• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 21 Apr 15 -- Slug Super Highway -- Lightening

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
21 April 2015 - Triacastela to Morgade -- Best I can tell, 29 Kms

Was a wonderful morning, with a bit of a chill, leaving Triacastela today -- not too many pilgrims on the march --- very quiet and peaceful -- took the route to Sarria vs the alternate route towards Samos -- did not want to add 7 or so extra kms -- yep -- lazy today -- Lots of uphills on this route -- it was pretty much interval training all day -- uphill, heart beating hard -- flatten out a bit, heart rate to normal -- uphill, flat and so on -- until it was time to go downhill -- Big Sad Face -- but slow and steady, Z stepping worked out pretty good.

Saw the strangest thing this morning - it was a Slug Super Highway -- not sure I have ever seen so many slugs on the move -- I mean they were slowly sliming their way along the trail -- at a slug's pace (wonder how many will turn into Slug Jerky when the Sun gets going?) -- I am sure this is also a salt free zone -- Ha -- (not that I have any personal experience with slugs and salt) -- I wonder if you can eat slugs? Oh-well, it was pretty interesting.

In Sarria, ran into Norm from Idaho -- recently retired, 65 years old, and moving out like a pack mule. We have been bumping into each other almost daily now. Really nice guy -- we had a beer and then I moved out, Norm was going to stay in Sarria.

So after a nice stop in Sarria -- pushed on -- wanted to cover another 10 kms before stopping for the day -- so moving along and enjoying the pace when out of no where -- thunderstorm -- it looked like this puppy was all around me -- could see the rain slashing down in the distance -- and then the Lightening -- yep -- I am thinking to myself -- only 100 kms from Santiago and I am going to get zapped by Lightening (wow -- that would be one heck of a spiritual message).

So decided to stop at the next whatever place -- prior to this moment in time, you could not swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a place to stay -- now -- yep - nada - so threw on the rain jacket and started moving out -- staying low (wondering if earbuds are a bad thing in a Lightening Strom?) -- finally found a place and stopped even though they had no internet -- if you get hit by lightening, lack of internet is kind of a mute point.

Nice Old Cow Guy -- so prior to the storm moving in -- I was going through a village and see the cows being released from their little field and being moved via main road to another field -- old guy with smart, big dog (Some Type of German Shepard -- lots of them around here) leading the way - was going to video the Cows (action movie), but instead gave the old guy a very nice good day in Spanish -- he immediately walks towards me, his friendly guard dog watching closely -- and I am thinking -- humm -- this will be interesting -- So Nice Old Guy (with few working teeth) starts rattling off Spanish -- all I can understand is Santiago -- so I say Si -- and he is so happy -- next thing I know he reaches into his pockets and pulls out two walnuts and gives them to me -- so I am thinking (1) eat the walnuts for energy to get to Santiago or (2) carry the walnuts to Santiago as an offering -- Old Guy still talking and I am just nodding my head in agreement -- finally I say thank you in Spanish and the Old guy beams and shakes my hand that is holding the walnuts -- Well Santiago -- Here I come bearing gifts --- hope you like walnuts because that is what I am bringing.

Crazy Pilgrim encounter during Storm -- as I am trying to move out and find a place to shelter -- I see coming the opposite direction a Pilgrim -- Old Guy -- he raises his hands at me -- I stop -- He points to the storm -- I say Si -- he then mutters -- The Camino -- and I say Si -- we both move on -- me heading towards Santiago -- the Old Guy Pilgrim, the opposite direction towards the storm -- I am thinking a slight electrical jolt might actually be good for this fellow.

Had a Wonderful dinner with four Germans a Swed and a Tia Lady -- Cannot make this stuff up : )

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
21 April 2015 - Triacastela to Morgade -- Best I can tell, 29 Kms

Was a wonderful morning, with a bit of a chill, leaving Triacastela today -- not too many pilgrims on the march --- very quiet and peaceful -- took the route to Sarria vs the alternate route towards Samos -- did not want to add 7 or so extra kms -- yep -- lazy today -- Lots of uphills on this route -- it was pretty much interval training all day -- uphill, heart beating hard -- flatten out a bit, heart rate to normal -- uphill, flat and so on -- until it was time to go downhill -- Big Sad Face -- but slow and steady, Z stepping worked out pretty good.

Saw the strangest thing this morning - it was a Slug Super Highway -- not sure I have ever seen so many slugs on the move -- I mean they were slowly sliming their way along the trail -- at a slug's pace (wonder how many will turn into Slug Jerky when the Sun gets going?) -- I am sure this is also a salt free zone -- Ha -- (not that I have any personal experience with slugs and salt) -- I wonder if you can eat slugs? Oh-well, it was pretty interesting.

In Sarria, ran into Norm from Idaho -- recently retired, 65 years old, and moving out like a pack mule. We have been bumping into each other almost daily now. Really nice guy -- we had a beer and then I moved out, Norm was going to stay in Sarria.

So after a nice stop in Sarria -- pushed on -- wanted to cover another 10 kms before stopping for the day -- so moving along and enjoying the pace when out of no where -- thunderstorm -- it looked like this puppy was all around me -- could see the rain slashing down in the distance -- and then the Lightening -- yep -- I am thinking to myself -- only 100 kms from Santiago and I am going to get zapped by Lightening (wow -- that would be one heck of a spiritual message).

So decided to stop at the next whatever place -- prior to this moment in time, you could not swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a place to stay -- now -- yep - nada - so threw on the rain jacket and started moving out -- staying low (wondering if earbuds are a bad thing in a Lightening Strom?) -- finally found a place and stopped even though they had no internet -- if you get hit by lightening, lack of internet is kind of a mute point.

Nice Old Cow Guy -- so prior to the storm moving in -- I was going through a village and see the cows being released from their little field and being moved via main road to another field -- old guy with smart, big dog (Some Type of German Shepard -- lots of them around here) leading the way - was going to video the Cows (action movie), but instead gave the old guy a very nice good day in Spanish -- he immediately walks towards me, his friendly guard dog watching closely -- and I am thinking -- humm -- this will be interesting -- So Nice Old Guy (with few working teeth) starts rattling off Spanish -- all I can understand is Santiago -- so I say Si -- and he is so happy -- next thing I know he reaches into his pockets and pulls out two walnuts and gives them to me -- so I am thinking (1) eat the walnuts for energy to get to Santiago or (2) carry the walnuts to Santiago as an offering -- Old Guy still talking and I am just nodding my head in agreement -- finally I say thank you in Spanish and the Old guy beams and shakes my hand that is holding the walnuts -- Well Santiago -- Here I come bearing gifts --- hope you like walnuts because that is what I am bringing.

Crazy Pilgrim encounter during Storm -- as I am trying to move out and find a place to shelter -- I see coming the opposite direction a Pilgrim -- Old Guy -- he raises his hands at me -- I stop -- He points to the storm -- I say Si -- he then mutters -- The Camino -- and I say Si -- we both move on -- me heading towards Santiago -- the Old Guy Pilgrim, the opposite direction towards the storm -- I am thinking a slight electrical jolt might actually be good for this fellow.

Had a Wonderful dinner with four Germans a Swed and a Tia Lady -- Cannot make this stuff up : )

Buen Camino
wow what a wonderful journey! I love to read your writing. Thank you!:) Buen Camino.

Hi, Grogan,
Really enjoying your posts. Since Morgade was today's destination, I think you must be at one of my favorite camino places of the last 100 kms. I first stayed in Morgade in 2002, I think it was. At that time, there was an albergue room and a bar, nothing like what's there today. The four of us who had landed there spent a lot of time over dinner talking with the (then) youngish woman who had moved from Bilbao to live here after her marriage to a guy whose family owned a lot of the land around Morgade. It was beautiful and peaceful. Last summer, I stopped for an agua con gas there and asked the guy serving me if my memory (woman from Bilbao, married local, etc) was correct, and he pulled his mother in law out of the kitchen. We shared a few moments reminiscing about how things had changed. What impressed me the most was that though the numbers had changed, their ethic had not -- good quality, good price, roll with the punches. Highly recommended! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back