• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in 7 days

eletpotgieter

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago de Compostela in 2025
Good day,

I hope someone can guide me. My partner and I want to walk the Coastal Camino from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in 7 days. Has anyone done it before? What was your route and distances per day?

I found the following route:

Porto to Esposende
52.2km​
Esposende - Vila Praia de Ancora
43km​
Vila Praia de Ancora - Oia
28km​
Oia - Vigo
43km​
Vigo - Pontevedra
35km​
Pontevedra - Padron
19km​
Padron - Santiago de Compostela
23km​

Is this possible?? I guess anything is hahaha

I would really appreciate feedback.

Regards,
Elet for South Africa

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Elet!
Welcome to the forum

Do you only have 7 days? (or could you add more? i defo would to spend time in Porto, Santiago and several more places along the way)
(Only my opinion but to come all that way and not include the Espiritual Variant from Pontevedra would be a shame others will differ on that)
Do you want a Compostela?
All the way from SA to rush this beautiful walk !
Whatever you do have a wonderful twalk
Buen Camino
Woody

Hi Elet,
I see you joined the forum this morning and this is your first post. So it's unclear whether you've had a look at the existing threads on the Camino Portugues section of this forum, or whether you are familiar with planning tools like Gronze or other apps/guides like Wise Pilgrim. Gronze might help you plan more even stages. I think that front-loading almost 100km in the first 2 days is a high risk approach, even if you are used to walking these distances consecutively, particularly if you are arriving at Porto after a long journey.
When people join the forum and immediately post this kind of unusual question as their first message we get a little suspicious. We think it might be some kind of social media stunt. So it'd be great to hear more about your plans and reasons for doing the Portugues camino this way. thanks, tom

Good day,

I hope someone can guide me. My partner and I want to walk the Coastal Camino from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in 7 days. Has anyone done it before? What was your route and distances per day?

Porto to Esposende
52.2km​
43km​
28km​
Oia - Vigo
43km​
Vigo - Pontevedra
35km​
Pontevedra - Padron
19km​
23km​

Regards,
Elet for South Africa
I would try and smoooth out the distances as it look like ‘all or nothing’! I found a huge change in my ability to walk longer stances after a few days so if anything I would do the bigger distances towards the end.

It's a shame to rush walking on a route that by it's very nature is there to be enjoyed and soaked up, but of course we don't all have the luxury of time.

If you are used to walking those distances on a constant daily basis, then of course you can do it. Otherwise, if not, you may find you run into problems sustaining such high daily KM's, which will suck even more enjoyment out of it than rushing does.

There are many members ( you know who you are ;) ) here who have good stamina and are able to walk very long days and at the same time do not feel they are rushing or missing a Caminospirit.
A minority maybe, but still their walks are IMO as worthwile as those who chose to walk shorter stages.

See his thread, amongst others on this subject.

When posting questions like this it would be good to tell more about the background motivation and experience. That gives a person who wants to react a basis. For instance
Are you accustomed to walk 52 km and do you like it?
Do you want to finish in Santiago?
Have you only 7 days available for walking
If you got enough time I would walk more days and include the variante espiritual

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are many members ( you know who you are ;) ) here who have good stamina and are able to walk very long days and at the same time do not feel they are rushing or missing a Caminospirit.
A minority maybe, but still their walks are IMO as worthwile as those who chose to walk shorter stages.

See his thread, amongst others on this subject.

@SabsP you are of course correct. There are no rules as to what speed you must go and each person will enjoy the Camino for different reasons, or have their own personal aims.

Why you want to rush? Your itinary sounds like your Camino will be ending on the second day.

I mentioned it before and will repeat it: it's more a question of willpower and mind than a question of training and equipment. It is possible. But is it rational or sensible?

A few days prior my CF in 2019 there was a german guy running towards SdC from SJPdP (first day was SJPdP to Pamplona). AFAIK he reached SdC in 9 days, making more than 80km in average per day. But: he was a passionate marathon runner with a crew for support.

I walked the CP last year in 10/11 days and it felt, that I rushed.
If you have not the time, better start in Tui and walk your pace without a strict plan.

Just my 2 cents!

Good day,

Porto to Esposende
52.2km​
43km​
28km​
Oia - Vigo
43km​
Vigo - Pontevedra
35km​
Pontevedra - Padron
19km​
23km​

Regards,
Elet for South Africa
It's doable and likely been done before, if not in six days. I recall like it was yesterday being up well before dawn on my first camino, staying in the packed albergue in Puente La Reina. A young man joined me for a light breakfast. He had started in Brussels and was averaging...yes, averaging...50kms a day, meaning he did more on some days. I decided to take the high road, admiring his feat. I actually got out the door before him and watched as he raced past me. To be sure, while my camino was unforgettable, so was his.

CAN it be done? Sure, it’s not physically impossible. Can it be done by you? No idea - do you routinely walk marathon distances every day? Should it be done? Everyone will have an opinion on that but only your’s matters to you. Would I do that? No, I do not have the ability nor the desire for that type of journey. Good luck on your decision and travels.

Some of your numbers are wrong? For example, Pontevedra to Padron is around 50kms not 19kms.
I would change your starting point to Tui on the Spanish/Portuguese border and relax a bit if you only have 7 days or rent a bike !

Yeah, not sure how they’d do it in 19kms even if they headed to the coast and took a boat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some of your numbers are wrong? For example, Pontevedra to Padron is around 50kms not 19kms.
I would change your starting point to Tui on the Spanish/Portuguese border and relax a bit if you only have 7 days or rent a bike !
i agree some of his numbers are way off in regards to total length of the Coastal. I know different sources have slight variances of distance for camino routes. I have always read that the Coastal was between 265 and 280K. I know there are some variants on the coastal. But his numbers add up to 240 mas o menos.

I'd have to look back but I think I did it in 8 but that was after many years of walking various Caminos averaging 33+ km per day and the Francés twice at 40+ km per day (not planned from the outset). I personally question starting out with so many km unless this is something you are accustomed to.

Good day,

Porto to Esposende
52.2km​
43km​
28km​
Oia - Vigo
43km​
Vigo - Pontevedra
35km​
Pontevedra - Padron
19km​
23km​

Regards,
Elet for South Africa
That's certainly an ambitious schedule! I guess it depends on your abilities and determination. I'm currently planning a similar route (Coastal first and then connecting to the Central route at Vila Nova de Cerveira. I'm doing it with my wife and we are not in a hurry. We're averaging about 12 miles per day over 13 days. Experience with both the French Route and the California Mission Trail tells me that n average of 12 miles per day is a sustainable and enjoyable pace for me .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Good day,

Porto to Esposende
52.2km​
43km​
28km​
Oia - Vigo
43km​
Vigo - Pontevedra
35km​
Pontevedra - Padron
19km​
23km​

Regards,
Elet for South Africa
Hi Elet. To start of with a 53 and a 43 km is quite hectic.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back