• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A place to stay in Leon with my son after late arrival from Madrid

Mgardener

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2017
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate some advice on the following; I'm leaving on the 29th of September for my first Camino with my 10 year old son starting from Leon (or Astorga). We are very excited but i'm a little nervous about getting there. We are flying from Dublin to Madrid. We arrive in Madrid (T1) at 4.45pm. Not sure if bus or train is best but i don't want to arrive really late with my son as we already would have left our home at 4.30 am that day and trains seem quicker.The earliest train is around 20.30 pm and won't arrive in Leon until 23.30 which is late as it is. I'm a bit concerned about having to go into Madrid to get the train, is it all pretty straight forward? Also can anyone recommend a place to stay in Leon for us, preferably in the center where we could check in possibly around midnight, and not too expensive. I expect to pay more than albergues of course and like to book in advance. Would there be taxi's from the train station at that hour? An option would be to spend the night in Madrid but i really hope to avoid the city, not in the least because it is so expensive and not so at ease with my son at night in a big city i have never been before... My Spanish is very limited which doesn't help! Any advice, tips would be much appreciated, thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate some advice on the following; I'm leaving on the 29th of September for my first Camino with my 10 year old son starting from Leon (or Astorga). We are very excited but i'm a little nervous about getting there. We are flying from Dublin to Madrid. We arrive in Madrid (T1) at 4.45pm. Not sure if bus or train is best but i don't want to arrive really late with my son as we already would have left our home at 4.30 am that day and trains seem quicker.The earliest train is around 20.30 pm and won't arrive in Leon until 23.30 which is late as it is. I'm a bit concerned about having to go into Madrid to get the train, is it all pretty straight forward? Also can anyone recommend a place to stay in Leon for us, preferably in the center where we could check in possibly around midnight, and not too expensive. I expect to pay more than albergues of course and like to book in advance. Would there be taxi's from the train station at that hour? An option would be to spend the night in Madrid but i really hope to avoid the city, not in the least because it is so expensive and not so at ease with my son at night in a big city i have never been before... My Spanish is very limited which doesn't help! Any advice, tips would be much appreciated, thank you.
Madrid is not particularly expensive. I have had no problem getting rooms for around 40€ per night. It's also pretty easy to get around, and lots of people out and about quite late at night - including children.

@Mgardener : why not take the Alsa bus from T4 at Madrid Barajas to Leon.
If you would only have handluggage the transfer could be quick.
That way you would not have to take the Cercania train to Chamartin and then further on another train.
There is bus at Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 ,16:45 . Arriving at 21.15 in Leon.

I can highly recommend this family pension to you and your son : Hostal Orejas. Very close to busstation.

http://www.hostal-orejas.es/

Good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Madrid is not particularly expensive. I have had no problem getting rooms for around 40€ per night. It's also pretty easy to get around, and lots of people out and about quite late at night - including children.
Thanks Trecile that's good to know. As i posted my message i realise staying overnight in Madrid probably makes more sense rather than travelling onto Leon after an already long day. Any places you would recommend? Would airB&B be a good option rather than hotels?

@Mgardener : why not take the Alsa bus from T4 at Madrid Barajas to Leon.
If you would only have handluggage the transfer could be quick.
That way you would not have to take the Cercania train to Chamartin and then further on another train.
There is bus at Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 ,16:45 . Arriving at 21.15 in Leon.

I can highly recommend this family pension to you and your son : Hostal Orejas. Very close to busstation.

http://www.hostal-orejas.es/

Good luck!
Thanks SabineP! We only arrive in Madrid at 16.45 so would not make that bus unfortunately but i guess we could take the 18.45 bus, arriving in Leon at 22.15 pm. I'm also reconsidering staying the night in Madrid as it's such a long day otherwise and just leave early morning.. But ultimately i rather stay the night in Leon as we would save time the next day.. thanks very much for your recommendation, i will certainly check it out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have stayed here a couple of times. Concierge is on site, so opens any time. It is close to the bus and train station, and fairly close to "downtown." You can check it out on booking.com

Hostal Prada Borges
Av. Roma, 18, 24001 León, Spain
hostalpradaborges.es
+34 987 22 64 44
Thanks falcon269, I will check it out. Still undecided about travel schedule whether to stay in Madrid or make it to Leon the first night..

I realise i might be a little late with booking a place to stay in Leon for a Friday night in two weeks time..Both recommended places by SabineP and falcon269 are booked out and so are others i checked so far... any other good places someone could recommend? Also any suggestions whether it makes more sense to stay the night in Madrid or Leon would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi, Mgardener,
Welcome to the forum!

I was going to add my typical caution that you should contact the hostal directly, because booking and other websites only have access to several of any place's rooms. But then I looked at the Hostal Orejas website to see that it is totally booked for several weekends coming up! I couldn't figure out how to check availability on the Prada Borges website (the place falcon recommended), but I would suggest trying them directly. As your tolerance for higher room prices rises, things get easier, so in a pinch you might just have to go to a nicer place than you had planned, but that's not all bad either.

If it were me, I would try to power through and make it to León on your arrival night. Getting into and out of Madrid adds some hassle (though transportation is easy) without much benefit. And then the next day you are back in schlepping mode. If you are tired and don't want to leave early from León the next day, there are ways to sleep in and then make it a short day, especially if you take the off-highway alternative at Virgen del Camino (highly recommended by most).

Buen camino! Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed in and can highly recommend the Leon Hostel wich is about 200 metres from the cathedral - http://www.leonhostel.es/ -
Just checked on booking.com and they have a twin bed room available for the 29th September for 30 euros.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Mgardener,
Welcome to the forum!

I was going to add my typical caution that you should contact the hostal directly, because booking and other websites only have access to several of any place's rooms. But then I looked at the Hostal Orejas website to see that it is totally booked for several weekends coming up! I couldn't figure out how to check availability on the Prada Borges website (the place falcon recommended), but I would suggest trying them directly. As your tolerance for higher room prices rises, things get easier, so in a pinch you might just have to go to a nicer place than you had planned, but that's not all bad either.

If it were me, I would try to power through and make it to León on your arrival night. Getting into and out of Madrid adds some hassle (though transportation is easy) without much benefit. And then the next day you are back in schlepping mode. If you are tired and don't want to leave early from León the next day, there are ways to sleep in and then make it a short day, especially if you take the off-highway alternative at Virgen del Camino (highly recommended by most).

Buen camino! Laurie
Hi, Mgardener,
Welcome to the forum!

Buen camino! Laurie
Thanks Laurie for your message. And thanks for checking the hostal also, i will try and contact Prada Borges directly. I appreciate what you say about getting to Leon, it's how i feel too. Staying in Madrid might just delay starting our Camino.. I just realised though the earliest bus i could take is at 18.30 but doesn't leave from T4 but from the main bus station Estacion Sur. We land at 16.45 all going well and plan to not check in luggage but would it give us enough time to get to that bus station do you think?

www.hostelcoventgarden.com
+34 987 00 44 28 / 601 08 20 02. Calle Ancha, 25 | 24003 León | España | reservas@hostelcoventgarden.com . Inicio · Nuestras Habitaciones ... NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST. HOSTEL COVENT GARDEN ...
I found this place welcoming and very comfortable. €17.00 with breakfast included. Owner has walked 'the' Camino. Buen Camino
Thanks Kirkie for the recommendation, sounds good!

I stayed in and can highly recommend the Leon Hostel wich is about 200 metres from the cathedral - http://www.leonhostel.es/ -
Just checked on booking.com and they have a twin bed room available for the 29th September for 30 euros.
Thanks David for your suggestion and for checking it out. I will look at it and hope to decide on accommodation this evening. I'm grateful for all the recommendations, makes it a bit easier to find a place, thank you to all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Mgardener ...in your OP you wrote about Astorga too.Now that is another option indeed.
Smaller to navigate but lesser hostales too.
But it saves you some days maybe making the walking a bit more relaxed?
And the chocolate museum might appeal to your child?
Although I do like the etapas between Leon and Astorga especially if you walk via Vilar de Mazarife instead of Villadangos de Paramo.

Thanks Laurie for your message. And thanks for checking the hostal also, i will try and contact Prada Borges directly. I appreciate what you say about getting to Leon, it's how i feel too. Staying in Madrid might just delay starting our Camino.. I just realised though the earliest bus i could take is at 18.30 but doesn't leave from T4 but from the main bus station Estacion Sur. We land at 16.45 all going well and plan to not check in luggage but would it give us enough time to get to that bus station do you think?
Hi, mgardener,
Estación Sur is one of two or three bus stations in Madrid, and some of the buses to León leave from Moncloa but that isn't going to make it easier for you. You can get to Estación Sur by cercanias trains, but those leave from T4. They have a good timetable online, so you could see if you thought it might work. But otherwise, a cab will be 30 €, I think. It won't be prime rush hour, but there is always traffic. If your flight arrives on time and you head out to the taxi stand, I think that would be the quickest and most reliable way to get to Estación Sur.

One last thought -- there is also a shuttle bus from the airport to the Estacion Sur, I remember there was one member who always recommended it. But I can't do a good forum search now since I'm not on my computer, so you might give that option a try by searching on the forum. Buen camino, Laurie

Still undecided about travel schedule whether to stay in Madrid or make it to Leon the first night..
Madrid is a great city to visit, but not of much use for an overnight stay to go somewhere else the next day. There is no pedestrian access to the airport, so you need a hotel near the train or bus station, and will need a taxi, bus, or train to get to it. It will take time and money both to get to the hotel and to the station of your choice. Even a late arrival in Leon would permit you to get a night's sleep, see the city, and walk two hours to La Virgen del Camino. There is a nice albergue and two good (?) affordable hostales there. The following day you would have a modest day to Mazarife or Villadangos, or a long day to San Martin or Hospital.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks to all for your suggestions, I'm very grateful to have received all your tips and recommendations as it helped me decide what to do, how to do it and where to stay.
I decided I rather make it to León, even if late so we are more at ease and flexible to start where we want the next day and not waste time in Madrid. Taking the bus seemed too complicated and stressful within the time frame, having only about an hour and half to get from T1 to T4 and then estacion sur..so I booked the train leaving at 20.25 from Madrid arriving in Leon at 22.31pm, which is quicker than I initially thought. It's a rather long wait on between but at least there's no rush getting to the train station and we'll have time to have something to eat and look around. Much better especially with a child in tow. I also booked a twin room in Leonhostel for €33. I'm happy to have booked travel and stay so far so there's less and less to worry about! Looking forward to start walking, only 2 weeks to go! Thanks so much for all your support on this forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks to all for your suggestions, I'm very grateful to have received all your tips and recommendations as it helped me decide what to do, how to do it and where to stay.
I decided I rather make it to León, even if late so we are more at ease and flexible to start where we want the next day and not waste time in Madrid. Taking the bus seemed too complicated and stressful within the time frame, having only about an hour and half to get from T1 to T4 and then estacion sur..so I booked the train leaving at 20.25 from Madrid arriving in Leon at 22.31pm, which is quicker than I initially thought. It's a rather long wait on between but at least there's no rush getting to the train station and we'll have time to have something to eat and look around. Much better especially with a child in tow. I also booked a twin room in Leonhostel for €33. I'm happy to have booked travel and stay so far so there's less and less to worry about! Looking forward to start walking, only 2 weeks to go! Thanks so much for all your support on this forum.

Good plan! The Cercania train from the airport to Chamartin train station is easy to find.
Also Chamartin station has a decent selection of places to eat inside and outside the station.

Buen Camino!

Good plan! The Cercania train from the airport to Chamartin train station is easy to find.
Also Chamartin station has a decent selection of places to eat inside and outside the station.

Buen Camino!
Thanks very much!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back