• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A 12 year old's journey on the Camino

Redberg

Hello.

I walked Camino de Santiago (from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela) back in June 2004. I was then 12 (about to turn 13 later that year) years old and completed the pilgrimage in 28 days with my brother who was 11 years older. I have no intention of bragging about that, I am just very curious about who is the youngest person that have ever completed the pilgrimage. I saw a couple of younger children during my time there that walked at least half way.

I would like to hear from other people that did this journey as children and find out if their experiences affected them as much as this pilgrimage did to me.

A longer story will follow in posts below.

PS. Forgive my English, It's not my first language :wink:

Thank you very much!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Re: Information on the youngest pilgrim that completed SDC?

Hi Redberg,

That is just awesome.
Please tell us more
Lydia

Hi Redberg,

Congratulations that is quite a feat.

I'm sorry I'm not able to answer your question re: youngest to complete the Camino but it would be interesting to hear a bit more about your camino at 12 years old, if you were inclined to share your experience. I have a 10 year old son who would like to walk the Camino in the next few years, although not necessarily the Camino Frances, and it would be interesting to read about your memories of the walk.

Regards
Mig

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I'd love to share some memories! I'll see if I'm able to scan in some photos as well! :)

The reason for me doing this was because my brother had attempted the route a couple of years earlier and failed due to an injury, and as he wanted to try it again he suggested that I would come along. Without me or my parents really knowing what it ment to do Camino de Santiago I decided to accept his offer.

In preparation for the the trip I walked a couple of 10 KM-walks to practise - but that was nothing compared to what was in store for me when we arrived at the Pyrenees for the first days walk. I was carrying around 13 KG of luggage in my backpack and my brother had around 25 Kgs. Most of the weight were CD-records - which in hindsight was really stupid to bring along.
It took around 4 hours before the walk became really though and it became so bad that my brother had to carry my backpack for the worst parts of the climb. When we finally reached the summit I broke down in tears without being able to walk a single step - but as they often say; it was all in my head. I managed with great help from my brother to get to my feet and continue that rest of that day without further problems.

A picture of my brother carrying both our backpacks:
http://i.imgur.com/CISA0.jpg

Me just before i broke down in tears after reaching the summit:
http://i.imgur.com/Emwnvh.jpg

The rewarding feeling when we reached Roncesvalles - that I will never forget. I've never appreciated sleep as much as I did that night. And when we woke up the next day I was determined to finish the entire Camino - no matter what it took.

The first day was one of the ones I remember most clearly, but I will dig around my photographs and try to recall some more stories which are of value for reading. And I will also write a bit of what the Camino did for my life and my view on life - and of course about how your mindset changes during the Camino, making the walk much more easy. And some of my favourite sights and places will also be mentioned!

- To be continued -

Redberg said:
To be continued -
Looking forward to the next episode.....

Redberg said:
I was carrying around 13 KG of luggage in my backpack and my brother had around 25 KGs. Most of the weight were CD-records - which in heinseight was really stupid to bring along.
Shame that you had left the CD Walkman charging in the hostal at St. Jean :lol:

That's a huge % of your brothers weight to be carrying on his back.........looking forward to more :)
David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: A 12 yo journey on Camino de Santiago

Excellent topic!

I recall an article in the South African confraternity magazine (Amigos) about a young man of similiar age...but can't find the article now.
Maybe Sil or one the other SA members will remember the details.

Well done!
I brought each of my three sons on the Camino when they were 12 years of age. We cycled the route. They each did it after finishing primary school.
My youngest son has also cycled the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome at 16 years of age.
The three of them have great memories and I think it did a lot for their independence and confidence.

Redberg,

A great start for a solid story line. Please give your thoughts additional time to percolate and then add to the thread. Many an inspiring book has started with the initial collection of memories. Once you have the foundation stories...add the legs that connect.

Keep the Forum in the loop. You may want to ask this question:

"Does anyone remember walking the CF in 2004 and meeting with my brother and I as we walked the Way?"

You may be surprised what fellow pilgrims recall. Can add to the story and inspire us all.

Saludos,

Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Tobyturnips said:
Well done!
I brought each of my three sons on the Camino when they were 12 years of age. We cycled the route. They each did it after finishing primary school.
My youngest son has also cycled the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome at 16 years of age.
The three of them have great memories and I think it did a lot for their independence and confidence.

That is truly remarkable! I truly agree with that statement with the impact that the journey had on me regarding just independence and confidence! I would love to hear more about this! :)

Just last year I read Paulo Coelhos book "The Pilgrimage" which made me think about the spiritual meaning that the camino has, even though you might not realise it right away. We did not have the same reasons at all for setting of on this pilgramage but I find that much of the same feelings have surfaced for me. It made me realise that the CF is so much more than a physical challange or an adventurous trip. The biggest challange lies on overcoming your fears and doubts. Had I attempted the CF for the first time today, I don't think I would have made it. As a child I was unaware of what actually awaited me along the way - I had nothing else to go on but my brother's guidance. In the mind of a child almost nothing seems impossible. I had no fears, and I had no doubts - in my mind there was no other alternative than completing the camino. Not because I am a very stubborn person, but because that's why me and my brother was there, and I never questioned it.

One of the most intriguing things about the journey was all the people we met. As a 12 year old Swedish boy with very bad English I didn't do very much talking. In fact I spent most of the nights in the company of fellow pilgrims just listening. Without being able to communicate (except for my brother translating) this was all I could do. Thinking back about this fact today reminds me that this had a huge impact on my life and personality. I am a person that generally listens more to others than I speak myself. I enjoy listening and learning from others. and I think that my experience on the camino thought me very much of the values of listening.

When we first reached Pamplona I remember wanting to get out of there as soon as possible. After the quiet days on the countryside I really hated being in a city filled with stressed people. I really appreciated walking on the solitary countyside with only my brother as company - and of course the occasional pilgrim that we met on the way. I specificly remember a couple of solitary pilgrims who were VERY eager to talk when they walked with us and stayed at our side as long as possible. Something that showed me how the human being needs interaction with others!

My next entry will contain more memories and storys of what happened during the walk, to be continued!

Ps. I updated my first entry with some pictures - more will follow.DS

Ps 2. If any moderator find some grammtic errors (which my texts are full of) they are free to edit them if the text is incomprehensive DS.

This is great! Thank you for sharing this with us! As someone who works with children/young adults on a daily basis, I find your story quite intriguing and worthy of sharing.

I walked the Camino Frances in '05. During this time, I met a 10 year old boy from Iceland walking with his uncle and his grandmother (mother of the uncle). He had an incredible amount of energy and had to be entertained the entire time so the walk/time would pass easier. I met them about half way. I have no reason to believe they didn't finish. I moved on at a faster pace, but they all seemed quite strong and determined.

I also walked the Camino Norte in '10. On this route, I came across a family on bicycles for a few days. The kids (3) were probably around the ages of 10-13. I'm sure they were Spanish only doing a portion of the camino for holiday.

No matter. I'm looking forward to more of your memories shared.

Thank you!

Simeon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

In August of 2011 I became acquainted with a man and his two sons who were walking from Roncesvalles to Logrono. I spoke no Italian and they spoke very little English, but for several days we would pass each other on the Way and sometimes stay in the same albergues. It became inspirational for me to see them on the road together. A highlight of my trip came in Viana when the youngest boy, Simone, asked if I would have my picture taken with them. I believe the oldest boy had his 10th birthday on their last day in Logrono.

pal said:
In August of 2011 I became acquainted with a man and his two sons who were walking from Roncesvalles to Logrono. I spoke no Italian and they spoke very little English, but for several days we would pass each other on the Way and sometimes stay in the same albergues. It became inspirational for me to see them on the road together. A highlight of my trip came in Viana when the youngest boy, Simone, asked if I would have my picture taken with them. I believe the oldest boy had his 10th birthday on their last day in Logrono.

That is truly impressive! I hope some of these young pilgrims you all told us about find their way to this thread and can share their experiences!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We had a German family come through with three boys in Santo Domingo de la Calzada this summer. I think they were probably 8,10, 12 years old....with boundless energy I might add!

We also had a group of French kids with their catechism class and they were all 11 or 12 years old.

When I walked there was an American family with a 10 year old walking and a Canadian family with a 7 and 9 year old walking....it's not that uncommon. I might be off on the ages, too. I don't remember exact ages. They were kids though! I didn't see any kids walking alone though....

Truly an example of innocence abroad. We can learn a lot from the impressions of this wonderfully articulate youngster. More, please.

lynnejohn said:
Truly an example of innocence abroad. We can learn a lot from the impressions of this wonderfully articulate youngster. More, please.

Absolutely more please!! And your English is quite frankly excellent!! Truly looking forward to more of the story as well as more pictures!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am very glad that you find the story interesting. I am sorry for the lack of updates but other things have come in the way.

I will post another part towmorrow!

Thank you so much!

renegadepilgrim said:
We had a German family come through with three boys in Santo Domingo de la Calzada this summer. I think they were probably 8,10, 12 years old....with boundless energy I might add!

We also had a group of French kids with their catechism class and they were all 11 or 12 years old.

When I walked there was an American family with a 10 year old walking and a Canadian family with a 7 and 9 year old walking....it's not that uncommon. I might be off on the ages, too. I don't remember exact ages. They were kids though! I didn't see any kids walking alone though....

Truly remarkable at those ages! I wonder how much of the camino they walked!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The youngest person is approximately 6 months old. His name is Indigo Armstrong. He started his journey on 1-1-13 so he is currently on it. He is traveling with his parents Matthew and Victoria.
They are uploading a video to YouTube each day. The channel is "beyourpotential" and the videos are called " walking the camino de Santiago" day 1, day2 etc.
they are making the videos as travel advice for people interested in making the journey. They never intended for Indigo to be the youngest to make the journey. It's just each hotel/hostel owner say they have never seen somebody so young make the trip.

Hope this is of interest

Paddy Armstrong ( indigos uncle )

Paddy7007 said:
The youngest person is approximately 6 months old. His name is Indigo Armstrong. He started his journey on 1-1-13 so he is currently on it. He is traveling with his parents Matthew and Victoria.
They are uploading a video to YouTube each day. The channel is "beyourpotential" and the videos are called " walking the camino de Santiago" day 1, day2 etc.
they are making the videos as travel advice for people interested in making the journey. They never intended for Indigo to be the youngest to make the journey. It's just each hotel/hostel owner say they have never seen somebody so young make the trip.

Hope this is of interest

Watched a few of these youtube videos, fantastic, hope they have a safe and wonderful trip.
Pat. :arrow:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi there,

My two daughters, ages 7 (soon-to-be-8) and 10, will make the trek from SJPP to Santiago this March and April. We're hiking to raise money for two female-empowering organizations, Global Fund for Women and GirlVentures. I've no doubt the girls will do the whole thing on their own two feet, as we hike mountains on a weekly basis here in NH (USA). They've been hiking mountains since they were 4 and 5 years old.

Though I don't hear of many 8-year-old pilgrims, I highly doubt my daughter will even come close to breaking any records for youngest Camino pilgrim. During the last thousand years, I am sure young kids have made the trek -- probably from farther back than SJPP. In the "good old days" (35+ years ago), kids walked a lot farther and more frequently than they do now, so I'm guessing the youngest person to walk on his or her own feet could have been as young as 4. We'll ever know for sure, since this route is over a thousand years old and I doubt records have been kept with 100% accuracy throughout the entire time.

I am glad you had a positive and profound experience. I hope my two children will react similarly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Paddy7007 said:

Hope this is of interest

Watched the first three videos - they are making me even more anxious about our March walk with 10 - 13 year olds from SJPdeP to Pamplona. Victoria is a saint!

Paddy7007 said:
They are uploading a video to YouTube each day.

Did they finish the walk? I watched up to Day 7 (to Ayegi) but can't find any after that?

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back