• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A pilgrim needs a friend

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
I am in Lugo's Hospital Lucus Agusti until Friday the 21st or Saturday the 22nd with pnuemonia and would love to chat to someone. I am not infectious.

I am a Kiwi in my 60's

I don't know when visiting hours are or even what Ward I am in but if you ask for that crazy Peregrino called Douglas Hunt who continued walking for 8 days with pnuemonia they will know who you are talking about and send you up to see me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, Douglas: did you buy new socks or not? Pneumonia? How in the dickens did you get that? Point is, you have it, I am so sorry, but I cannot come visit you except this way: keep connecting, you will get responses, You poor devil. i do hope you did buy socks., Wet feet, not good news. I will keep an eye out for the rest of this evening. I will be kind of out of action over the weekend but will check in on you.

[QUOTE="kirkie, post: 756252, Douglas: did you buy new socks or not?
[/QUOTE]
No, I was too attached to the old ones that cost so much and I had some spares. I have now detached from the old ones. They can float of on a new life plan.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So, Douglas: Pneumonia? How in the dickens did you get that?
According to the medics, the version I have is contracted via bad water or bad air-conditioning but not person to person. So somewhere I must have had some bad water as I don't see much air-conditioning on the Camino!

I did have some bad water in Lorca but the medics say it must have been within 10 days of acquiring the symptoms and Lorca is too far back for that. They have a small team going back through my credentials checking each Albergue I have visited to see if they can find the source.

My only concern is that because the medics haven't done the Camino they don't understand that while there may not be air-conditioning, the opposite applies. In some larger rooms in Albergues the windows get shut at night and by morning the atmosphere is so thick that if it is at all possible to transmit person to person then it will be in these rooms.

First things first: you are being looked after. Socks? Yes, you have had to let them go. I know, it is hard, when you add up all the little sums, and then you realise how much it costs to be a lightweight pilgrim nowadays. I am glad to hear you say you have let them go. May someone else be innocently be enjoying them! As a sometimes hospitalera, I see occasionally the delight for some pilgrims when there is something in the box that is just what they think they need! If you have survived this far, Douglas, my guess is you will make it home, eventually. ( I say that as someone who had a baby brother with pneumonia, and he did survive, thank God, Except he was the first of us to disappear - with a brain tumour, at an early age.What would cheer you up now? A song? Would it be terrible to suggest you google ‘Always look on the Bright Side of LIfe? (The life of Brian). Maybe something soothing? Or about gratitude? Or about acceptance? I leave that to you. You know what helps you normally. Keep it going, Douglas.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am in Lugo's Hospital Lucus Agusti until Friday the 21st or Saturday the 22nd with pnuemonia and would love to chat to someone. I am not infectious.
Kia ora, Douglas.
I'm so sorry you're stuck there with pneumonia! And a pity I'm leaving Santiago tomorrow morning, because if I had another day I'd pop up there on the train.
But you have this gang, and that's better than staring at the wall. And @kirkie has s good idea. Monty Python. Or...whatever makes you laugh...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I am a Kiwi in my 60's

I don't know when visiting hours are or even what Ward I am in but if you ask for that crazy Peregrino called Douglas Hunt who continued walking for 8 days with pnuemonia they will know who you are talking about and send you up to see me.
Doug, so sorry to read of your illness. I am on the other side of “the Pond” from you, so the very best I can do for you today is keep you in my prayers today and over the next several weeks until you are as right as rain. Since walking the Camino, I have kept fellow peregrinos in my prayers, but now you especially. Pneumonia is nothing to trifle with, so concentrate on getting better. The Camino will wait. God bless. -Mike

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Doug, wishing you a speedy recovery from a cold and wintry Oz. It's probably cold and miserable back in Auckland too. So I hope that they have you near a window where you have a view of beautiful sunshine and you can imagine that lovely warm air.
All the best

Can a fellow pilgrim, now on the Primitivo or even at Santiago schedule a stop at Lugo to check with Doug at the hospital? Please?

If Doug is released today or tomorrow he is going to need some assistance.

Send him a Private Conversation message to open up a private conversation. I am certain he is getting proper medical care. But if a fellow pilgrim could help him get sorted with laundry, personal supplies, or anything else he might need while in bed, I am sure it would be helpful. He can not run errands while in hospita. This would be helpful.

If I were in Santiago I would get on the bus to Lugo to offer my help. But I am in Florida for another three weeks before flying over.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Doug,
Hope you are recovering though it is sometimes a slow trip from those things. I guess you will need to organise to postpone the remaining distance of your Camino, I hope that you have good insurance for any expenses. I’m in the last two months of my countdown to my own Camino so I watch what problems people are finding with great interest. As one of the kiwis said earlier, be comforted by the fact that down under it is winter and at least you are out of that.
Best wishes for recovery and recuperation.
Andrew in Oz

I am a Kiwi in my 60's

Kia Ora , thinking of you and sending you good wishes .. get well ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I was discharged from the hospital today and I am now staying with a friend in Vila Real, Portugal while I rest and regain my strength.

Once I am recovered I will assess my ability to complete my Camino on this trip.

Thank you for all the good wishes and prayers from other pilgrims.

Hi Doug, that is good news! Your story had me wondering if the doctors would let you walk on immediately. And if not (the most likely option), what then? This is a very good solution.

Enjoy your time and take it easy .... ⛱⛱⛱

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back