke oomblik, en keer terug na die basiese!(basics) Dis heerlik! Dalk gan jul ook weer "terug" soos ons nou! Groete van SA!

HI there! Hope you ENJOY your Camino! We are leaving Wednesday 12 for our 3rd Camino - but we are ding the Portugese this time!!!!!
Geniet elke oomblik, en keer terug na die basiese!(basics) Dis heerlik! Dalk gan jul ook weer "terug" soos ons nou! Groete van SA!
Dankie Ria! Dis net n proe om vertroud te raak met die stappery want ons stap net vir n week. Ek is 100% oortuig ons sal die res nog voltooi!! Sterkte met jul stappery !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.