• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A stupid washing thing..

I have tried so many shampoo bars and have now given up - none of them work well on my hair. So I will be taking a travel size bottle of shampoo which I will replenish from abandoned shampoo bottles in the hostels! Then a good old bar of soap for all my other washing needs
Exactly like me, thats the reason for trying the leaves.. a drawer full, even the most expensive ones from hairdressers, nope - shampoo bottle for me too ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have tried so many shampoo bars and have now given up - none of them work well on my hair. So I will be taking a travel size bottle of shampoo which I will replenish from abandoned shampoo bottles in the hostels! Then a good old bar of soap for all my other washing needs
If you are comparing a liquid shampoo to a shampoo bar, especially if you are used to a liquid shampoo that claims to be "moisturizing", shampoo bars will definitely feel different. Many liquid shampoos have added silicones and other ingredients to make your hair feel moisturized and soft and have nothing to do with cleansing. These ingredients can build up on your hair and even cause long term damage. Shampoo BARS almost never contain those ingredients, so as you rinse the suds off, you might find that your hair is squeaky or catchy (I don't know how else to describe it). Even so, shampoo bars usually contain very mild ingredients meant to gently cleanse your hair and are the correct pH for healthy hair. (Stay away from shampoo bars that are made with lye, like soap. Those have a pH that is far too high to be healthy for hair).

The moisturizing/softness elements should come from a good conditioner; NOT a shampoo. And good conditioner bars include ingredients like cocoa butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil, argan or Abyssinian oil, and hydrolyzed proteins. They outshine liquid conditioners by a long shot. No comparison.

I have been using a shampoo bar the last 3 caminos and I also just ordered two more from @JillGat here on the forum who makes them. I don't like them as much as my liquid shampoo, but they are lighter and I can wash my whole person with it rather than carrying something separate. For clothes I have a piece of a laundry soap bar ( the same quarter of a bar has lasted me three caminos). I use it for socks and undies, but usually try to wash my clothes in a regular washing machine every few days.
I put the things I want to wash in the shower with me…soap them up then use my feet as I’m washing myself to “agitate” my clothes. Personally, I don’t think things get really DIRTY, more like sweaty…that can be rinsed out with a light soaping.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I store mine in a tin purchased where I get my bars. After showering I take the bar and tin to my bunk, set the bar on its side inside the tin to air dry. When relaxing on my bed the smell from the bar lingers. It’s quite nice. Oh and before Camino I’ll cut a piece of parchment to place at the bottom inside the tin. Helps prevent the bar from sticking if still damp.
View attachment 163804
I also use Lush bars but can't get the lid off the tin. I use one of Lush's pots with the screw on lid (after using all of the cream that came in it) but drill holes in the lid for ventilation. They are just the right size for the bar. The parchment idea is genius!

I also use Lush bars but can't get the lid off the tin. I use one of Lush's pots with the screw on lid (after using all of the cream that came in it) but drill holes in the lid for ventilation. They are just the right size for the bar. The parchment idea is genius!
I cut those meshy soap pads to fit in the bottom of the tin. They drain and stay dry on those. https://mollyssuds.com/products/soap-saver

That's what I use (the "honey" soap bar from Lush, which doesn't smell too strongly). I find the other solid universal soaps like castille to be harsh on the skin.
Real Castile soap, by definition, is made with just saponified olive oil, so it's a mild as can be. The problem is all the companies that misidentify their soaps as "castile" (Dr. Bronner, I'm lookin' at you), when actually they contain mostly different, harsher chemicals.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.