• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A camino interview from Macleans magazine

peregrina2000

Staff member
I've never walked with a group of friends, there are usually just two or three of us, and this article suggests that's probably a better way to go. Has anyone had a good experience with a large group of friends?

Attachments

• macleans.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 195
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Peregrina, for posting. A fascinating account of group dynamics! I find that, the more people involved, the more complicated it becomes to make even seemingly simple decisions. Splinter groups and factions as described in the article usually result.
Small is beautiful!

Life doesn't happen to me ............ it happens FOR me.

Nothing happens "outside" of my mind.

If my "relationships" are annoying, frustrating and upseting to me, it pays to look at my reactions rather than "pointing the finger" at those who seem to be causing problems TO me.

I draw 'circumstances' to me according to my mind-set and what better way than on a pilgrimage.

lillypond.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It does not seem to me that there was a group of friends. It was just a bunch of women that gathered to do the Camino and some of them did not really know what all was about; perhaps if they had chosen to go to a pic-nic in Coney Island the results would be the same. So, the problem was not the Camino. It may have been their motivations, their goals, their expectations, etc.. Their reasons might not even be religious - and that would not have been a problem - but they should at least know them. You don't leave your life for almost 40 days just to walk aimlessly around in a foreign country . This is silly...

I think a random group of middle-aged men wouldn't have lasted as long

No matter how long a journey - if my travel companions are confusion and turmoil (my mindset) it won't be long before I come undone :mrgreen: Let's face it we are never going to meet the 'perfect' fellow pilgrim !!

lillypond.

I am very disappointed when I read articles like this. I feel people are not treating the Camino with the respect it deserves. I really think it should be a solo or with one other person event, that way although you might have company in the refergio you can do your own thing during the day. It would seem too much of a distraction for my liking, and too disruptive to other prilgrims people travelling in "packs". The more I investigate the Camino I am getting disheartened by the negative stories I am beginning to hear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Yeah, walking in large groups is not advisable. You take on all the problems of anyone else. Walking alone or with one companion is the best. (Three is a crowd; it causes irritation; just try it out). I heard someone in a large group - taking a break - say: Is this a short or a long stop?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum