A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

20 truths about walking the Camino

Advertisment

trecile

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
Quite a few of those ring true for me, but I really never hated walking. Also, didn't have any bladder issues or steal any TP. Also, I couldn't care less how far anyone else walked, didn't read Brierly, so didn't curse him.
But I'll never forget seeing those red plastic chairs at a bar after walking uphill for what seemed like hours after O'Cebreiro. :D And OMG, what's with closing the windows of a stuffy room??!

Advertisment

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
1998 St Cuthberts Way
1999 West Highland Way
2016 Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago
Thanks for sharing this Peter, certainly brought back a lot of memories. Happy to report that I did not meet anyone as bad as Vlad the Inhaler or have any bladder mishaps. Dare I say Buen Camino!!!

John Sikora

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Frances
(2018) Portuguese/Coastal Sept
(2019) Via de la Plata - Seville to Santiago May
About 60 days until I start walking the Camino Portuguese (Lisbon to Santiago). The short little set of truths does sum up the Camino (mostly but not 13,19, 6, and 7 in my view).

I would add another truth: "Once you walk one Camino, you look forward to more bocadillos, mesetas, vino tinto, cafe con leche, and walking"

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, May-June (2017)
Ingles-Finisterre (2018)
Quite a few of those ring true for me, but I really never hated walking. Also, didn't have any bladder issues or steal any TP. Also, I couldn't care less how far anyone else walked, didn't read Brierly, so didn't curse him.
But I'll never forget seeing those red plastic chairs at a bar after walking uphill for what seemed like hours after O'Cebreiro. :D And OMG, what's with closing the windows of a stuffy room??!
In Mansilla de las Mulas, I witnessed a group of Italian and French cyclist raging on about open or closed window, the Italians won, everyone else lost because the window stayed closed...it was stifling. I was told it was some superstition about evil spirits coming in through the window. If those spirits brought even a breath of fresh air, they would have been welcome.

Ekelund

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
The Camino Frances 2005
The Portugese Camino 2014
The Camino Ingles Easter 2015
The Camino Ingles April 2016
The Camino del Norte/The Primitivo 2016
Thank you for sharing - it made me laugh! Just because I recognize so much. Oh, I do so miss the Camino. Can't wait till the 5th of July.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.4%
  • June