• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

12th March 2013

Gsyway

Hi,
I'm starting my first Camino from St Jean PDP on March 12th. I've found this forum has been really useful. I was wondering whether anybody else was starting then? If so message me here

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sign up for the Calendar at the bottom of the page and you can see who else is around at that time. Internet Explorer not recognising the calendar - try a different browser.

Hi! I'll be there around 21st March, but I reckon you should check out other forums on or around your dates, there are some serious weather issues happening between SJPP and Rocensvalles - in fact, through to Pamplona (I think). But I suggest you have a plan B... and maybe C... Hope to see you there,
Bien Camino
Gina & Georgia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I am hoping to leave around March 18th - a few days after you. Echo the concerns about the weather and thinking of travelling to start from Pamplona instead of St Jean. Disappointed! :(

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Disappointed! :(
Facing one of the great adventures of a lifetime, and you will start disappointed? :D :D

Attitude is everything. Be joyous...

Thank you! What you say is true and a timely reminder. Muchisamas gracias.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting on the 12th of March as well. Thats if the weather is good enough to cross the first day. Arriving in from Bayonne the night before. Maybe see you on the track then!

Kiwi_Duindam said:
Starting on the 12th of March as well. Thats if the weather is good enough to cross the first day. Arriving in from Bayonne the night before. Maybe see you on the track then!

Hi!

I'm in bayonne the night of the 10th-11th, taking the slow train to St Jeanne the afternoon of the 11th. Setting out bright and early on the 12th to be in Rocensvalles that evening.

Is that a similiar plan to yours? I'll PM you also.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Starting the March 10th weather dependent may wait a few days to see if it clears or start from Pamploma....Buen Camino. Cant wait... :D

My wife and I will be starting on March 15th from St. Jean. We also hope that the weather is agreeable. If not, we'll roll with the punches. :D

My son and I are starting from St Jean on St Patricks Day, 17th March, my first his second. Also concerned about the weather. Forecast is rain Monday 11th turning to prolonged snow for Tuesday accumulating 3 to 6cm around St Jean 6 to 12 Roncevalles and 1 to 3 around Pamplona. Seriously considering transport to Pamplona and start from there as the weather from there on does not look bad at all. As a veteran told me this morning, the Pyrenees have been there a long time and he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day, so might leave the Route Napolean until a warmer month next year. If anyone in St Jean around 17th we could if necessary organise a taxi share to split the costs

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If anyone in St Jean around 17th we could if necessary organise a taxi share to split the costs
I suspect that the Pilgrim Office will be very helpful in doing that. They do not want to see pilgrims take risks, and like minded persons will be hanging around there. Talk to a volunteer, or just start asking other pilgrims if they would like to share a taxi. You will be meeting a lot of strangers over the next few days, so start being bold at first opportunity. I don't think I have ever experienced rejection when approaching others. Everyone has the same trepidation that you may have!

Buen camino!

The weather forecast has changed for week starting 10th March not great but better than previously. No snow in St Jean and the 6 to 12cm for Roncevalles down to 1 to 3. Temperatures have also increased

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow - delighted by all the responses, Good luck to all. The weather forecast for St J PDP is improving - no longer showing snow nor -ve Degrees for the 12th!

If the weather does turn and the pilgrim office says not to try either route i'll probably try and share a taxi to Roncevalles or travel to Pamplona.

Gsyway said:
Wow - delighted by all the responses, Good luck to all. The weather forecast for St J PDP is improving - no longer showing snow nor -ve Degrees for the 12th!

If the weather does turn and the pilgrim office says not to try either route i'll probably try and share a taxi to Roncevalles or travel to Pamplona.

Hi Gsyway,

I don't know whether or not you've been following a thread I started about the weather and information on conditions on the Camino from St. Jean Pied-de-Port or not. I have been trying to keep folks updated on the weather and walking conditions from St. Jean to Zubiri. You can find it in this forum under the title IMPORTANT: Advice for pilgrims setting off in March 2013 but just in case, I'll repost here. This is the latest info, from yesterday evening. I will be in touch with the Guardia Civil in the valley again over the weekend:

Hello everyone,

I have just been on the telephone once more with both the Guardia Civil and the Colegiata de Roncesvalles about the situation in the valley. Here's the latest for folks arriving this weekend.

From St. Jean Pied-de-Port: Under no circumstances should you follow the Route Napoleon over the mountains. There is still snow there and the weather is still very unstable up top. There have been two helicopter rescues this week! If you begin in St. Jean Pied-de-Port, take the Valcarlos route and stay on the asphalted (metalled) highway. That is what they are advising. There are points where the Camino leaves the highway and goes off into the forest. Don't do that, stay on the highway. Yes, that will make for a longer journey, but it's what the Guardia Civil is advising.

And wear the yellow or orange safety vests that were discussed on this thread previously as you will be walking on the highway. Spanish law requires this and you could be fined if you don't. You should be able to buy reflective safety vests in St. Jean Pied-de-Port if you can't get them before leaving home, but do remember that you need to be visible from front and back, so a reflective yellow or orange rain poncho large enough to cover you and your pack might be a better option.

From Roncesvalles to Zubiri: The snow has melted off for the most part. There's lots of mud, so be careful on some of the ascents and descents on the trail, especially at the passes of Mezkiritz and Mt. Erro (I'm thinking particularly of the descent from Erro into Zubiri). The Camino intersects the asphalted highway at several points, so if you find it too hard a slog with the mud and water, you can always rejoin the road. If you do wear the safety vests/ponchos. Exercise caution in all cases on slick trails.

Weather forecast:It is currently 13ºC (56ºF) and raining in Roncesvalles. There will be more rain and cool to mild temps over the next five days. The weather forecast for the next five days is as follows:

- Friday 8 March: cloudy and chilly with showers throughout the day. A high of 9ºC (48ºF)
- Saturday 9 March: partly sunny with showers throughout the day. A high of 11ºC (52ºF)
- Sunday 10 March: chilly with rain and drizzle all day. A high of 9ºC (49ºF)
- Monday 11 March: some showers throughout the morning. A high of 9ºC (48ºF)
- Tuesday 12 March: colder with snow. A high of 1ºC (35ºF)

As always, be prudent, stay safe and I'll keep posting updates as needed. God bless!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back