• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Chrissy on the Camino de Madrid

I remember the same from when I was there in June. We stocked up with food before heading out to Santervás because we read there was bithing there: no restaurant, bar or shop. But when we got there the hospitaleros shared their comida and cena with us and laid out a nice breakfast.

As well, the albergue shares the building with the Ponce de Leon Museum which we visited.
The hospitalero in Villalón advised us to stock up and he offered and very nicely drove our groceries to Santervas for us.
We cooked a big lunch for both him and the Santervas hospitalero as well and then the 3 other pilgrims from Mexico we hadn’t seen in days unexpectedly showed up just as dinner was ready. 9 of us around that table and yet there was still enough food and wine for everyone.(like loaves and fishes maybe??)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After two full weeks of dry weather, minus one hour of a spit of rain to tease, this morning we left the albergue in Tamariz with ominous clouds and an hour later wind and rain became our enemies for the next 3+ hours.

Before we left, Ivan, who has managed the tiny albergue and the bar across the street for four years, made us a yummy breakfast of scrambled eggs, onion, meat and tomato slices from his garden. He told us we were his last pilgrims as he has trained a new couple to take over the responsibilities of serving this small community of 65 people and the pilgrims who pass through. Ivan speaks some English and is a kind soul and we enjoyed chatting with him. I saw a cute mural across from the bar of two dogs. The story is that a pilgrim came through with no money, but offered to do a mural instead of paying for a bed as he was an artist. Ivan's dog is one in the mural, so I took a picture of him and his dog...so cute!

We arrived in Villalon de Campos a bit chilled and bedraggled. It was nice to have a hotel room to hand wash a bit of laundry and our dirty shoes that swam in puddles today, and dry out our rain gear. We didn't want to wait until 8:30pm to eat so a trip to the grocery store provided enough food for tonight and will last for tomorrow.
View attachment 158792View attachment 158793View attachment 158794
View attachment 158798View attachment 158799
The Muni Albergue in Villalon is one of the nicest I have ever stayed in. Very large with living room tv, large kitchen, nice showers and if I recall a washing machine.

The Muni Albergue in Villalon is one of the nicest I have ever stayed in. Very large with living room tv, large kitchen, nice showers and if I recall a washing machine.
We booked hotels ahead of time wherever possible and the Hotel Rural in Villalon was great. It had a space heater in our large bathroom and we were able to wash all our wet rain gear, shoes, socks, etc and they dried by morning and were toasty warm...no regrets.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We booked hotels ahead of time wherever possible and the Hotel Rural in Villalon was great. It had a space heater in our large bathroom and we were able to wash all our wet rain gear, shoes, socks, etc and they dried by morning and were toasty warm...no regrets.
The manager cooked us a nice menu del dia at the Hotel Rural and was very friendly. My room did have the oddest shower, though. It looked like it was a quadruple massage jet shower but none of the massage jets worked anymore, and you had to do crazy things to keep the shower from spraying the whole bathroom. I think they call that a 1st world problem!

FYI, almost no data connection last night in Santervas, so could not send my daily update, but will have internet tonight in Sahagun.
I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts on Santervas. It was one of my favorite albergues I’ve ever stayed in, but I may be biased as I was having a great time with good company. The Ponce de Leon museum and city tour was interesting but the curator (she) was curt with the Spaniards and downright rude to me.IMG_6806.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Day 13
My memories of yesterday are mostly of high winds and trying to avoid the mud on our shoes from rain the day before, but there are still always attractive landscapes to see, and interesting old villages with their own charm of days gone past. I have been fascinated by the unique adobe structures still standing, and enjoy taking pictures of them.

We ended our day at the albergue in Santervas. A lovely place and we were the only ones there so we were given a cozy room with only 4 beds and a balcony.
We took a tour of the Ponce de Leon museum and it ended with a private tour of the church. We really enjoyed it! (Derek, the museum curator was very nice to us, and patiently waited as we took quite a bit of time looking around and reading the English side of the plaques. She then offered to open the church for us; not sure if everyone gets to see it or not. Possibly a different person than you had.)
Afterward, we made our own dinner of pasta with garlic, basil pesto, olive oil and good bread.
Screenshot_20231021-212515~2.png
Screenshot_20231021-212546~2.png

Adobe charm...
Screenshot_20231021-212604~2.pngScreenshot_20231021-212613~2.pngScreenshot_20231021-212650~2.pngScreenshot_20231021-212655~2.png

Our room at the albergue and tour.
Screenshot_20231021-212907~2.pngScreenshot_20231021-213324~2.png
Screenshot_20231021-212826~2.png

Last edited:
Day 14
Our last day walking to Sahagun.
It was a cold day in the morning when we left the albergue at 8:00am; I think about 40°F and ended in the 50's with part sunshine and no wind. I stayed warm as I layered and wore nearly all the clothes I brought except my hiking skirt; including two t-shirts, long sleeve top, down puffy, two pair leggings, gloves, hat and scarf.
The walk had a variety of landscape, including our first vineyard on this route.
We had the lunch we'd packed of bread, tuna and olives, chips, and some chocolate about half-way to the cute apartment we'd rented in Sahagun.
For some reason I'd totally forgotten about the certificate of completion I'd wanted to get and by the time I thought about it, neither the church nor the tourist office were open.
We had a nice dinner later and I ordered grilled chiperones.
Tomorrow we take a train to Avila for two nights, then on to Madrid for two additional nights before flying home, so I will end here.
Thank you to those who have followed my little journey, and I enjoyed all the comments and parallels to your own time spent on the Camino de Madrid.
IMG_20231021_082646562.jpgIMG_20231021_132001063.jpg

More adobe clay/bricks in a small village...
IMG_20231021_100535541.jpgIMG_20231021_100639771.jpgIMG_20231021_100759253.jpgIMG_20231021_101320772.jpgIMG_20231021_101841006.jpgIMG_20231021_101510663.jpgIMG_20231021_124211564.jpg

Finally near entering Sahagun.
IMG_20231021_135458800.jpg

Day 14
It was a cold day in the morning when we left the albergue at 8:00am; I think about 40°F and ended in the 50's with part sunshine and no wind. I stayed warm as I layered and wore nearly all the clothes I brought except my hiking skirt; including two t-shirts, long sleeve top, down puffy, two pair leggings, gloves, hat and scarf...
Well, @ least your pack 🎒 would've been light! 🤭
Tomorrow we take a train to Avila for two nights, then on to Madrid for two additional nights before flying home, so I will end here.
Thank you to those who have followed my little journey, and I enjoyed all the comments and parallels to your own time spent on the Camino de Madrid.
Greetings from 🏝Bali🌞 @Camino Chrissy! Sorry I haven't added to the comments or responded to your emails (you know the reason... 😘😳) but rest assured I have been following (& really enjoying 🥰) your write ups & pics on a daily basis.
Back to my normal solo travel from tomorrow so will start catching up from then.
Savour your last few days & safe travels. Please promise you will abide by Rule #1;
NO 🫡 RUNNING 🏃‍♀️ TO TRAINS 🚉 !
In fact, 'no running' full stop!...you hear me young lady? 🤭
Take care 👱‍♀️ xox
Sanur beach.jpg frangipani.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Kaz, I hope you have had a great vacay to Bali⛱️, and now time doing extra things🪂 🏄 you want before going🧳home🏡.
Thank you for reminding me of rule #1...got it! 👍
Yes, I did seem to notice my pack felt lighter wearing all my clothes👚🧥👖🧤🧢👟 layered on, along with carrying less water.💧
Safe travels back to Tasmania.🤗

Day 14
It was a cold day in the morning when we left the albergue at 8:00am; I think about 40°F and ended in the 50's with part sunshine and no wind. I stayed warm as I layered and wore nearly all the clothes I brought except my hiking skirt; including two t-shirts, long sleeve top, down puffy, two pair leggings, gloves, hat and scarf.
The walk had a variety of landscape, including our first vineyard on this route.
We had the lunch we'd packed of bread, tuna and olives, chips, and some chocolate about half-way to the cute apartment we'd rented in Sahagun.
For some reason I'd totally forgotten about the certificate of completion I'd wanted to get and by the time I thought about it, neither the church nor the tourist office were open.
We had a nice dinner later and I ordered grilled chiperones.
View attachment 158958View attachment 158959

More adobe clay/bricks in a small village...
View attachment 158964View attachment 158965View attachment 158966View attachment 158967View attachment 158968View attachment 158969View attachment 158970

Finally near entering Sahagun.
View attachment 158972
Wishing you trouble free endings, and a safe trip home. Thanks for all your reports!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done Chrissy for completing another camino! I've really enjoyed your updates and photos. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe journey home.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back