Search 69,459 Camino Questions

17 days walking from Bilbao to Santiago

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Have a friend flying into Bilbao in September.
She has 17 days walking before she flies home from Santiago
She has completed 2 Camino Frances .
Any recommendations on
1 Walk Bilbao to Santander then bus to Oviedo .....time could run out before reaching Santiago
2 Walk Bilbao to Santander , bus to Oviedo and then bus to a town on Primitivo for 9 days walking.
Is this possible?
3 Bus from Bilbao to Irun and do the Norte to Santander ?

I have not done Primitivo so cannot recommend the best or where to join outside Oviedo.
Any assistance appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is a bus to Tineo or to Grandas de Salime depending on the days available for walking. One bus 6 days of the week from Oviedo - ALSA. I think it is Saturday when there is no bus from Oviedo but that was 3 years ago so would need checking.The bus also stops in Pola de Allande where there is private accomodation.
There is no transport between Grandas and Fonsagrada, but there is a service between Fonsagrada and Lugo. Gronze gives various stages and distances which can help with the decision on where to start the Primitivo.

Have a friend flying into Bilbao in September.
She has 17 days walking before she flies home from Santiago
She has completed 2 Camino Frances .
Any recommendations on
1 Walk Bilbao to Santander then bus to Oviedo .....time could run out before reaching Santiago
2 Walk Bilbao to Santander , bus to Oviedo and then bus to a town on Primitivo for 9 days walking.
Is this possible?
3 Bus from Bilbao to Irun and do the Norte to Santander ?

I have not done Primitivo so cannot recommend the best or where to join outside Oviedo.
Any assistance appreciated.

Hi, thornley, there are so many possibilities, but the one that jumped into my mind was -- bus from Bilbao to Leon, then walk the Salvador to Oviedo and continue on the Primitivo into Santiago. But of course your friend may be hooked on the idea of ocean walking, in which case, I would get myself to Irun and start walking, and stop walking when I need to stop to get to Santiago. Too many excellent choices, that's the problem! Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thornley, if she walks Irun- Santander she will be walking a wonderful coastal route and avoid the rush of the last part in to Santiago. If this is her first camino, she will get the good
caminofeeling instead of the hords of people the last days into Santiago.

Another suggestion to add to my other post:- there are more buses from Oviedo to Salas than there are to Tineo. Salas too would be a good place to start the Primitivo. The bus needed is the one to Cangas de Narcea I think. Again the ALSA bus is the one we used in 2010, so times and details need checking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back