Search 69,459 Camino Questions

23 year old starting Camino late May

Anto

Aug 24, 2017
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017 SJPDP to Pamplona
Hi All,

Second time to post this .Not sure where the first one ended up.
My 23 year old son starts the Camino in SJPDP in late May .He is going solo .My question is what will the age profile be like at that time of year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Jan 9, 2012
West Sussex, England
19 to 99

Actually it will probably lean towards an older demographic. Many of the younger generations will be in school or university. The middlies will have children in school or university. It'll be the boomers partying like its 1969. But we are quite friendly unless roused. ;)

Anto

Aug 24, 2017
Ok .He is doing the full CF and wont be in a hurry so maybe the colleges will be finished for Summer in late May/ Early June .Have a second son in college and he finishes around 24th May.
Just didnt know if the age demographic changes on Camino when the college's close for Summer recess

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

stratophile

Jul 11, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I can't give any hard stats on the demographics but my own anecdotal experience is that he'll see plenty of all age groups. I agree with Tincatinker that it will skew slightly older (especially compared to what you would see on other long-distance trails), but universities are mostly out by late May (my daughter is already done for the year...) and lots of 20-somethings do the Camino.

He won't be solo for long unless he wants to be alone. :)

Dorpie

RIP 2019
Apr 9, 2015
Chester UK
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015, July 2017, October 2019
@Tincatinker is probably right, from my experience the Camino skews younger in July/August than in May/June but there will still be more than enough people in that range. While I haven't checked the stats I feel it's far more the middle that's under-represented in Camino demographics, obviously the more responsible of my peers are busy having jobs and families and stuff.

Anto

Aug 24, 2017
Ok
should be ok then . He's happy with his own company anyway but was curious .
I have done sections of camino myself (SJPDP to Pamplona last year and Sarria to Santiago 2016) so have some experience of it but was late September when colleges would have been open. Even at that time of year I tought age profile was younger between Sarria and Santiago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
D

Deleted member 3000

May arrivals last year had 14% under 30.
June arrivals last year had 22% under 30.
July arrivals last year had 40% under 30.
August arrivals last year had 37% under 30.

Adjust the arrivals back to a departure up to a month earlier and it is clear that the crowd gets younger as the summer progresses!

Mito

Jan 23, 2018
CF (2011, 2013, 2018) Roncesvalles-Astorga
CLeP (2013) Le Puy-?
GUD (2019) Dovre-Trondheim
He'll be fine. There will be more than enough youngsters. I'm in my 60s and made friends from all age groups. I just got back from walking in March and there were far more younger folks this time than I expected.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides