• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A sharing of caring

JohnMcM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some, and with luck, some more.
Hello,

This is a post to possibly help others.

I've thought long and hard about the wording of this post, mainly because I found it hard to find the words that would not make it read like a "poor little John, let's all feel sorry for him" post.

This year I walked the Portuguese Senda Litoral to SDC then hopped a bus to Ferrol for the Camino Ingles. For the last 2 days on the Portuguse route and all of the Ingles I felt out 'of sorts', not ill, just very tired, weary and lethargic. That took me by surprise. I'm 64 and have lived an active life with little, if any real physical ailments.

That said, I guess like many others I ignored those what we think are insignificant little things that appear on our body and affect our daily bodily functions. Therein lies the reason for this post.

It turns out my lethargic state was because I have become gluten intolerant. I understand that it is not unusual for folks my age to discover this. Seems that the exercetions of this last Camino were too much for my immune system coupled with the diet I have always had and everything came to a head.

Fortunately, other post Camino symptoms and hospital trips uncovered that I also have some areas of skin sun damage and skin cancer, which have now been cut out. This despite all the skin protection precautions I've taken.

So, why this post? Well, for no reason other than to remind you, it's wise to get a check-up before and after your Camino.

Buen (health-filled) Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am so glad you have your health issues straightened out and under control. It is always a good idea, at any age, to see your physician before any new/long/strenuous undertaking...which pretty much sums up the camino. Also always good to listen to your body.

Thank you for this @JohnMcM; I'm glad you've had your issues sorted out. One afternoon while on camino we were all sitting around the albergue courtyard enjoying the warmth of the sun. I offered to share my space with another peregrina, but was rather testily told that she didn't sit in the sun because of prior skin cancer episodes. It was a not so gentle, yet obviously needed, reminder to me that I should be more conscious that not everyone views the warmth of the sun in the same manner.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also always good to listen to your body.
And to act on what you hear, especially if you have an 'Uh-oh' feeling about it that makes you want to avoid doing so.
Procrastination does not always have bad consequences in our lives, but with health...not a good idea.
If you think there's something abnormal going on, and it's out of the realm of your ordinary bodily experience, don't just sit there--do something.
Thank you for the timely reminder, John, and wishing you good health!

Since gluten intolerance doesnt happen over night, I would anticipate a greater sense of well being as you enbrace this new dietary life style. The signs and symptoms, even early on, can affect many unexpected parts of the body. Enjoy your new health
Nanc

So sorry to hear of the gluten intolerance. But that means you can eat lots of Tarta de Santiago because it uses ground almonds instead of flour. Yum!

I make this cake pretty frequently. It's lovely for dessert with an after dinner drink and tasty the next morning with hot coffee:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/almond-cake-366229

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lots of sun in south Florida necessitates an annual visit to the dermatologist; however, I skipped the last couple of years for no good reason. I hate going to the doctors. Anyway, ended up getting something shaved from my left temple and need to do a skin peel on the top of my head. I wear a hat all the time, but the damage most likely occurred years ago. I have spent countless hours on the boat and embrace the sun, but always wear a hat and sunscreen.

As one who is over 60, and having experienced medical problems on at least two Caminos, I developed a habit that is now part of my regular preparation leading up to my next Camino, or volunteer work. I am in the habit of having a annual, full physical examination with full blood work panels each December, my Christmas present to ME.

Also, each January I have my annual eye-exam and refraction, so new eyeglasses can be obtained timely. Each March, I have a full-body dermatological exam, a semi-annual dentist visit, and semi-annual blood labs and ultrasound exams for my chronic wonky liver...

Also, this coming January, as a one-off thing after a year of "watchful waiting" I am having a bionic eye installed to replace a growing cataract in my left eye. Actually it is a Bausch & Lomb "Crystal Lens" adjustable contact lens to replace my cloudy natural lens. This lens works both for near vision and intermediate vision. I will still need a distance lens for driving, but my right eye requires progressive bifocals anyway.

This necessarily means that, when Camino season (for me) starts in April, I am "good to go."

I offer this, arguably perhaps TMI, merely as a means to compare preparing your Camino "vehicle" - your body - much in the same way you would prepare your car before a long, multi-day journey. if you simply add gas / petrol and speed down the road, are you surprised when you have a flat tire or another mechanical breakdown to spoil your holiday? Preparing your body to undertake both long distance travel and a Camino is no different, at least IMHO.

As many of us have these preventative medical visits routinely each year, consider shifting the dates to more closely comport with your planned Camino activities. In my view, this works best if you, like me, stick to Caminos during the "hip periods" of April - early June, and September - October.

I hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the world of gluten intolerance/celiac disease.:) I managed very well on my Camino this past September with celiac disease by hitting grocery stores and markets for most of my food. I brought some Glutenfreeda instant oatmeal packets for breakfasts and a few Alpineaire backpacker meals that came in handy. I managed to find plenty of sin gluten labeled products along the way including chorizo, jamon serrano, tortillas de patatas, cookies, bread, nuts. Of course, fruits, veggies and cheeses are always a safe bet.

Not all tarta de Santiago are gluten free and the danger of cross contamination is absolute if the tarta is sliced with the same knife that is used to slice a gluten-full cake. Even if I salivated seeing all the tartas, I refrained from getting any until I found a shop in Santiago that had gluten free labeled tartas. I pigged out on one:eek: and it was absolutely yummy.:D

Edit: The shop where I found the sin gluten tarta de Santiago is at 1 Rua da Algalia de Arriba just off the Praza de Cervantes.

Last edited:
[. But that means you can eat lots of Tarta de Santiago because it uses ground almonds instead of flour.

WHAT!! You mean I could have been eating it all along!!??

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.