• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

21 days to walk: What's more important, mileage or leisure time?

What is more important, covering more total kilometres or having leisure time at each destination?

• Covering total kilometres

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Having leisure time at each destination

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Ejackso2

Hello everyone,
My best friend and I are in moderate shape and have 21 days to walk the Camino for the first time ever! We are trying to choose a starting point and are debating between what's more important to the 'pilgrim' experience: covering the most miles vs. having more leisure time to absorb the local culture? We are approaching this as a spiritual journey and are hoping to have time for prayer, Mass, staying at convents, etc. We would appreciate your opinion on the following options:

#1 Start in Burgos, end in Santiago in 21 days- walk between 20-30 km a day. Pros: We cover the most distance between us and Santiago. Cons: No days for rest, easy to fall behind.

Route #2: Start in Sahagun and continue to Finisterre. Pros: More leisurely pace, get to Finisterre. Cons: Only 16 days to reach Santiago.

Thoughts? Other route suggestions? Thank you so much!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Plan to have a few rest days. Your body will thank you for it. A good idea is to spend extra days in the cities like Pamplona, Logrono and Leon. They are lovely places with lots to see. Or go for smaller places to chill or places where you can take a day trip off the main route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And some of us who do triathlons might say that, like the Camino, finishing is the most important goal. :D

You can always take the bus to Fisterra. Actually, I prefer Muxia, but that's a matter of opinion, I guess.
The 3 days out of Sahagun are rather monotonous. With the non obligation of "walking every step of the way" I would prefer to start in Burgos, walk as far as Sahagun, where you can take the train to Leon, thereby cutting off 3 days walk and then continue walking. In my opinion, the first part of the Meseta is not to be missed! Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some people approach the camino as if it were a race: to be completed faster than anyone else.

Others approach the camino as if it were a mountain: a challenge to be overcome through skill and strength of will.

Some people are on a walkabout; a walk with no purpose. Some need the goal of walking to Santiago in order to make that walk.

Is it a contest of athletics or is it an experience of culture? Is it spiritual enlightenment or a religous duty?

I'd guess there are probably as many reasons for walking the camino as there are people walking on it.

Its up to you to decide. You've given yourself the gift of time. You must have had some reason for wanting to walk the Camino. What strategy will best fulfill your aim?

The only practical advice is that I felt sorry for those passing friendships that ended because someone had to hurry on to catch a plane on schedule.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No brainer. Leisure time waaaaaay more important than mileage. The Camino ain't a contest.
If one wants a contest, do triathlons. :D
So agree with this answer.....I cannot understand why so many people just 'race along, get to the next place, rush in to get a bed, do their washing, have a quick meal, get into bed early, then up early again the next day to do the same thing over again......WHY even walk the Camino???

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So agree with this answer.....I cannot understand why so many people just 'race along, get to the next place, rush in to get a bed, do their washing, have a quick meal, get into bed early, then up early again the next day to do the same thing over again......WHY even walk the Camino???

Agreed.

The ideal situation is when walking itself becomes leisure time.

I think your description is nearly quite good; walk, find a bed, shower, laundry, put laundry to dry, cure yourself if needed, meal, small siesta, then visit the town or be lazy with people around the albergue.

Dinner at your own leisure, then reasonably early to bed. I see nothing wrong with that way of organizing my days!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Start from San Jean Pie de Port. The first part of the Camino Di Santiago is something special for the people that you will meet , energies, landscape... You don't need to reach Santiago, you need to live your experience with yourself, even if 21 day could be enough to arrive to Santiago. Take your time, it's not a race...
The last part of the Camino is very busy of people and there is another atmosphere. I'm going to walk for the 9th times The Way in Spain..., so... Decide by yourself . Buen Camino. Ultreia

I'd start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, and just get as far as you get! You can always come back another year and pick up where you left off.

During our walk, we took a rest day in Burgos and Leon - both much-needed. We also had 4 or 5 short days of 10 or 15 km, either due to physical problems or because we wanted to visit a place. We found that 20-24 km per day was our "happy place" in terms of mood and energy.

I walked with friends in 2012 and there was a competitiveness between us as to who arrived first at the days destination, just fun, but competitive all the same.

When I walk this year I will take the time to look behind me, take in my surroundings and appreciate the history of this fantastic part of the world.

Looking back, I never wished I had walked faster, but I did wish I had taken more time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I race, I wear a number. I feel sorry for people who actually get some ego boost "racing" people who didn't think it was a competition.

Anyway, there is a lot to see out there, on and around the trail. I'm not sure leisure time is the right word, but don't miss stuff just because you want to cover more trail. If this is your type of trip, you'll be back for more than 21 days.

I read somewhere regarding the Camino that it isn't the arriving that should be the goal but living each and everyday you are walking. This Camino is too long prepared for and costs to much to make it all about just reaching the destination.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are several recent threads dealing with the issue of a 21-day time limit, such as «21 days on the Camino: Need wisdom!» and «The Best Bits to Miss!» where I posted a suggestion with a «trick».
However, I meanwhile gave more thoughts to the subject and came to the same conclusion as Stellere, susanawee and others here.
Yes there are ways to «technically manage» the Camino in just 21 days. but you would be denying yourself the essence and deeper sense of this pilgrimage. Of course you can skip and rush, it's your Camino, do what you want. Chances are that you regret what you missed and that you'll be back.
The most precious moments of my Camino were those completely detached of time, the freedom of just stopping anywhere; to call it a day, to enjoy sitting with a bunch of peregrinos and drink a glass of wine. Consider: It's not the distance you cover but the quality of your walk that counts.
With a time limit, I would not try to skip but rather extend my Camino to the max; start in Le Puy or Arles and spread my Way to SdC over several years. (SdC has been around and will be there, whenever you arrive.)
Buen Camino.

There are several recent threads dealing with the issue of a 21-day time limit, such as «21 days on the Camino: Need wisdom!» and «The Best Bits to Miss!» where I posted a suggestion with a «trick».
However, I meanwhile gave more thoughts to the subject and came to the same conclusion as Stellere, susanawee and others here.
Yes there are ways to «technically manage» the Camino in just 21 days. but you would be denying yourself the essence and deeper sense of this pilgrimage. Of course you can skip and rush, it's your Camino, do what you want. Chances are that you regret what you missed and that you'll be back.
The most precious moments of my Camino were those completely detached of time, the freedom of just stopping anywhere; to call it a day, to enjoy sitting with a bunch of peregrinos and drink a glass of wine. Consider: It's not the distance you cover but the quality of your walk that counts.
With a time limit, I would not try to skip but rather extend my Camino to the max; start in Le Puy or Arles and spread my Way to SdC over several years. (SdC has been around and will be there, whenever you arrive.)
Buen Camino.
Agree Pano....

Hello everyone,
My best friend and I are in moderate shape and have 21 days to walk the Camino for the first time ever! We are trying to choose a starting point and are debating between what's more important to the 'pilgrim' experience: covering the most miles vs. having more leisure time to absorb the local culture? We are approaching this as a spiritual journey and are hoping to have time for prayer, Mass, staying at convents, etc. We would appreciate your opinion on the following options:

#1 Start in Burgos, end in Santiago in 21 days- walk between 20-30 km a day. Pros: We cover the most distance between us and Santiago. Cons: No days for rest, easy to fall behind.

Route #2: Start in Sahagun and continue to Finisterre. Pros: More leisurely pace, get to Finisterre. Cons: Only 16 days to reach Santiago.

Thoughts? Other route suggestions? Thank you so much!!!

My thoughts?...........................................................................I would never miss Burgos and the beauty of the trail and countryside as you leave there. Some of the most iconic stretches of the Camino can be seen from there, along with the classic approach to Hornillos that is so often captured in pictures. And then there is David and his little gypsy camp as you climb up the hill overlooking Astorga. He sells teas, cakes, and what have you. I have some pictures in the media section under Camino Frances that show some of what you will see. Burgos alone is worth a trip to Spain, Camino or on Camino. To me, it is the most beautiful city along the route, and when I say that, I mean the old town surrounding the cathedral. For me, I am glad I went on to Finisterre, but once my love and I had reached Santiago, I had pretty much tired of walking. The celebration for me was to reach that destination and participate in the noon pilgrims mass. After that, the wind was gone from my sails. The rest of the way proved to be drudgery, and the weather was misty and cold. Summer might be different.

If you are in good shape, and have already tested your pack and shoes for comfort, you can easily rise and be out the door by 6:30 or so and make your way to an albergue 20 or 30 kilometers away by a little after noon. The rest of the day is yours to enjoy. That is what I loved. Walking 6 hours, then some food and beer and conversation with others in the afternoon. Only if you are not used to walking and staying on your feet for 6 hours or more will the route be hard, leaving you no desire to explore once you get to where you are going. My love and partner is much better a trekker than I, and she could move with 14 kilos on her slim frame 30 kilometers a day, and then have the energy to walk about town after we got to an albergue. I don't recommend that pace and weight, but it can be done by those that are in moderate shape.

I would recommend starting at Burgos. Since it will be summer, take a water bladder to drink while on the move. Rise early and out the door by no later than 7, and yes, I said 7am, though others will be leaving as early as 430. Don't let that fool you! Those are the people that you will be passing along the way or that are camped out at coffee shops along the route. Enjoy your sleep and then move out. Walk your distance until you have had enough, take a side tour if you like, then get back on track and make your way to your albergue. It is a good thing to have John Brierly's book with you to read ahead so you know what is coming up, including the history, the steepness of the hills, and the distance between towns. I found his book invaluable and accurate enough by way of the maps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back