• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

A question on Kit for this time of year Leon - Santiago

MermaidRach

Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023 & now 2024
Hi All,
I will be join the path later in the week. What is the essential kit for this season and this stretch?

Previously I have walked in June & Sept/October. both times it was warm/hot, I was carrying the absolute basics: a silk liner, one jumper, shorts, t-shirt, 2 socks, boots + one change of clothes for after the day of walking has completed. ibuprofen, walking poles and compeed + soap, water bottle. Then as soon as land, wash everything leave it to dry and put it all back on the following day.

I hear it's wetter, harder and cooler on this stretch... is it? Is it possible to wash and dry? What would be your essentials? for example - shall I bring a sleeping bag? (I'm a miserable cold person). Poncho v water proof? How to handle wet feet?

Oh and Im flying into Santiago, so I'm thinking I could buy kit from pilgrims finishing up - is there a facility for that anywhere?

I'd really appreciate any tips and also a weather report from Galicia! Thanks in advance.

Rachel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh and Im flying into Santiago, so I'm thinking I could buy kit from pilgrims finishing up - is there a facility for that anywhere?
Check Pilgrim House. They receive used gearbdonations from pilgrims who have finished the Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
IVAR also has donated gear. Between him and Pilgrim House a few doors down, I have observed enough donated gear, including packs, to do the whole Camino. I use the same gear for 3 seasons. It includes very light down Traveler sleeping bag, no liner; FrogTogs raincoat large enough to go around me and my pack + rain skirt; Bball cap, but no other hat or gloves. 2 pairs of SmartWool socks--your feet get wet, stop every now and then to wring out the socks. Put on your dry pair when you get to the albergue. Expect morning temperatures 36-44 degrees F until after the first week in May when temps rise about 10 degrees. I carry a Uniqlo down puffy just in case I have to sit around in the cold any length of time, and might have to sleep in it in unheated albergue.

Most read last week in this forum