• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

4 weeks on the Camino Frances: where to begin?

MaxHelado

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués via Variante Espiritual 2022
After excellent advice from the forum on where to walk next, I have decided it will be the Camino Frances.
I will walk for 4 weeks (ish) in September so, where do I begin?
My initial thoughts........

1. I am nearing 70 and this will be my second Camino. I am not a strong walker (but improving) and one purpose of walking is to improve my level of fitness. I will plan on 15k to 20k a day (less if big ups and downs!). Be fabulous if I could walk further later in the journey.
2. I have no desire to begin in SJPP. Beginning with a yomp over the Pyrenees holds no attraction for me.
3. Walking beyond Sarria does not sound very attractive from what I have read about the number of walkers joining there. Also see point 4.
4. I do not have to finish in SdC. Be lovely to do that but only if the last 100k is something special.
5. I am travelling from the UK so easy access to airports/trains at start and finish points would be a bonus!

I am currently thinking of Pamplona as a start point as I love that city and I think the walk to Logroño would be particularly beautiful. The rest of the CF is unknown to me.

So, if you were me........where would you start and where would you stop?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could also consider starting in Logroño and walk to Sarria. That would give you both the Meseta between Burgos and León and the quite beautiful (though more mountainous) section after Astorga. It would also leave you room to plan shorter daily walks.

Buen Camino.

I think starting from Pamplona is a good idea. I really like the way from there. Depending on how things go, you can get to Leon (~402km), Ponferrada (~520km) or even Sarria (~620km). All of them should have options to arrange your return back home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I flew from the UK to Bilbao, stayed overnight then took a bus to Logroño. It was very straightforward and I had no pressure to get a connection. I arrived in Logroño at midday and walked to Navarette for my first night. I had booked the albergue but it would have been better if I'd sent them a confirmation message. I arrived about 3.30 which is getting late in Camino terms!

If you say you like (nay LOVE!) Pamplona then why start anywhere else? Start there!
As some distances were mentioned - IMHO Ponferrada makes sense. you got 4 weeks so that would average about 18.5km\day which is slightly less than your upper limit but well within the envelope.
Add couple of extra km some day and you might even be able to squeeze a rest day (or 2)
And you can always jump on the bus or train to propel yourself further so to speak
Good Luck & Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, you have no interest in the Pyrenees or the Sarria to Santiago section, so I would recommend starting in either Roncesvalles or Pamplona and seeing how far you go. Even at 70, I am guessing you will likely make it to Sarria - and you can catch a bus to get to the Santiago airport. But if you can't make it that far - there are other bigger towns before Sarria where you can also catch a bus to Santiago or another airport city.

Just a note - going into (or out of?) Zubiri is very rocky - which might be a reason to start in Pamplona. Also - easier to get to Pamplona than Roncesvalles - not that I found it hard to get to Roncesvalles.

If you aren't sure of your comfortable walking distances - I wouldn't plan my accommodation distances in advance if you can avoid it - so you have the flexibility to stop when you feel you need to stop. Walk longer days later if you feel you can.

I think starting from Pamplona is a good idea. I really like the way from there. Depending on how things go, you can get to Leon (~402km), Ponferrada (~520km) or even Sarria (~620km). All of them should have options to arrange your return back home.
Yeah this option! I really love the day out of Pamplona you climb up alto del perdon. Also some really pretty villages and bodegas irache before Logroño don't miss it!
I wouldn't skip any just start in Pamplona and see how far you get. I really love the meseta too and it's the bit ppl often skip so tends to be calmer.
I personally take a bus:
From villafria on the outskirts of Burgos into the centre
From central Leon to la virgen on the outskirts of leon
That's just to miss the 2 really built up sections
To make up those few kilometres you can -
Walk the green route after sahagun
Walk the green route after la virgen via Villar de mazarife and through the little villages to astorga

Also I took the boat home to the UK from Santander last time and I really loved this way to travel x

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yeah this option! I really love the day out of Pamplona you climb up alto del perdon. Also some really pretty villages and bodegas irache before Logroño don't miss it!
I wouldn't skip any just start in Pamplona and see how far you get. I really love the meseta too and it's the bit ppl often skip so tends to be calmer.
I personally take a bus:
From villafria on the outskirts of Burgos into the centre
From central Leon to la virgen on the outskirts of leon
That's just to miss the 2 really built up sections
To make up those few kilometres you can -
Walk the green route after sahagun
Walk the green route after la virgen via Villar de mazarife and through the little villages to astorga

Also I took the boat home to the UK from Santander last time and I really loved this way to travel x
So you walked OUT of Burgos but not into
And you walked INTO Leon but not out of
Do I have that right?

Boat from Santander is a long time travelling. It's 32 to 36 hours.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, you have no interest in the Pyrenees or the Sarria to Santiago section, so I would recommend starting in either Roncesvalles or Pamplona and seeing how far you go. Even at 70, I am guessing you will likely make it to Sarria - and you can catch a bus to get to the Santiago airport. But if you can't make it that far - there are other bigger towns before Sarria where you can also catch a bus to Santiago or another airport city.

Just a note - going into (or out of?) Zubiri is very rocky - which might be a reason to start in Pamplona. Also - easier to get to Pamplona than Roncesvalles - not that I found it hard to get to Roncesvalles.

If you aren't sure of your comfortable walking distances - I wouldn't plan my accommodation distances in advance if you can avoid it - so you have the flexibility to stop when you feel you need to stop. Walk longer days later if you feel you can.
Good advice, thank you.
I have no interest in the Pyrenees because it sounds like a hard way to start.
Sarria to Santiago I would avoid because of the crowds but if someone tells me I would be crazy to miss that stretch, other than for the triumphant entrance in to SdC, I would do it.

If you say you like (nay LOVE!) Pamplona then why start anywhere else? Start there!
As some distances were mentioned - IMHO Ponferrada makes sense. you got 4 weeks so that would average about 18.5km\day which is slightly less than your upper limit but well within the envelope.
Add couple of extra km some day and you might even be able to squeeze a rest day (or 2)
And you can always jump on the bus or train to propel yourself further so to speak
Good Luck & Buen Camino
Thank you. Good advice.
I hadn't thought about bus or train but why not if it is what my body needs?
Tell me, why Ponferrada? This distance sounds about right but is that why? Or is it (also) a particularly lovely place to be?

I flew from the UK to Bilbao, stayed overnight then took a bus to Logroño. It was very straightforward and I had no pressure to get a connection. I arrived in Logroño at midday and walked to Navarette for my first night. I had booked the albergue but it would have been better if I'd sent them a confirmation message. I arrived about 3.30 which is getting late in Camino terms!
Thank you. that's helpful to know. I was thinking of flying into Madrid and then the train out but the Bilbao route looks faster.......and cheaper!
I'll take a look at flights and prices.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So you walked OUT of Burgos but not into
And you walked INTO Leon but not out of
Do I have that right?

Boat from Santander is a long time travelling. It's 32 to 36 hours.
We've sailed Portsmouth to Santander and also back a few times. I remember it being around 24 hours. Agree re bus into Burgos and out to Virgen del Camino from outskirts León

Thank you. Good advice.
I hadn't thought about bus or train but why not if it is what my body needs?
Tell me, why Ponferrada? This distance sounds about right but is that why? Or is it (also) a particularly lovely place to be?
Well yes - the distance seems right to begin with
then there is all the historic stuff starting with Pont Ferrata (the Iron Bridge), Castillo de los Templarios (although there is plenty of talk that is a 'fake' - i.e. completely reconstructed), Basilica de la Encina and couple more churches and Museums. A little bit outside - there is (or 'are') Las Medulas
and then there is food and Bierzo Vino :)
Finally when its time for you to get out - there is the transpiration service available with all the options. ALSA bus, RENFE train and airports of Leon, SdC, A Coruna and even Madrid - all attainable via other 2
So there you have it P-O-N-F-E-R-R-A-D-A! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We've sailed Portsmouth to Santander and also back a few times. I remember it being around 24 hours. Agree re bus into Burgos and out to Virgen del Camino from outskirts León
Brittany Ferries introduced new ships 2 years ago. They are more eco-friendly but much slower.

Well yes - the distance seems right to begin with
then there is all the historic stuff starting with Pont Ferrata (the Iron Bridge), Castillo de los Templarios (although there is plenty of talk that is a 'fake' - i.e. completely reconstructed), Basilica de la Encina and couple more churches and Museums. A little bit outside - there is (or 'are') Las Medulas
and then there is food and Bierzo Vino :)
Finally when its time for you to get out - there is the transpiration service available with all the options. ALSA bus, RENFE train and airports of Leon, SdC, A Coruna and even Madrid - all attainable via other 2
So there you have it P-O-N-F-E-R-R-A-D-A! :)
Sounds like a great place to finish. Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back