• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you wash your clothes with

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use a shampoo bar to wash my body and hair, but for my laundry I use laundry detergent sheets. Here's the method that I use from another thread:

I use the same washing method whether I'm in an albergue or a room with a private bath.

Here's my method:

I use a ultralight 12 liter Osprey dry bag (weighs 1.2 oz/34 gm) as my portable washing machine.

I put my clothes in it as I'm getting into the shower with water from the shower as it's warming up. Then I add half of a laundry detergent sheet (some brands are Breezeo and Tru Earth)
Then I seal it up and give it a few shakes. I set it aside for everything to soak while I shower and dress.
Then I shake it a bit more to agitate the clothes in the bag before dumping it out in the laundry sink and rinsing. If I'm in a private room with my own bathroom I use the tub or shower. The detergent sheets don't make a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean and it's easy to rinse out.

It's a good idea to rinse out your socks before putting them in the bag as they can be really dirty.

After wringing the clothes out as best I can I wrap them in my towel and twist it to get out more water before hanging them to dry.

Because of the long soaking time method gets my clothes cleaner with less effort than when I used just the laundry sinks or tubs.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I use a shampoo bar for body and hair.
If I'm staying in albergues I usually take a hand-washing bar (something like Fels Naptha) that I pick up in SJPP or Pamplona. If I'm staying in privates with washing machines, I carry fragrance free laundry sheets.

I use a a product called 'Wilderness Wash' which is designed for just that. A bonus is that it contains citronella that deters mosquitos etc. It's available on Amazon if you need a full description/plan on buying some 👍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used Aleppo soap for all purposes. Clothes, hair, body. Comes in different scents. I chosed the lavender scent. Best used with a hangable soapcloth. After use let it dry before store it in a watertight bag in your backpack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used Dr. Bronner's Soap - 1 bar for everything. And then celebrated when I stayed in the occasional Pension or Casa Rural that had REAL shampoo! I hadn't known about the washing "sheets" before I left, and had a I known, I'd have taken some. As others have said, they weigh almost nothing and are super-easy to use, as I experienced while scrubbing clothes with my bar of soap next to someone who had the sheets.

I use a tiny bottle of camping laundry soap. I tried the little detergent sheets and didn’t love them. I also bring a Scrubba on my Caminos but this is not necessary.

I use a shampoo bar to wash my body and hair, but for my laundry I use laundry detergent sheets. Here's the method that I use from another thread:
Hi @trecile - your trusted system of laundry washing has worked a treat for me ever since you first posted about it - some years ago now.
The laundry detergent sheets are brilliant too - so light and more efficient than soap.
I’m currently in Singapore for a few days before heading to the UK and Spain - to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office and to walk for a few weeks. The daily laundry for Steve and me looks like this -
D7748856-4AB3-4B6A-A5E7-4F6B9711F293.jpeg
Cheers - Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know about "the best,"😊 but I am satisfied with a bar of all-purpose soap, or a shampoo bar, for everything.
Although I’m happy to use normal soap for washing clothes; after multi caminos , I still haven’t tried using same to wash my hair. I really will have to test it at home one day 🤪🤣

Hi @trecile - your trusted system of laundry washing has worked a treat for me ever since you first posted about it - some years ago now.
The laundry detergent sheets are brilliant too - so light and more efficient than soap.
I’m currently in Singapore for a few days before heading to the UK and Spain - to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office and to walk for a few weeks. The daily laundry for Steve and me looks like this -
View attachment 167513
Cheers - Jenny
Hi Jenny.
In your pic - Is the tiny pile Steve’s and the yellow bag full all yours. 🤣

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Although I’m happy to use normal soap for washing clothes; after multi caminos , I still haven’t tried using same to wash my hair. I really will have to test it at home one day 🤪🤣
I tried using bar soap (I think Dove) on my hair when camping years ago. It felt strange and difficult to rinse out. I bring cheap Suave shampoo on the Camino in a travel size bottle. It is so easy to use and works great on my body and laundry, too. I'm not interested in messing with bar soap on the Camino and storing it while still wet, although I know there are some nice ones other people love.

Yes Chrissy
I usually bring both too. Often end up having to empty my travel size shampoo and conditioner before leaving Spain., because when in accommodation that provides it - I use it.
Admittedly this time … I’ve messed up with flitting about trying to find drier trails with less mud and in the end ‘ gave up ‘ & settled for being a tourist over the last 10 days. Hence I didn’t stay in as many albergues as in previous years.

Last edited:
I do not like how my hair feels using bar soap. With my first Camino I brought a 3oz bottle of liquid detergent from home, once that was gone I just used my bar soap or shampoo to wash my clothing. My 2nd Camino I splurged and purchased from Amazon travel size packets of Tide liquid detergent to last my through my month of travel - worked great.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do not like how my hair feels using bar soap. With my first Camino I brought a 3oz bottle of liquid detergent from home, once that was gone I just used my bar soap or shampoo to wash my clothing. My 2nd Camino I splurged and purchased from Amazon travel size packets of Tide liquid detergent to last my through my month of travel - worked great.
It wasn't too harsh using it on your hair?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dr. Bronners soap does a marvelous job, leaving very little to no residue, and my clothes feel pretty darn clean afterwards. I like the lemon scented one for laundry, and the lavender one for shower time.🪻🍋
Yes! This is what we used on our Camino, one soap for all, and it’s also biodegradable! We used the Lavender one. Hope this helps! BUEN CAMINO

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What is the best all in one detergent that washes body, hair and clothes?
I use savon de Marseilles -- on a longer Camino I might take one block of the lavender variety to shower with, and another block of normal olive oil stuff for my clothes ; but on a shorter sub-1,000K Camino, just one block of olive oil green savon de Marseilles should be enough.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 167513
Cheers - Jenny
Great recommendations Jenny, As for me, I have used Earth Breeze Landry Detergent sheets on AT and now my Caminos. Also for bathing, try Scrubzz Bath Single Shower Sponges. Every thing weighs but these two products are no bargainers for backpacking.

Dawn dishwashing soap for shampoo/body wash and Breezeo laundry sheets (supplemented with Dawn and a tiny wedge of Fels Naptha for tough stains).

I use Sea to Summit laundry soap leaves in a Scrubba bag. One or two leaves per wash. Package of 50 is about size of a book of matches, and does 25+ washes. Carry them in a little sealable plastic bag because if they get damp they are useless.
I also use Sea to Summit shaving soap leaves. 2 per shave so 25 shaves in size of matchbook.
I have their hand soap also, but find there is generally hand soap supplied along the way, and I just use an exfoliating mitt for showering.

Ecover washing up liquid. Natural, suits mosts skin. Great for dishes, clothes, bodies, hair and as a bonus is particularly good for getting oil off! A small bottle 50ml goes a long way. Also most European health food stores do refills....

I take a small urine sample tube with head and shoulders shampoo just in case i need it. (dual purpose item🤣)
i stay in a mix of Hotel's, Hostal's and Albergue's in private rooms with bath often there is the usual small soap, shampoo and shower gel i use whatever there is.
I have washed my clothes at some time with each type.
I am a scruffy old s*d walking everyday; if i were going to the Oscars i might buy a bar of soap :)

Lots of good ideas. Thank you - I learnt some new stuff.
I’m not sure there is one product that will do everything effectively but might do everything well enough.
Ultimately I use whatever comes to hand but generally I will have some sort of soap bar for body and clothes and small container of shampoo for hair.
Last Camino I used those tiny soap leaves till I ran out - long Camino - they worked well.
These days you can access washing machines more often so it’s not as critical as in the past.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Sensitive skin here. Even Dr Bronners bar soap for babies irritated me. Also I hate washing my hair with a bar. It doesn't lather well in hands and rubbing it on my hair tends to break my hair. I've never liked them. My favorite travel "soap" is Aveeno unscented baby wash. It is super gentle, works great as a shampoo and is a fantastic face wash, even removing eye makeup. I never travel without it now. It's perfect. I'm sure any other baby wash that is unscented would be just as good. So that's a 3-in-one product for me. And I bring laundry detergent sheets. They weigh nothing and don't leak or need to go in my liquids bag on the plane. I've trued Tru-Earth and now am trying Hey Sunday (an article I read said it works even better.)

The previous sentence I wrote that I use Aleppo soap, I have to add that this is only for washing my clothes. I never use soap for my body except for my hands.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find all types of bars get sticky
Traditional Savon de Marseilles does not.

This year, I'm departing with one block of a Lavender one for the shower, and a standard dark green olive oil one for the clothes etc.

I bought laundry sheets on Uk Amazon - 25 sheets, 100g, flat packet for the backpack. Works for basins and laundry tubs or machines. Most machines self dispense detergent

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess it depends on your hair and skin type. But I would suggest testing at home before the Camino, to know what works best for you.

For me, the hair is the sensitive spot so I tried several solid shampoos until I got one that worked. The same shampoo worked well enough for the body

For the clothes, definitely the @trecile method! worked wonderfully, easy to do while having the shower, and the mini soap sheets are great and super light

Dr. Bronners soap does a marvelous job, leaving very little to no residue, and my clothes feel pretty darn clean afterwards. I like the lemon scented one for laundry, and the lavender one for shower time.🪻🍋
Completely agree with Dr. Bronners.
I just bring a small container of peppermint for everything. But do love both the lemon and lavender.
Note the peppermint is a bit strong if you are sensitive to aromas.
However like it states on the bottle. Dilute! Just a few drops works each time.
I have gotten so used to it and satisfied with it that I bring it on my regular travels too. Not just the Caminos, but on the Komano Kodo, and other trips, camping and adventures.

What is the best all in one detergent that washes body, hair and clothes?
I throw the dirty clothes into the shower and stomp on them as I wash my body with soap and shampoo. I usually put a little extra shampoo on the clothes and then squeeze them a bit. This is followed by rinsing them under the shower head sever times and wringing the soap out.

The goal isn't to get them laundry clean, just clean enough so that the major dirt comes off and they don't start to stink.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I throw the dirty clothes into the shower and stomp on them as I wash my body with soap and shampoo. I usually put a little extra shampoo on the clothes and then squeeze them a bit. This is followed by rinsing them under the shower head sever times and wringing the soap out.

The goal isn't to get them laundry clean, just clean enough so that the major dirt comes off and they don't start to stink.
The drawback to that CA is that if you are doing it in an albergue you are using the normally limited hot water.

I'm from the UK and use Dr. Beckmann travel wash. Comes in toothpaste sized tubes and emerges a gloopy colourless liquid. No fragrance as far as I can tell. Works fine in cold water too. Does the job but always open to trying other products. The big question for me is how long to wash the clothes in the "tub" for? A couple of minutes worth or longer? Maybe leave it soak for 10 mins - I don't know.... 🤷‍♂️

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The big question for me is how long to wash the clothes in the "tub" for? A couple of minutes worth or longer? Maybe leave it soak for 10 mins
The way that I do it in a dry bag gives the clothes quite a long time soaking. At least ten minutes because they are soaking while I shower, dress, and carry the bag full of wet clothes to the laundry sink to rinse. I think that the long soaking time is the secret to success of my method.

I started with a shampoo bar, but the plastic soap holder I got was water-tight and before long I had a plastic box of soapy goo. It went in the trash when I bought a small bottle of liquid shampoo and used it for everything.

I mostly sloshed things in the sink for a couple of minutes. Then rinsed for a similar time, double rinse usually. Wring or stomp inside my just-used towel, and hang. I don't claim this got my stuff sparkling clean, but it always passed the sniff test. On my walk last year on the Chemin du Puy, one place had a laundry spinner. I wish all gites had them.

I started with a shampoo bar, but the plastic soap holder I got was water-tight and before long I had a plastic box of soapy goo.
I made a net bag for my shampoo bar, so that I can hang it up with my laundry. Before storing it in a plastic baggie I wrap it in a small piece of microfiber cloth. It doesn't get gooey that way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The drawback to that CA is that if you are doing it in an albergue you are using the normally limited hot water.
It's using water that otherwise would have gone down the drain in the shower. I'd be interested in hearing what the alternatives are.

Did you read my post #2?
IMO definitely a better alternative.
No I didn't read or look for another comment from you. Perhaps you could spare me the time to look for it. At any rate, using water that would have otherwise gone down the drain is a highly efficient way to keep you clothes clean. I will continue to use this practice. Thank you for your interest.

Perhaps you could spare me the time to look for it.
Here you go

I use the same washing method whether I'm in an albergue or a room with a private bath.

Here's my method:

I use a ultralight 12 liter Osprey dry bag (weighs 1.2 oz/34 gm) as my portable washing machine.

I put my clothes in it as I'm getting into the shower with water from the shower as it's warming up. Then I add half of a laundry detergent sheet (some brands are Breezeo and Tru Earth)
Then I seal it up and give it a few shakes. I set it aside for everything to soak while I shower and dress.
Then I shake it a bit more to agitate the clothes in the bag before dumping it out in the laundry sink and rinsing. If I'm in a private room with my own bathroom I use the tub or shower. The detergent sheets don't make a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean and it's easy to rinse out.

It's a good idea to rinse out your socks before putting them in the bag as they can be really dirty.

After wringing the clothes out as best I can I wrap them in my towel and twist it to get out more water before hanging them to dry.

Because of the long soaking time method gets my clothes cleaner with less effort than when I used just the laundry sinks or tubs.

No I didn't read or look for another comment from you. Perhaps you could spare me the time to look for it. At any rate, using water that would have otherwise gone down the drain is a highly efficient way to keep you clothes clean. I will continue to use this practice. Thank you for your interest.
This to someone who responded to your:
I'd be interested in hearing what the alternatives are.
I guess you weren't so interested.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.