• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2024 Olympics and Walking in France

Time of past OR future Camino
September-October 2021
This conversation is for those who have given thought to walking the Camino in 2024 beginning somewhere in France or going through France on your personal Camino. The 2024 Olympics will be held in France from 26 July to 11 August with lodging and athletic events spread throughout France. This event will bring many-many!- athletics, reporters, and spectators. And they will begin arriving several weeks before 26 July.
Why is this important you might ask? No matter what part of France your Camino takes you, there is a possibility you will have difficulty finding a place to stay at a reasonable price or just find a place to put your head!
You might consider walking your Camino sometime before July or after 11 August. My plan was to begin in the Netherlands and walk to St. Jean. Now I must reconsider my route or time of year.
Whatever I do, I will enjoy my Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been thinking about this too. My plans are for May to mid June and I'm expecting my flights to be more expensive as well as any transit accommodation in Paris. Looks like it will be via Madrid this time.

Wishing you a great camino, whatever you decide!

Thank you for the heads up. I read headlines that France was holding the Olympics next year, but didn’t pay close attention to the details!!
My head has been in the clouds reading, listening to podcasts, and dreaming of my return trip to walk Le Puy to SJPD in 2024.
I will definitely schedule my walk around the dates of the 2024 Olympics!!!
Thanks again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Jmmmpr I had a vague idea about the 2024 Olympics in France too, but it was just recently that I put 2 and 2 together and realised that 2024 is actually next year, and not just "France" but more specifically Paris! 2024 sounds so far away. 😂

This conversation is for those who have given thought to walking the Camino in 2024 beginning somewhere in France or going through France on your personal Camino. The 2024 Olympics will be held in France from 26 July to 11 August with lodging and athletic events spread throughout France. This event will bring many-many!- athletics, reporters, and spectators. And they will begin arriving several weeks before 26 July.
Why is this important you might ask? No matter what part of France your Camino takes you, there is a possibility you will have difficulty finding a place to stay at a reasonable price or just find a place to put your head!
You might consider walking your Camino sometime before July or after 11 August. My plan was to begin in the Netherlands and walk to St. Jean. Now I must reconsider my route or time of year.
Thank you.

Probably worth adding that the Paralympics is also on in Paris Aug 28 to 8 Sept. It’s a big deal and will attract a huge number of people so Paris will be pretty busy next summer albeit it’s always busy in summer with hotel occupancy levels and airline seats factors >90%. Olympic traffic build up willl start about 2 weeks before the start of competition and it’s likely flight availability into France especially as a lower cost connecting gateway will be very limited!

Also the European Football Championships will also be held across 10 Cities in Germany in 2024 from 14 June to 14 July. Probably just as big as the Olympics so connecting flights in and out of Germany will rammed during that so period with less availability especially around some of the key
Match days. So if Spain are playing in Munich for example you won’t be finding a bargain fare Madrid to Munich!

I have thought about this too. I will transiting through Paris enroute to SJPDP in late April, and although the Olympics won't have started, I'm guessing athletes and coaches may be arriving early to get acclimatised. Hopefully, hopefully it will be pretty much business as usual travelling at that time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have thought about this too. I will transiting through Paris enroute to SJPDP in late April, and although the Olympics won't have started, I'm guessing athletes and coaches may be arriving early to get acclimatised. Hopefully, hopefully it will be pretty much business as usual travelling at that time.
I think you should be fine. Things will start to ramp up from roundabout then but it will be gradual I would guess. Obviously flight availability in and around the game times will be limited and expensive!!

Worth noting that events take place all over France, not just Paris, though most of the ‘hero’ events take place in Paris.

Good to be made aware of these factors. I am planning to walk from Figeac with my wife Ann. Not being a fan of summer crowds and temps (especially at night), I usually choose late September into October. We are going to follow the Le Celé route, which I am really looking forward to.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, you also have the French Open Tennis at the end of May and beginning of June. And the Tour de France Bike race - but I am not sure of the date. All 3 in the summer of 2024.

Hi, you also have the French Open Tennis at the end of May and beginning of June. And the Tour de France Bike race - but I am not sure of the date. All 3 in the summer of 2024.
Indeed… but probably worth striking a balance . the French Open tennis happens every year, and whilst it is a huge event that attracts many domestic and international travellers, Paris is well able to absorb this in a ‘business as usual’ fashion. It’s busy all the time. There are similarly big football and rugby fixtures all the time here. TDF is a little different as I think the route varies and can touch ‘Camino land’. I think it may have gone thru Bilbao this year.

The Olympics is unique though and will draw folks in their millions, over a two month period. USA folks… think a months worth of superbowls in Atlanta or Dallas! The cheaper (not cheap) accommodation will not be cheaper and the high end hotac will be nailed down by sponsors, corporates, broadcasters, and Paris will shift into a different gear. You won’t see too many cheap flight into Paris, especially those connecting as opposed to ‘point 2 point’. In fact ‘point 2 point’ be will be pricey too. But there is a huge amount of airline capacity into Paris so there will always be something.

So avoid, or maybe plan a Camino and Olympics combined trip.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back