• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st Time Sept/Oct 2012 whole 800kms

BandoGMG

Hello my name is Jose Luis (40). I'm PRican living in the Bronx, NY right now. Four months ago I quit smoking out the blue. 6 weeks ago after about 15 years of just drinking soda, mountain dew btw, I changed to water and at times juice. A few weeks ago I heard of a new book called a sense of direction. Also ran across this movie called The Way. 
I'm planning of doing the camino for my 41st bday. I wanted to start Oct 1st, might start earlier. Depends on where i have to fly into. I'm thinking 45 days due to my asthma. I wanna do the whole camino frances and start at St. Jean Pied de Port. 
Would love to hear advice and thoughts of those that have gone before me. Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Forty-five days will give you plenty of time. Be aware that some refuges close toward the end of October.

From New York you probably will find the cheapest fares through Iberia Airline code sharing with British Airways and American Airlines. Fly into Pamplona and return from Santiago. You can start in Pamplona, or take a bus and/or taxi to Roncesvalles (or St. Jean Pied de Port) from Pamplona. It is a bit easier to get from Bayonne/Biarritz to St. Jean, but I think you will find that it is a lot more expensive.

Buen camino!

I am waiting to get my passport before buying air travel.
The cheapest I've seen is into Madrid or Paris.
I am most likely fly in n out of Madrid to catch up with a friend who resides now in Spain.
Thanks for the info about the closing towards end of Oct. Might start earlier then.
My 41st is On the 22 of Oct would be nice to be close to Santiago by then.
Thanks for your advice,

Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also check out air berlin. they have some good deals. Booking a round trip isn't always cheaper than booking 2 1-ways so do your research. skyscanner can be good for that.

Hi, Jose,

I might be on the camino at the same time as you...We arrive September 25, Madrid, leave
September 26th from Pamplona to St. Jean, then the 27th (God willing) we begin the camino.
We have 45 days including travel and adjustment days. I am looking forward to walking in the cooler
weather and reduced crowds. My walking partner and I are in early 50's. Congratulations on your turn towards a healthier lifestyle! :D Hope we run into you, being Yanks ourselves from Washington DC area.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Luis! I'm from Queens and my Camino plans are for going next year in June, Godwilling! You will learn a lot from this forum. congrats on quitting the cigarettes and soda habits. I have been practice walking around the city... Mostly to rockaway beach and in Manhattan. I plan on doing walks in all the boros and long island. Walked from south ozone park to Cedarhurst long island (12 miles) last week. Stupidly I did that in flipflops! What blisters but they were on the sides of mu soles so I could still walk. It was a valuable lesson. Stay in touch! Buen Camino, peregrino!

Ouroboros: cool, I don't have hard dates to when I'm leaving.
I have to get my passport before I go buy airfare.
I've been doing my homework, it's crazy you can fly to Barcelona and Pamplona thru Madrid,
For less than just flying to Madrid direct.
mariposa: congrats on your trip next June.
I'll keep you informed of anything useful I come across.

Hola Jose,
I walked the Camino Sept,Oct, last year. I flew into Madrid and busses it to Pamplona, overnight there and then onto SJPdPby bus the next early afternoon. Plenty of places near the bus station in Pamplona, in all very affordable way to get to your starting point. Great time of year for your walk, I had great weather and much ripe food ton feast on along the way, figs, grapes, pears, apples, and almonds as well.you will love the experience of the Camino and I look forward to when I do it again, be prepared it will get into your body and soul. The fact that you are posting on this forum says a lot about your preparation, if you want more info or pictures of my walk email me.
Vincent

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Vincent
I wish I could leave today. But am preparing to leave earlier than I thought.
Maybe beginning of Sept. A friend in Spain wants me to spend a week in Nov with him.
And I think I would want to be closer to Santiago come Oct 22nd.

I bought my air line tkts today, fly into Madrid sept 10th 8am
Will make my way to SJPdP that morning might start 9/11 or 9/12

Congrats on the plane ticket purchase Jose :) Awesome feeling huh?! I'll be about a week behind you. Buen Camino! Happy feet and happy trails!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Chances are you might catch me and maybe pass me.
I won't be rushing through since I'm allowing myself more than 60 days.
Hope to see you I'll my forum badge.
Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.