• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A prospective pilgrim in April-May

flytomj

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself for the first time in this forum.

I am a 24 yr old student from Boston and I've been thinking about this trip for a while and never had the courage to actually carry it through... So I've decided to just go for it!

I will start walking on April 12th from St Jean Pied de Port and (hopefully) finish up in Santiago de Compostela at the end of May. If I have enough time (and energy), it would nice to visit Finisterra too... Will anyone be walking nearby at the time??

Any advice from past pilgrims would be helpful. I still need to get a sleeping bag but don't know how cold it gets in the North of Spain during that time, especially through the pyrenees...

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good evening and let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. As you know there's all the information you need here; just keep reading previous threads.
Needless to say, other kind folk will contribute directly to your initial post and help you as you plan.
Your timeframe appears good.
Be careful of the total weight of your gear BEFORE you depart.

Buen Camino.

Hi

Welcome to the forum. Mid April the weather can still be pretty cold especially at night and in the higher elevations. Layering clothes is the answer as you'll see from various threads. If you have a lighter sleeping bag you can use blankets provided in most albergues or put on more clothes going to bed! But I'd prepare for wet and cold weather as well as packing a pair of shorts and some sunscreen!

Rgds

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I will be 2 days behind you, also leaving from SJPdP. We plan to be in Santiago by mid-May so perhaps we'll meet somewhere on the trail. We got lightweight "three season" sleeping bags for our trip as we don't want to be cold, and also splurged on rain gear as it's not pleasant walking wet, and northern Spain can be both in April/May. Have fun with the planning and preparation.

Buen Camino
Dick

hi and good luck im starting on 21st april from sjpd staying one night in sjpd on the 20th it is my first camino as well at 24 your running to my walking but there is 44 years beween us
john

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.