• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feedback on first Camino kit list

Aikon

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Over the last few months I’ve been assembling my kit list for a mid September start, mostly already owned from running/cycling/hiking, I’ve done a few long distance unsupported cycle trips & wild camp hikes so keen to keep the kit list lean, while including a couple of luxuries like a Kindle, electric toothbrush & running kit…

ItemBack PackWaist PackWeight on me
Total Weight4081g898g1433g
Rab Aeon Ultra 28L Backpack713
Euro wallet & 3 card55
Montane Gecko 1 waist pack90
On Cloudventure Shoes620
Crocs/flops
Shorts226248
Waterproof Jacket244
Patagonia Terrebonne Lightweight Trousers170
2x LS Patagonia Capilene Light153153
1x Rossignol Merino153
3x underwear15276
3x Patagonia Hemp Crew Socks15477
Running shorts (Nike Stride)145
SS Jersey New Balance100
Hat Columbia Schooner Bank Cachalot80
Belt74
Phone218
Kindle Paperwhite205
Portable Battery (Anker 525 Power Bank)345
Headphones61
Garmin Watch71
Head torch Petzl Bindi35
Euro Charger Anker 323 Euro 2 pin68
USB-C to Lightning Cable20
USB-C to USB-C Cable17
Garmin Charge Cable15
Guide Book278
Passport35
Travel Documents
Travel Insurance
Towel Lifeventure Microfibre126
Soap Bar & Case120
Deodorant100
Toothbrush Suri Electric82
Toothpaste62
Hairbrush41
Mesh Wash Bag38
Glasses34
Sun Protection150
Silk & Cotton Sleeping bag liner (Sea to Summit)129
Electrolytes102
2x 500ml bottles80
Sudocrem73
First Aid Pack55
Emergency Blanket50
Earplugs & Sleep Mask33
Pack of Tissues27
Antisan25
Compeed20
Lipsyl14

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ummm... no sleeping system? (sorry if I missed something). I've done 1 early October start, and another this year planned. I ditched my sleeping liner for a sleeping bag. Yea, 700g for a lightweight bag, but dam it gets cold in certain areas around then.

+1 go minimal on the electronic IMO. I'd rather sleep warm and chat with pilgrims than do screen time. I get that at home already 🙈

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry.., reading over the list in case I missed something. But yea, PowerBank? Like you can charge every night, and even in a cafe at lunch if needed. Kindle? Slum it ✌️ and bike shorts? Go commando when needed. 😉. There's your sleeping bag.

To double down on the electronics, they weigh over a kilo. Battery alone is 345 gr, and you only need that because one of your gadgets might run out between albergues. A smartphone is more than adequate for navigating and I doubt if you’ll be doing much reading. The internet doesn’t keep you warm at night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anyone who weighs their glasses is taking it seriously.

Add a light sleeping bag; remove the emergency blanket; find a lighter power bank.*

* I agree that a power bank is not a necessity as charging is easy; but it allows you to leave an inexpensive item on charge and unattended.

Personally; I would find a kilo in a waist pack uncomfortable.

Thank you for the feedback so far, I can definitely ditch the guidebook and switch out the emergency blanket for a light sleep quilt or blanket, I rarely sleep with covers so wouldn’t need much.

The kindle is more for the journey out and back as it’s 13 hours of buses, trains, planes & more buses, (if it goes well…) and if I‘m struggling to sleep then 15 minutes reading almost always sorts that.

@henrythedog nails the powerbank theory, on long cycle tours I’ve left a power bank on charge in a variety of places, plus it’ll be used by my sister & BiL who I’ll be meeting at Leon, popping it in the backpack would sort most of the weight in the waist pack.

Looks like a good list to start with and thank you for providing it in a format one can work with, makes it a lot easier.
If you want to optimize in terms of weight, here are my thoughts

- 3 different shorts and 1 very light long pant --> 1 light short and 1 "sturdy" long pant is enough
- 2 capilene, 1 rossignol, 1 new balance --> not sure what is what, but 2 short shirts and 1 long is enough
- i never used my kindle and sent it back with the mail. consider not taking it
- your Powerbank is very heavy. consider taking a lighter one (like 2500mh/75g) or none at all
- head torch is a disputed item. i never took one
- see if you can get a digital version of the guidebook
- if you don't want to wrap yourself in it, a 40g towel does the same job
- take a smaller deodorant, buy locally when empty
- maybe switch for a manual toothbrush
- toothpase + sunscreen --> same as deodorant
- also for electrolytes, same.
- the emergency blanket could stay at home

stuff i would take additionally:
- the famous S-shape hook
- sleeping bag instead of liner (and then you can ditch the emergency blanket)
- some clothe pins
- i had a small cork ball to roll out sore muscles.

edit: for comparison i posted my packing list here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...l-comfort-for-me-at-least.74766/#post-1028828

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You are dead right to look for advice.
Will you take it?
In the end, I took what I decided was what I could carry.
If it is over the magical 10% limit, ditch it.
Spain, or Portugal, or France also, and any nearby countries - you will find what you need there.
A young woman I know has set off this week with her old runners.
She will replace them if/when needs be.. and to use an expression I detest - go figure! 😇

You are dead right to look for advice.
Will you take it?
In the end, I took what I decided was what I could carry.
If it is over the magical 10% limit, ditch it.

Absolutely I’ll listen to advice, some great points already, the S-hook is a definite addition, as head of laundry at home I find they’re invaluable for bags, wash baskets & allsorts.

Years of cycling helped me take just 6kg when I cycled across Europe solo including tools, spares, luggage & contents so appreciate the pool of experience available here.

Looks like a good list to start with and thank you for providing it in a format one can work with, makes it a lot easier.
If you want to optimize in terms of weight, here are my thoughts

- 3 different shorts and 1 very light long pant --> 1 light short and 1 "sturdy" long pant is enough
- 2 capilene, 1 rossignol, 1 new balance --> not sure what is what, but 2 short shirts and 1 long is enough
- i never used my kindle and sent it back with the mail. consider not taking it
- your Powerbank is very heavy. consider taking a lighter one (like 2500mh/75g) or none at all
- head torch is a disputed item. i never took one
- see if you can get a digital version of the guidebook
- if you don't want to wrap yourself in it, a 40g towel does the same job
- take a smaller deodorant, buy locally when empty
- maybe switch for a manual toothbrush
- toothpase + sunscreen --> same as deodorant
- also for electrolytes, same.
- the emergency blanket could stay at home

stuff i would take additionally:
- the famous S-shape hook
- sleeping bag instead of liner (and then you can ditch the emergency blanket)
- some clothe pins
- i had a small cork ball to roll out sore muscles.

edit: for comparison i posted my packing list here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...l-comfort-for-me-at-least.74766/#post-1028828

The Capilene tops are long sleeve for walking in, the Rossignol is a warmer top in lieu of a light fleece, the New Balance top along with the Nike shorts is a small luxury as I’ll probably squeeze a run in here or there…
I could definitely trim a set of leg wear & a top.
Definitely adding the S-Hook & switching the emergency blanket out for a light sleeping option.

Thanks for posting your kit list, I’ll have a study later, I’ve a race to prep for this afternoon!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The kindle is more for the journey out and back as it’s 13 hours of buses, trains, planes & more buses, (if it goes well…) and if I‘m struggling to sleep then 15 minutes reading almost always sorts that.
You can get a Kindle app on your phone, I believe, and just use your phone as the reader.

The other alternative is to send your electronics (and any other things you don't need on your journey) ahead to Santiago to reclaim at the end once you are in Spain. Use either Casa Ivar or the Spanish post office, Correos.

If you're shipping from SJPP you can use the company Express Boricault.

I shipped a tablet and camera ahead (among other things) to Casa Ivar in Santiago (who runs this forum) and picked it up with no problem.

And "I’ll probably squeeze a run in here or there…" That's ambitious! 🤣

Last edited:
You could also consider instead of a waist-pack to use pants and shorts with zipped cargo pockets. These held everything I needed, even a small guidebook. The waist pack is just something else to hassle with, IMO.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That would drive me up the wall, having things banging against my legs in pockets while I walked. I cannot even stand the zippers on those zip off pants, so they stay at home.
Sticking with my waist pack, where everything is easy to find, glasses, phone, pilgrim pass, small money, IBS pills to take if needed and my tiny toy donkey, Paco Jr.

That would drive me up the wall, having things banging against my legs in pockets while I walked. I cannot even stand the zippers on those zip off pants, so they stay at home.
Sticking with my waist pack, where everything is easy to find, glasses, phone, pilgrim pass, small money, IBS pills to take if needed and my tiny toy donkey, Paco Jr.
I guess I don't have very much in those pockets, basically just a phone and wallet, and then a passport, etc . in a money belt. So not much banging, just a different style of what I think I need handy.

Over the last few months I’ve been assembling my kit list for a mid September start, mostly already owned from running/cycling/hiking, I’ve done a few long distance unsupported cycle trips & wild camp hikes so keen to keep the kit list lean, while including a couple of luxuries like a Kindle, electric toothbrush & running kit…

Euro wallet & 3 card55
On Cloudventure Shoes620
Crocs/flops
Shorts226248
Waterproof Jacket244
1x Rossignol Merino153
3x underwear15276
SS Jersey New Balance100
Belt74
Phone218
Kindle Paperwhite205
Headphones61
Garmin Watch71
Head torch Petzl Bindi35
USB-C to USB-C Cable17
Garmin Charge Cable15
Guide Book278
Passport35
Travel Documents
Travel Insurance
Soap Bar & Case120
Deodorant100
Toothpaste62
Hairbrush41
Mesh Wash Bag38
Glasses34
Sun Protection150
Electrolytes102
2x 500ml bottles80
Sudocrem73
First Aid Pack55
Emergency Blanket50
Earplugs & Sleep Mask33
Pack of Tissues27
Antisan25
Compeed20
Lipsyl14
I guess I don't have very much in those pockets, basically just a phone and wallet, and then a passport, etc . in a money belt. So not much banging, just a different style of what I think I need handy.

Euro wallet & 3 card55
On Cloudventure Shoes620
Crocs/flops
Shorts226248
Waterproof Jacket244
1x Rossignol Merino153
3x underwear15276
SS Jersey New Balance100
Belt74
Phone218
Kindle Paperwhite205
Headphones61
Garmin Watch71
Head torch Petzl Bindi35
USB-C to USB-C Cable17
Garmin Charge Cable15
Guide Book278
Passport35
Travel Documents
Travel Insurance
Soap Bar & Case120
Deodorant100
Toothpaste62
Hairbrush41
Mesh Wash Bag38
Glasses34
Sun Protection150
Electrolytes102
2x 500ml bottles80
Sudocrem73
First Aid Pack55
Emergency Blanket50
Earplugs & Sleep Mask33
Pack of Tissues27
Antisan25
Compeed20
Lipsyl14
Hi there! How was your Camino? What did you think of your On Cloudventure shoes? I’m considering getting a pair but wondering if they are too heavy or hot for a summer Camino. I start on June 1st. I found a nearly new pair at a second-hand store for $20 so I had to buy them. Any other insight on your gear?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.