• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2013 walk on Camino de Madrid , nice pictures

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
Me and my frienf Daniel walked Camino de Madrid+ 3 days on Camino Frances to Leon in june 2013.
I love Camino de Madrid and the way it avoids asphalt. We didn´t get lost at any point. The signing are better than last year. If you would like to see nice photos from this years walk go to : http://youtu.be/sCvrT1xFYSU and http://youtu.be/WNCX5nwpND0

All the best, Roger from Sweden

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Roger,
Glad to see you are back on the Camino de Madrid! I enjoyed your pictures very much.

One of your pictures shows a sign for "Refugio de Peregrinos -- Pena Sacra." That's the beautiful little albergue up on the rock outside of Manzanares, right? The last I heard, it was closed to pilgrims. Can you tell me what the situation is now? Since there is a Santiago arrow on the sign I have to think the dispute has been settled and pilgrims are now welcome! That's great, because it is certainly one of the most special albergues on the Camino de Madrid.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie

Great walk for me and my friend this year. We walked for 12 days and met 5 bicycleguys :)
About the albrgue i Manzanares el Real I really don´t know. I just took the pctures when we left and we staid at Hotel Parque Real.
The signing along the route is SO MUCH better. Great job by the people who takes care of the route.
My friend who had never walked in Spain before liked CdM so much more then CF because of how the route goes almost never along car roads and asphalt.For me it was the first time sins 2006 to walk CF and I didn´t like what I saw. All the new bars, albergues, advertising and all the people running the camino. So I think I stay on the minor routes. Have bin thinking about the camino from Barcelona.

Roger

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Roger,
I agree with you about the luxury of off-road walking. It's amazing to me that leaving a huge city like Madrid, it takes about a half hour to get off the asphalt. I just walked from Valencia and it was four days of all on-road walking till we left the asphalt behind!

Would you mind posting your stages? When I walked, I took a very leisurely approach, in many cases just to avoid the albergues in places like Ane, Penaflor de Hornija. I might walk it again and think that a 12 day itinerary would be more sensible.

When I walked from Madrid, I then stayed on the Frances from Sahagun to Ponferrada, and at Ponferrada got onto the Camino de Invierno -- that would definitely fit within the definition of "minor routes" and it is exceptionally beautiful. Have you considered that possibility?

Thanks, and buen camino, Laurie

Our stages:

1 Madrid , Puerta del Sol - Tres Cantos ( hotel)
2, Tres Cantos - Manzanares (hotel)
3. Manzanares- Cercedilla (hotel)
4. Cercedilla-Segovia (hotel)
5. Segovia- Santa Maria Real de Nieva (albergue 6 beds)
6. Santa Maria Real de Nieva- Coca ( albergue lots of space)
7. Coca-Alcazaren (albergue)
8. Alcasazaren- Simancas ( hotel in old parts very nice)
9. Simancas-Penaflor de Hornija (albergue nice bar made nice dinner at night)
10.Penaflor de Hornija- Medina de Rioseco (hotel)
11. Medina de Rioseco- Villalon de Campos ( very nice albergue)
12. Villalon de Campos- Sahagun (albergue) The plan was to stay at Santervas where you have both albergue and food at night but we couldn´t stop ourselfs :)

So thats the way we walked. We also took a restday in Segovia after the walk over the mountain from Cercedilla . Made us happier I can tell you.
All the best , Roger

Thanks for that, Roger. Just a couple more questions, sorry to be a pest.

When I stayed in the albergue in Alcazaren, it was really dirty beyond belief. I recently saw a post that said it was quite nice and clean. What was your experience?

And what about Penaflor de Hornija? I avoided that albergue on the advice of others, who said it was also very poorly maintained. Did you find it to be ok?

I did the same thing as you did when I got to Santervas. The albergue is new and clean, and there's a nice food store, but I just couldn't stop so early and wanted to get to Sahagun! It was a very long day, though.

Thanks again, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi again.

The albergue in Alcazaren was okay. I cleaned it before we left :)
About the albergue in Penaflor de Hornija. The "alcalde" showed us around, nice man, Clean and 3 rooms , one with 2 bunks, and 2 rooms with 2 bunks. Clean and nice. The bar next to the albergue made us a 3 course dinner with vine and coffey , 9 euros each.

Roger

CDM is a great itinerary, which we certainly will do again in the near future. What we really missed were pilgrim-friendly accomodations in the initial bit from Madrid to Segovia
The albergue in Alcazaren is brand new with water solar heating,one single big room with about 12 beds
Giorgio

I have learned that the refugio connected with the church up on top of the Pena Sacra outside Manzanares el Real is closed to pilgrims. (so someone ought to take down that sign you photographed, Roger!). Does this mean that the only option is that expensive hotel right next to the castle? Or are there pensiones or some cheaper alternative?

I'm not sure the fight over the Pena Sacra is over, because the renovations and construction of the refugio were paid for by the government, which suggests that the church shouldn't be able to keep the facility closed to the public and limited to religious purposes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks!
I've just made our schedule (we have to schedule because we are meeting people in Pamplona on the 19th).
Can anyone who has walked route this take a look and see if it looks ok?

May 2 - arrive Madrid - stay 1 night
May 3 - Metro to Fuencarral and walk to Colmenar Viego - Hotel Chiscon €60
May 4 - Walk to Manzanares - Hostal Pardor €40
May 5 - Walk to Cercedilla - Aribel Longrinos €30
May 6 - Walk to Segovia - stay 2 nights and see Alcazar
May 8 - Walk to Santag Maria el Real - albergue
May 9 - Walk to Coca - albergue
May 10 - Walk to Alcazaren - albergue
May 11 - Walk to Puente Duero - albergue
May 12 - Valladolid - where to stay?
May 13 - Bus to Simances and walk to Cigunuela - albergue?
May 14 - Walk to Castromonte - albergue
May 15 - Walk to Medina - nuns
May 16 - Walk to Villalon - albergue
May 17 - Walk to Santervas de Campos - albergue
May 18 - Walk to Sahagun - albergue?
May 19 - Train to Pamplona

Approximate cost of this trip is €700 if albergues are €10 or less.
That is running about €200 less than the section I wanted to walk on the VDLP and I don't have those two long bus rides, so for this year, I'm happy if this works out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Keep us posted @Anniesantiago , please. I'll start from Madrid on 20th June and all updates on markings, desvios and such will be much appreciated. I'll try to stay in albergues as much as possible (also because continuing on CF, Invierno & Muxia/Fisterra), but info on hotels etc. are welcome too. I know they'll be too expensive for single pilgrim, but nevertheless... :)

Ultreia!

Keep us posted @Anniesantiago , please. I'll start from Madrid on 20th June and all updates on markings, desvios and such will be much appreciated. I'll try to stay in albergues as much as possible (also because continuing on CF, Invierno & Muxia/Fisterra), but info on hotels etc. are welcome too. I know they'll be too expensive for single pilgrim, but nevertheless... :)

Ultreia!

Kinky, you might want to follow my blog at www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com - I won't be able to post on the forum much until I finish up in June, but I will post on blogspot via my iPhone as often as possible.

By the way, Laurie, and those who have walked... what's to see in Vallodolid?
Unfortunately, I'd be there on a Monday so maybe I should just walk on by?

Kinky, you might want to follow my blog at www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com - I won't be able to post on the forum much until I finish up in June, but I will post on blogspot via my iPhone as often as possible.

I will Annie, thanks. I also followed your blog last year while you've been on VdlP :)
Have a nice Camino!

€60,-
Thanks!
I've just made our schedule (we have to schedule because we are meeting people in Pamplona on the 19th).
Can anyone who has walked route this take a look and see if it looks ok?

May 2 - arrive Madrid - stay 1 night
May 3 - Metro to Fuencarral and walk to Colmenar Viego - Hotel Chiscon €60
May 4 - Walk to Manzanares - Hostal Pardor €40
May 5 - Walk to Cercedilla - Aribel Longrinos €30
May 6 - Walk to Segovia - stay 2 nights and see Alcazar
May 8 - Walk to Santag Maria el Real - albergue
May 9 - Walk to Coca - albergue
May 10 - Walk to Alcazaren - albergue
May 11 - Walk to Puente Duero - albergue
May 12 - Valladolid - where to stay?
May 13 - Bus to Simances and walk to Cigunuela - albergue?
May 14 - Walk to Castromonte - albergue
May 15 - Walk to Medina - nuns
May 16 - Walk to Villalon - albergue
May 17 - Walk to Santervas de Campos - albergue
May 18 - Walk to Sahagun - albergue?
May 19 - Train to Pamplona

Approximate cost of this trip is €700 if albergues are €10 or less.
That is running about €200 less than the section I wanted to walk on the VDLP and I don't have those two long bus rides, so for this year, I'm happy if this works out.

Hi, Annie, Is there a reason why you want to stay in Aribel Longrinos over the albergue? Here is where I stayed in Cercedilla. http://www.reaj.com/es/component/k2/311-albergue-juvenil-villa-castora.html

It's an albergue juvenil, but they have rooms (or at least they had in 2011) off to the side with two beds, private bath, just for pilgrims. I was there with two huge school groups and slept like a baby that night. Sheets are crisp and clean, all is nice. Meals are served, but they aren't great and I wouldn't recommend them. Bring food up from town and have a breakfast for the next morning. The albergue is about 1 km beyond the hostal Aribel, up on the way out of town. It's really already in the park area. They have an email address, so I'll write and make sure they are still taking pilgrims, but I can't imagine things have changed. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Annie, Is there a reason why you want to stay in Aribel Longrinos over the albergue? Here is where I stayed in Cercedilla. http://www.reaj.com/es/component/k2/311-albergue-juvenil-villa-castora.html

It's an albergue juvenil, but they have rooms (or at least they had in 2011) off to the side with two beds, private bath, just for pilgrims. I was there with two huge school groups and slept like a baby that night. Sheets are crisp and clean, all is nice. Meals are served, but they aren't great and I wouldn't recommend them. Bring food up from town and have a breakfast for the next morning. The albergue is about 1 km beyond the hostal Aribel, up on the way out of town. It's really already in the park area. They have an email address, so I'll write and make sure they are still taking pilgrims, but I can't imagine things have changed. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I didn't know there was an albergue there. Do you remember what they charged? I'll check the link too.

Hi, Annie, here's what i did, which is not to say it's what you should do, of course. I walked from Puente Duero to Simancas, then hopped on a bus into Valladolid (short distance, but all on city streets). I was there by 10 or 11, checked into a hotel right next to the Iglesia de Santiago and spent a wonderful day there. It was during the 15 de mayo/Occupy time, so the Plaza Mayor was filled with people, protesting, talking, etc. The museum of sculpture is inside an amazing Renaissance plateresque church/monastery (or maybe the museum is next door to the church). The museum itself is very interesting, I enjoyed it a lot. There are several other interesting churches, one in particular I remember was gothic/romanesque. I had a great vegetarian meal in a restaurant and just basically enjoyed the opportunity to see the city. It's a very nice city, not as spectacular as some other Spanish cities its size, but very nice. I spent the night there, and the next morning. After lunch, I took the bus back to Simancas and walked on Cigunuela, where there is a very nice albergue. The downstairs is used as a community center, the upstairs is an albergue. Liked it a lot.

Valladolid, btw, isn't on the Camino, it's a detour off, but a short bus ride. Laurie

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Annie,
One more piece of info, I stayed in the Hotel Roma in Valladolid. Very close to the Plaza Mayor. When I arrived I just started to walk around towards the Plaza Mayor, came to the church of Santiago, saw the Hotel Roma about two feet away, and decided it must be the right hotel for a peregrina. http://www.hotelromavalladolid.com/

And there's a website with lots of info on the Museo de Escultura. http://museoescultura.mcu.es/informacion.html

If that sculpture museum were something you wanted to see, if you are spending Monday night in Valladolid and then just going on to Ciguñuela the next day, you could easily see the museum on Tuesday morning, take the bus to Simancas and walk the 6 kms from Simancas to Ciguñuela. If that seems too ridiculous, you could also go on from Simancas, to walk 20 km to Peñaflor de Hornija. I haven´t stayed there, but Roger did and said it was nice. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-de-madrid-in-september.20158/

Lots of options, as is usually the case on the camino! Laurie

Thanks Laurie,
I just received this from the albergue in Cercedilla.
Not sure I want to take a chance:

Good afternoon
We do not make reservations to pilgrims upon arrival will inform you if we have places or not. Remember that you must submit the credential upon arrival.
Enclosed booklet center where you can check rates and other information on the center.

Sincerely,

Reception Area
Youth Hostel Villa Castora
Crta of the Meadows, 29
8470 Cercedilla
Phone: 91 852 March 34
Fax: 91 852 November 24

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Annie,
Thanks Laurie,
I just received this from the albergue in Cercedilla.
Not sure I want to take a chance:

Is your arrival during the week? If so, I think it´s unlikely to be full. But one thing would be to call a few days before to check. They will know by then what their groups look like. I have also stayed in the Aribel Longrinos, it has some Civil War story attached to it whose details I forget. It´s fine, a little faded. Down around the corner across the street from the train station there is a good little restaurant up on the second story. There´s a lot of "upscale" stuff in Cercedilla given its status as a Madrid get-away, but this one is pretty basic, good home cooking. I´ll see if I can find the name if you are interested. Laurie

Hi, Annie,

Is your arrival during the week? If so, I think it´s unlikely to be full. But one thing would be to call a few days before to check. They will know by then what their groups look like. I have also stayed in the Aribel Longrinos, it has some Civil War story attached to it whose details I forget. It´s fine, a little faded. Down around the corner across the street from the train station there is a good little restaurant up on the second story. There´s a lot of "upscale" stuff in Cercedilla given its status as a Madrid get-away, but this one is pretty basic, good home cooking. I´ll see if I can find the name if you are interested. Laurie

Hey Laurie, I just found the lodging costs for the Youth Hostel and the Hotel is the same price. I think I'd rather have a private room, however dingy, if it's the same price.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Joe is coming over today and we are making our final plans.

On this page is a Guide and a List of Albergues for the Camino Madrid. It is in Spanish, but worth having:
http://caminosantiago.asociaciones....08f1e0861ccfca293fa8f0aa0afa0a2dfff5354b4f3ac

Another guide here:
http://www.turismocastillayleon.com...?idContent=541352&locale=es_ES&textOnly=false

Thanks for those two, Annie! Much appreciated. It's great to do some cross-checking between different guides.

B.

Last edited:
You are welcome.

I just saw on my notes that the albergue at Alcazaren is "closed."
Is this true?
Does anyone know?
Or did I make a mistake?

Also, here is a guide you can print out, if you care to:

http://caminosantiago.asociaciones.segovia.es/files/23-360-document/097-117 Mapas reducido.pdf?go=3d7fa7fcaa728fb89988794edb7c0e10040877a3eae3b2f6a8c797d63e2c99079d5b0707da1a8dcc5262786d7fad2c80ceb02a00689f61f9

And let´s not forget the CSJ online guide to the Camino de Madrid. It´s pretty up to date.http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

I´ll see what I can find out about Alcazaren. Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back