• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 days to Santiago starting Sep 27th

sundance20

Hi All,

I'm planning to walk for 10 days from Sep 27th 2013 and looking for advice on which route to follow.
Over the years I have walked from Tui, from Ferrol and from O Cebreiro all to Santiago. I have also walked from Leon to O Cebreiro and SJPDP to Logrono.

I like meeting people on the way and would prefer not to walk an extremely solitary route. Equally, I don't like over crowded routes so I tend to avoid high season.

Here are the options I'm considering:
1. Porto to Santiago by the Coast
2. Porto to Santiago by traditional inland route.
3. Sarria to Santiago and on to Finistere and Muxia.

So exciting to have so many great options to consider.
Any advice on which road to take or indeed any alternatives very welcome.

Thanks
Vincent

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We intend to walk the Coastal Route, starting in Porto on 2nd October. We will first walk the Primitivo as far as Lugo and the travel over to Porto to continue our Pilgrimage from there. Anne

Hi All,

I'm planning to walk for 10 days from Sep 27th 2013 and looking for advice on which route to follow.
Over the years I have walked from Tui, from Ferrol and from O Cebreiro all to Santiago. I have also walked from Leon to O Cebreiro and SJPDP to Logrono.

I like meeting people on the way and would prefer not to walk an extremely solitary route. Equally, I don't like over crowded routes so I tend to avoid high season.

Thanks
Vincent
Hi Vincent,
Would avoid Sarria route - crowded with young Spaniards
Getting a minimal Credencial for their CVs!

Have walked inland Porto, last Autumn - loved it.
Am doing the Coastal, early this September - has recommendations from friends.
Buen Caminho,

Jojm

Intresting question You'll like to meet people ! My wife and I walked Lisbon to Santiago last May and June. Intending to follow the coast from Porto via Caminha, Baiona en Vigo to the central route at Redondela and so on to Santiago.
We walked first day leaving Porto to Vila do Conde. Only here and there a small village and mostly summerhouses ,abandonned by the locals who only come there during the weekends so we did not meet anybody at all. You will walk alone all the way along the coast ! So we decided to change the route from there to the inland route from where we met the people in the albergues and on their way.
The most people you'll meet from Valenca/Tui but as I read you have done that yet.
Bom caminho

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We intend to walk the Coastal Route, starting in Porto on 2nd October. We will first walk the Primitivo as far as Lugo and the travel over to Porto to continue our Pilgrimage from there. Anne
That sounds like a great combination of routes you have planned Anne. If I do the coastal route i will be about 5 days ahead of you guys. Vincent

Hi Vincent,
Would avoid Sarria route - crowded with young Spaniards
Getting a minimal Credencial for their CVs!

Have walked inland Porto, last Autumn - loved it.
Am doing the Coastal, early this September - has recommendations from friends.
Buen Caminho,

Jojm
Thanks for your advice. Is that the old bridge in Arcade in your picture?
When you walked last Autumn, did you meet many other walkers between Porto and Valenca?
Enjoy your Camino in September along the coast. Vincent

Intresting question You'll like to meet people ! My wife and I walked Lisbon to Santiago last May and June. Intending to follow the coast from Porto via Caminha, Baiona en Vigo to the central route at Redondela and so on to Santiago.
We walked first day leaving Porto to Vila do Conde. Only here and there a small village and mostly summerhouses ,abandonned by the locals who only come there during the weekends so we did not meet anybody at all. You will walk alone all the way along the coast ! So we decided to change the route from there to the inland route from where we met the people in the albergues and on their way.
The most people you'll meet from Valenca/Tui but as I read you have done that yet.
Bom caminho
Thanks, I think for me walking alone on the coast at a time when there will be few fellow walkers and few locals or tourists isn't appealing.
I have heard the coastal route is truly stunning and hopefully I will get to walk it some year, but I think I will wait to walk with friends or maybe in summer.
At the same time I believe any walkers who are experienced at walking solo and enjoy a quieter route will delight in having all this amazing scenery to themselves.
There are so many caminos and all so different at various times of year.
In short, I am going to decide between:
1. Porto to Santiago (inland route)
2. Sarria to Finistere

Planning your Camino is so much fun :)
Vincent

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your advice. Is that the old bridge in Arcade in your picture?
When you walked last Autumn, did you meet many other walkers between Porto and Valenca?
Enjoy your Camino in September along the coast. Vincent

Hola

There was a good variety, if that is the right word, of walkers of
Different ages and countries.

I cannot judge about Sarria. Only heard about it from a good Spanish friend who walked from there. Walking from Sarria belongs to the CV of many Spanish schoolpupils so it can be very busy on the trail.
Porto to Santiago is a good choice. We made it and just to taste a bit of the Coastal ,walk from Porto Matosinhos to Vila do Conde (see the detour in John Brierly's guide ) and follow from there the inland trail to São Pedro de Rates and so on.
Succes and bom caminho

I cannot judge about Sarria. Only heard about it from a good Spanish friend who walked from there. Walking from Sarria belongs to the CV of many Spanish schoolpupils so it can be very busy on the trail.
Porto to Santiago is a good choice. We made it and just to taste a bit of the Coastal ,walk from Porto Matosinhos to Vila do Conde (see the detour in John Brierly's guide ) and follow from there the inland trail to São Pedro de Rates and so on.
Succes and bom caminho
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi All,

Thanks
Vincent
Going from Sarria to Santiago and on to Finisterre if I have time. Leaving Sept.14.

We've walked Sarria-Santiago on a few occasions more or less during this period of the year (except last year in the beginning of October), and I walked here also at the end of last May. I'm inclined to call this stretch the "Camino highway" :D because "you never walk alone". Which is an understatement:D. Depending upon the weather conditions on the day(s) before your passage, the path is either very enjoyable or pretty muddy. Galicia has its rainy days, although it doesn't have to be all day long. Be prepared (boots, gaiters, poncho) but you may also have some pretty warm days during the second half of September. There is plenty of accommodation of all types to choose from along the path, particularly in the towns. Outside these towns you can find some very attractive private albergues:). Take a list along with their telephone numbers in case you feel that you may need to reserve ahead (avoiding the "pilgrim waves" :eek:) Don't panic if groups of various nationalities overtake you. They usually peter out along the way and often are taken by bus or taxi to a more sophisticated dwelling in town.;)
Enjoy you Camino to Santiago and the walk to Fisterra. Try to fit Muxia in you discovery.
Ultreya!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We've walked Sarria-Santiago on a few occasions more or less during this period of the year (except last year in the beginning of October), and I walked here also at the end of last May. I'm inclined to call this stretch the "Camino highway" :D because "you never walk alone". Which is an understatement:D. Depending upon the weather conditions on the day(s) before your passage, the path is either very enjoyable or pretty muddy. Galicia has its rainy days, although it doesn't have to be all day long. Be prepared (boots, gaiters, poncho) but you may also have some pretty warm days during the second half of September. There is plenty of accommodation of all types to choose from along the path, particularly in the towns. Outside these towns you can find some very attractive private albergues:). Take a list along with their telephone numbers in case you feel that you may need to reserve ahead (avoiding the "pilgrim waves" :eek:) Don't panic if groups of various nationalities overtake you. They usually peter out along the way and often are taken by bus or taxi to a more sophisticated dwelling in town.;)
Enjoy you Camino to Santiago and the walk to Fisterra. Try to fit Muxia in you discovery.
Ultreya!
Thanks a million for all your advice, I walked from O Cebreiro to Santiago in 2008 but from what I hear the "Camino Highway" has got a whole lot busier since then.
I think the mix of lots of people from Sarria and a quieter stretch from Santiago - Muxia - Finistere is appealing to me and this is the route I will probably follow, leaving the Portugese Camino for another year, hopefully!
I guess you will spend the next few months planning your next Camino :)

Hi Anne, My daughter and I plan on leaving Porto on the 8th Oct and we are planning on walking the Coastal route. You might be leaving earlier than us - but if you want to compare notes about plans I would love to know where you are planning on staying etc. I have heard that there won't be as many places open during the day for food, but I figure we will just make sandwiches or something for our lunches! We are used to hiking in New Zealand mountains so we are trying to get our heads around what is and isn't needed! Anyway - good luck!

Hi Anne, My daughter and I plan on leaving Porto on the 8th Oct and we are planning on walking the Coastal route. You might be leaving earlier than us - but if you want to compare notes about plans I would love to know where you are planning on staying etc. I have heard that there won't be as many places open during the day for food, but I figure we will just make sandwiches or something for our lunches! We are used to hiking in New Zealand mountains so we are trying to get our heads around what is and isn't needed! Anyway - good luck!
At the moment, we have just done research on line, as we always do, because there aren't any guides available here in Costa Rica. I use mundicamino.com and the eroski site caminodesantiago.consumer.es, which is in Spanish. We stayed in a nice hotel in Oporto last year, when traveling through Hotel B&B Porto and hope to do the same this year. Sorry, but I haven't much to offer, so far our serious research has been dedicated to the Camino Primitivo, which we will be walking before going over to Oporto. Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, I think for me walking alone on the coast at a time when there will be few fellow walkers and few locals or tourists isn't appealing.
I have heard the coastal route is truly stunning and hopefully I will get to walk it some year, but I think I will wait to walk with friends or maybe in summer.
At the same time I believe any walkers who are experienced at walking solo and enjoy a quieter route will delight in having all this amazing scenery to themselves.
There are so many caminos and all so different at various times of year.
In short, I am going to decide between:
1. Porto to Santiago (inland route)
2. Sarria to Finistere

Planning your Camino is so much fun :)
Vincent
Hi Vincent. Although I've got no Camihno experience yet, my plan is to leave Porto about the same time as you are and to follow the coastal route as well. My only disappointment now is that the weather appears to be changing - a lot. It looks like the whole country of Portugal will be under rain showers. And so I wonder...is that Seattle rain (which I'm accustomed to!) or Indiana rain or Florida rain? Yikes! I honestly just finished packing a bunch of summery-type clothing because up until now it's been just beautiful in Portugal.

I want to stay with the coastal route for the scenery, but I also need to travel quite frugally, which will be difficult if I'm not able to stay in hostels or refugios.

And I like you am making this trek alone (for me it's an inward journey I need!), and I would also like to mingle. In addition, I look for other-than-tourist experiences.

What are your plans, then? Did you decide? (And yes, I did read down to later comments............just wondering what you've set your mind on now!)

Thanks, and Bom Cominho!

Laurie

P.S. I'm glad you think the planning is fun. It's absolutely stressed me to my limit! But then, that's part of why I'm doing this in the first place, to push through these things.

Ella_leah I would be interested in hearing about your plans for your first few days. Will you take transit to Motsinhos to start? I plan on walking along the river and was hoping to then stay in Motsinhos, as I hear there is a Refugio there. But not sure where.

Hi Ella. I have to figure out the details of my start today. I have a place reserved in Vila do Conde fpr Saturday, which should be for Friday (I've goofed with my days!) and one in Viana do Castelo Monday, which should be for Sunday. Glad you asked. Guess I'd better get those fixed, unless I delay my start by one day. It's raining here. Can you believe it? Really yucky. Oh well, such is the journey!

I haven't planned other stays. Not really sure how this will unfold...lots of information here which I've printed and can use along the way most certainly.

Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Dora, I was originally planning on walking out from the cathedral, but I am now considering taking a train or bus to motsinhos. We are planning on staying in private accommodation, so have been putting together lists of places in case we need to book ahead or find something quickly! I spoke to someone from the area there today and he suggested that we take warm clothes as it can get very wet and windy!

Laurie, so far I have only booked Lisbon and Porto and am hoping that we will find places along the way easy enough. We are taking as much info as we can to be prepared though!

We are preparing our packs at the moment and trying to work out what we truly need! We are in Spain for a couple of weeks after as well, however are planning on just wearing the same gear or having a shopping trip after the walk though!

We only have a week to go now and so we are getting excited, but there still seems like there are so many things to do before we go. I am starting to feel as though we can do it now though.

Good luck to you both - I will be looking out for posts about your journeys!

Cheers Ella

Hi Ella and Laurie
...and others on the forum and on the Camino..

Laurie I hope you are dry wherever you are! (Perhaps somewhere past Vila de Conde).
Ella I am a few weeks behind you in departure (nov 6), but getting very excited as well!

I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish ... I think this may stress me out when it comes to finding places to stay.

... the explorer

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back