• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sellos... More important than certificates

debigetsout

Donating Member
Time of past OR future Camino
all
Sharing the poster we made from our pilgrim passports for our second CF in 2013. The sellos are sadly fading. The important thing is that we have had them hanging on the wall for the past decade as a visible reminder of our wonderful journeys. Our CF completion certificates, on the other hand, have never been taken out of the tubes that they were rolled into in SdeC.

Attachments

• IMG_9850.JPG
    IMG_9850.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 6,313
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yah, credentials are the best. But I like my compostellas too...

Sometimes younger peregrinos get so into them that they get a stamp everywhere, and then they pick up a new credential and tape them together. It's rather impressive when they pull them out.

For me, I just want a fully filled credential on one side.

Sharing the poster we made from our pilgrim passports for our second CF in 2013. The sellos are sadly fading. The important thing is that we have had them hanging on the wall for the past decade as a visible reminder of our wonderful journeys. Our CF completion certificates, on the other hand, have never been taken out of the tubes that they were rolled into in SdeC.
Looks great. You could possibly re-frame them with special glass that will stop the sellos fading.

The credentials I got from Ivar and the ones I got from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims both only take sellos on one side. It did make it easier to frame our 2016 credentials (which are now showing the fading effects - future credentials will be scanned prior to framing and may be put behind special glass, if I frame them).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sometimes younger peregrinos get so into them that they get a stamp everywhere, and then they pick up a new credential and tape them together. It's rather impressive when they pull them out.
As do older pilgrims. Only on my first couple of Caminos did I just get the minimum. Ever since I have collected sellos as mementos of the walk. Some take a little thought, such as the first two of the day leaving Irache. The first was at a panaderia, the second from the office at Irache. The latter required a short wait until the office opened, but it was worth it to get both stamps together in my credencial.

Some older pilgrims perhaps. Some others amongst us no longer have much interest in collecting either sellos or the Compostela. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in January last year and arrived having used only one side of the credencial issued by the SJPDP pilgrim office.
Indeed. I collect sellos to complement the story of my pilgrimage, and the Compostela to record that I have completed the journey. My motivations here might not be unique, but I never expect them to be universal. That would be to engage in some seriously wishful thinking about the nature of pilgrims and pilgrimage. I would rather enjoy learning about the many different motivations of the fellow travellers I meet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Have to agree that the credentials with the stamps are a wonderful work of art and a story that unfolds along the pages. I'd love to put mine on in the wall, but the problem is mine goes on to both sides. Did you photocopy the other side for yours?
Indeed. I collect sellos to complement the story of my pilgrimage, and the Compostela to record that I have completed the journey. My motivations here might not be unique, but I never expect them to be universal. That would be to engage in some seriously wishful thinking about the nature of pilgrims and pilgrimage. I would rather enjoy learning about the many different motivations of the fellow travellers I meet.
I, too, go bananas over the sellos. This past year I began with seven SJPP credentials and filled them all. I actually had to cut back on the last few days because I didn’t want to end the Camino using a “mismatched” credential. I think the SJPP credential is by far the BEST ONE. It is heavier and more durable than any available in Spain and it has far more spaces. I wish all the credentials were the same size and of similar material. It would be fine to change the language or the wording, but a matching set would be nice in MY opinion.

I learned that if you use UV glass, the sellos will not fade as quickly.

Have to agree that the credentials with the stamps are a wonderful work of art and a story that unfolds along the pages. I'd love to put mine on in the wall, but the problem is mine goes on to both sides. Did you photocopy the other side for yours?
I had my credential photocopied on both sides and then framed. The advantage of this is that I could still keep the original. I also had my certificates framed and have hung them next to the credential.
I did post a photo on here some years ago.

I have my two credentials framed but my problem is that not all of them are very clear, dry stamp pad nor were they all dated. So maybe that will be my extra piece of carry on luggage a fully inked stamp pad. Cheers

I love the sellos - don't care at all about a certificate. But I envy some of those hand-painted and ornate sellos! On 3 caminos mine are mostly just stamps, but I love unfolding the credentials to remember the places.

I scanned mine into jpg format, included a few related things and made this poster. Unfortunately, I don’t remember which website I used to put it all together.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0235.png
    IMG_0235.png
    13.3 MB · Views: 56
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
IMG_3065.jpeg
I had this framed all together after the Primitivo.

I have my two credentials framed but my problem is that not all of them are very clear, dry stamp pad nor were they all dated. So maybe that will be my extra piece of carry on luggage a fully inked stamp pad. Cheers
What a great idea! I remember being refused a stamp because I didn’t want to buy croissant #8 and “la tinta cuesta” (ink costs money). It would have been great to have been able to whip out my own ink pad.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yah, credentials are the best. But I like my compostellas too...

This lady I met last year had 3 credentials almost full of stamps on the Frances. She just loved them and would always show them to me when I would see her along the trail.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back