• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago March 2024

Montegras

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2024, Easter Week
My wife and I will be hiking March 2024 during Easter Week from Sarria to Santiago. I have the following questions:

1) how much rain can I expect
2) do I need weatherproof hiking shoes, or should I get hiking shoes that breathe
3) I assume most of the bar and restaurants will be open along the hike.
4) we are doing the luggage transfer so just taking a day pack, we will also be staying in hotels
5) I assume layers of clothing, how much rain gear do you suggest?
6) taking the train from Madrid to Sarria, any tips?
7) any additional tips or recommendations would be helpful

thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do assume that it will be quite busy on Easter week. I don't know that everything will be open. Many places don't open until after Easter. Correos will do bag transfer all year long on that stretch of the Camino.

Only one train a day from Madrid to Sarria direct. Buy your tickets in advance since it will be busy over Easter. Tickets won't go on sale until a month or so out, but keep checking. I use the Trainline app as it will accepted my US credit card while the Spanish train system Renfe does not.

Do bring rain gear. It rains a lot in this part of Spain. You can decide about waterproof shoes. Once they do get wet they are difficult to dry. Non waterproof shoes will dry quickly, but your feet will be wetter when it rains. Temperatures will be cool this time of year.

edit: make sure to get reservations in Santiago early as it will be full of people celebrating Easter week.

Last edited:
Do assume that it will be quite busy on Easter week. I don't know that everything will be open. Many places don't open until after Easter. Correos will do bag transfer all year long on that stretch of the Camino.

Only one train a day from Madrid to Sarria direct. Buy your tickets in advance since it will be busy over Easter. Tickets won't go on sale until a month or so out, but keep checking. I use the Trainline app as it will accepted my US credit card while the Spanish train system Renfe.

Do bring rain gear. It rains a lot in this part of Spain. You can decide about waterproof shoes. Once they do get wet they are difficult to dry. Non waterproof shoes will dry quickly, but your feet will be wetter when it rains. Temperatures will be cool this time of year.

edit: make sure to get reservations in Santiago early as it will be full of people celebrating Easter week.
Thank you so much, great insight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I will be hiking March 2024 during Easter Week from Sarria to Santiago. I have the following questions:

2) do I need weatherproof hiking shoes, or should I get hiking shoes that breathe
4) we are doing the luggage transfer so just taking a day pack, we will also be staying in hotels

thank you
Is there a particular reason why you have chosen to walk during Semana Santa? That is likely the busiest period on the path between Sarria and Santiago in the entire year. Some will suggest that the build up to the Festivo de Santiago Apostal in July is busier but most attendees for that thrash arrive other than on foot.

Between Sarria and Santiago everything will be open, and will be busy. If you haven’t booked your desired accommodations, particularly in Santiago you should do that soon. If you are using a service provider check carefully the itinerary and accommodations they are suggesting.

Rain? Rain gear? Yes it will and yes you will need some. If you have luggage transfer you can elect for heavier but more effective Goretex outerwear and not sweat over perspiration issues. Goretex shoes, once wet on the inside are no different to non-waterproof shoes except they take longer to dry. If it rains all the time it really doesn’t matter after a while. Wear wool socks.

Happy planning

1. It's probably going to be kinda rainy. Here's a site where you can check what the weather was like in previous years.
2. Shoes ultimately come down to "what works best for your feet", but generally neither hiking shoes nor waterproof shoes are recommended. Hiking shoes are bulky, heavy, and usually overkill. Waterproof shoes are nice when it's raining, but take forever to try out once water actually gets into them.
5. A poncho. If you're doing luggage transfer, maybe a rain jacket that covers your daypack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And just to be contradictory, it DIDN'T rain at all from the 24th-29th March 2019, Sarria-SdC.
I know, I was there!

Likewise, my gortex boots never got wet on the inside.
Because........they are gortex ;)

I walked this year in non waterproof shoes for the first time and the one day it rained, I was miserable with soaking feet all day. 2-3 days of that in a row and I would have had blisters. No doubt.

But hey.........most people walk in non waterproof footwear and cope fine.

I now use trail runners, non waterproof. Great! (in the dry)

(I can't wear my gortex boots anymore due to bad knees and they are too heavy)

@Montegras You will find lots of great advice on this Forum. But sometimes it varies.
Because we can only share our own experiences.
Hopefully though it gives you a range of ideas and perspectives.

thank you
I was on that stretch in March of this year - 9 days before Easter. Many little cafes, hotels, albergues were closed. The weather was miserable- cold wet rain and windy. Thankfully we had warm hats and glives. A day out of Santiago - the weather cleared it was sunny and beautiful. We had reservations in small casas and hotels … lovely places along the way which made the experience delightful- every night great sleep, good food, and for the most part a warm repass. We used baggage service and wore gortex rain jackets that covered our day packs. Layered. I found this part of the Frances (and again each person has their own opinion) not so scenic or charming compared to SJPDP to Burgos… I agree with other responses — make reservations early. Also if it works out (they dont fly everyday) you might want to check out return to Madrid on Ryan Air — cheaper than the train and it was easy enough to get taxi to airport : set price 25 euro

Is there a particular reason why you have chosen to walk during Semana Santa? That is likely the busiest period on the path between Sarria and Santiago in the entire year. Some will suggest that the build up to the Festivo de Santiago Apostal in July is busier but most attendees for that thrash arrive other than on foot.

Between Sarria and Santiago everything will be open, and will be busy. If you haven’t booked your desired accommodations, particularly in Santiago you should do that soon. If you are using a service provider check carefully the itinerary and accommodations they are suggesting.

Rain? Rain gear? Yes it will and yes you will need some. If you have luggage transfer you can elect for heavier but more effective Goretex outerwear and not sweat over perspiration issues. Goretex shoes, once wet on the inside are no different to non-waterproof shoes except they take longer to dry. If it rains all the time it really doesn’t matter after a while. Wear wool socks.

Happy planning
We choose that week because my wife is a teacher, and that time period is her Easter break. In my profession I can't take time off in the summer so it's a compromise from our work schedule but thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
1. It's probably going to be kinda rainy. Here's a site where you can check what the weather was like in previous years.
2. Shoes ultimately come down to "what works best for your feet", but generally neither hiking shoes nor waterproof shoes are recommended. Hiking shoes are bulky, heavy, and usually overkill. Waterproof shoes are nice when it's raining, but take forever to try out once water actually gets into them.
5. A poncho. If you're doing luggage transfer, maybe a rain jacket that covers your daypack.
Great, thanks for your recommendations

Likewise, my gortex boots never got wet on the inside.
Because........they are gortex ;)

I walked this year in non waterproof shoes for the first time and the one day it rained, I was miserable with soaking feet all day. 2-3 days of that in a row and I would have had blisters. No doubt.

But hey.........most people walk in non waterproof footwear and cope fine.

I now use trail runners, non waterproof. Great! (in the dry)

(I can't wear my gortex boots anymore due to bad knees and they are too heavy)

@Montegras You will find lots of great advice on this Forum. But sometimes it varies.
Because we can only share our own experiences.
Hopefully though it gives you a range of ideas and perspectives.
yes, that's all I'm looking for is some insights based on your experience. thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was on that stretch in March of this year - 9 days before Easter. Many little cafes, hotels, albergues were closed. The weather was miserable- cold wet rain and windy. Thankfully we had warm hats and glives. A day out of Santiago - the weather cleared it was sunny and beautiful. We had reservations in small casas and hotels … lovely places along the way which made the experience delightful- every night great sleep, good food, and for the most part a warm repass. We used baggage service and wore gortex rain jackets that covered our day packs. Layered. I found this part of the Frances (and again each person has their own opinion) not so scenic or charming compared to SJPDP to Burgos… I agree with other responses — make reservations early. Also if it works out (they dont fly everyday) you might want to check out return to Madrid on Ryan Air — cheaper than the train and it was easy enough to get taxi to airport : set price 25 euro
thank you for your response and sharing your experience, it was helpful.

luck of the draw I guess, glad it worked out for you.u
Lucky? me?
It didn't rain between 28th Feb and the 23rd March either!
29 days on the Frances without a drop (apart from a few drops while I was inside the 19th hole having a drink at the golf course west of Najera).
Would this be a good time to tell you I'm walking the Portuguese with my grandsons in the week after you.?
I suggest you take a snow shovel, skis and an ice axe because if I've got it right, you can be sure the opposite will be true for the week either side.

Hi
Just to confuse the issue a little more. I take waterproof socks and trail runners, I've found that to be a compromise that works quite well. They weigh little, take up no real space but save your feet if the weather turns wet.

Martin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Only one train a day from Madrid to Sarria direct. Buy your tickets in advance since it will be busy over Easter. Tickets won't go on sale until a month or so out, but keep checking. I use the Trainline app as it will accepted my US credit card while the Spanish train system Renfe does not.

I have a question the Palas De Rey to Aruza is also most 18 miles is this section difficult in 1 day can it be easily accomplished or would you split the section in 2 days.

We did it last week and it was pouring down rain. We broke it up and stayed at Melide and went on to Arzua the next day. There were others who were doing it in one day and who were caught in the downpour and I felt bad for them...It would be a long day for me to do in one go.

I had gortex ankle height boots. They were wet inside, but I stuffed them with paper and put them on the radiator and they were fine the next morning... Water was up to my ankles in the lower areas coming into Melide.

We did it last week and it was pouring down rain. We broke it up and stayed at Melide and went on to Arzua the next day. There were others who were doing it in one day and who were caught in the downpour and I felt bad for them...It would be a long day for me to do in one go.

I had gortex ankle height boots. They were wet inside, but I stuffed them with paper and put them on the radiator and they were fine the next morning... Water was up to my ankles in the lower areas coming into Melide.
Assuming there is no rain in March during Easter is it possible

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back