A new life challenge and I'm super scared!

Moody79

Apr 13, 2013
hello Everyone
I live in Madrid and have dreamt of doing the Camino for 10 years of my life in Espana now but never got round to it and partly never really had the guts to do it. However this is the year I guess! I want to do it in August, still not sure of the dates as it depends on work, but I'd like to do it in the first week. August is the only time I get hols so I have to..despite the fact that people are telling me it's the worst period to go in as it's packed and hot. I want to do 150km from Cebreiro to Santiago on a 8 day trail. I don't want to push it as I'm not sure of my limitations and doing 20/ 30 km a day for someone like me would be a life achievement!! I'm scared. excited and feel not organised enough! I have the route I want to do and that's about it, getting mixed reviews from people around me saying go with the flow very much my way but feel I need to be prepared for??! Also the fear of failure is massive, feel like I'll go 2 days and not be able to go on anymore, or get lonely or abducted in a forest!! (yes sounds ridiculous I know! Fear always is), hate the albergues etc. But it's absolutely fundemental I do it this year, it's a personal goal, your advice or experiences would really help. Thank you all!

Hooria

A selection of Camino Jewellery

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2011
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Hi! Good luck with your prep. There are lots of Eucalyptus woods in Galicia, where you could get abducted, but in August there would be such a crowd of pilgrims poking their walking poles at the attacker within seconds that there's nothing much to worry about there! :D :D :D

Buen Camino!

Macsierra

Apr 8, 2013
Santiago-MuxĂ­a (2013)
Moody, I didn't do any preparation for my first Camino and now I'm on my fourth. If you live in Madrid we can have a drink and I can give you advice.

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Deva (Gijón) - Lourenzá (Lugo) [2011]
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)
Santiago - Fisterra - MuxĂ­a - Fisterra (2013)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Moody79

Apr 13, 2013
Thank you guys! I need to hear positive things! just yesterday someone told me I shouldn´t do it alone because if I get injured I´d be stuck out there and get depressed and be stranded!! De verdad! con la positividad de los españoles eh??!! Anyway I WANT to do it and I´m GOING to do it! infact I walked 11 km in 2 hours the other day much to my shock!! and have started the training!! My only doubt at the moment is how early would I need to get to a place to get a bed in the public albergues? I reckon if I begin at 7, I should be at my destination by 12...I´m doing about 21km a day
any advice?? and yes of course "Macsierra it would be great to meet up so you can give me the good and of course the bad!!

Thank you

Macsierra

Apr 8, 2013
Santiago-MuxĂ­a (2013)
Even if you go alone you'll always run into someone. No matter if you want it or not :) so no problem to have someone to rescue you!

I bet the person who told you to not go alone has never gone alone himself. This is going to be my fourth Camino (leaving April 26th) and always went alone. Never had a problem, not even a vessel?.

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)

Macsierra

Apr 8, 2013
Santiago-MuxĂ­a (2013)
I just reread your first post. Camino Francés in augost? You'll run into a million people!!

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
IrĂşn - Santander (2012)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides