• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A week of wine and a week of walking

Arnica

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (October 2018)
Hi, fellow Pilgrims. My name is Arnica.

I’ll be starting my first week hiking the Camino Francés from Logroño the second week of October, after spending a week learning about Rioja Wine. As a wine educator, I’m very lucky to be hosted by the Rioja control board for a week, learning more about the people and wines that make this viticultural region one of the most significant in the world.

After wining and dining, I’m walking it all off for a week on the Camino. You’ll see me taking it slow and steady out there on the trail. If you’d like to have a leisurely meal with a glass of wine, I’d be delighted.

Is anyone else going through that little section the second week of October?

Cheers,
Arnica from Canada
504E19EA-402D-4829-9837-355C73FFA0D8.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Enjoy your week off learning about the Rioja wines
And I wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino ,Peter .

Wow Arnica, you're living my dream. Just finished my WSET level 2, about to do level 3 with what you're doing very much in mind. Actually seeing where and how wine is produced is such a great way to learn (and in turn teach).

Wishing you a very Buen Camino,

Rob.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Probably continue to the "El Bierzo"-area (between Astorga and Ponferrada) thus salking a nice part of the camino and having the opportunity to taste another very good red wine (vino tinto). In my opinion the Bierzo-wines are even better than the Riojas.

BC Alexandra

Walk the camino first week and then vino learning or it could be a short walk

Wow Arnica, you're living my dream. Just finished my WSET level 2, about to do level 3 with what you're doing very much in mind. Actually seeing where and how wine is produced is such a great way to learn (and in turn teach).

Wishing you a very Buen Camino,

Rob.
Cool, Rob. I have my WSET 3 and hope to start my diploma in the fall. My eventual goal is to become a Master of Wine, but that’s a few years out! Do you work in the industry?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Probably continue to the "El Bierzo"-area (between Astorga and Ponferrada) thus salking a nice part of the camino and having the opportunity to taste another very good red wine (vino tinto). In my opinion the Bierzo-wines are even better than the Riojas.

BC Alexandra
That’s a great suggestion for another trip!

That’s a great suggestion for another trip!
Where I live, we can buy this one:

IMG_0765.JPG

It is a Bierzo from Bodegas Godelia in Cacabelos, the town on Camino Frances before Villafranca del Bierzo (!) It is a fantastic wine at a good price (ca. 12 Euros here, but everything is expensive in Norway...)

Cool, Rob. I have my WSET 3 and hope to start my diploma in the fall. My eventual goal is to become a Master of Wine, but that’s a few years out! Do you work in the industry?

Not yet, my background is as an entertainment buyer but I lived for a couple of years in the winelands of Constantia back in the early 2000s and visited many of the wine producers in the Western Cape. Now I'm hoping to combine my commercial skills with my passion for wine. Obviously wine buyer is a job that a lot of people would like so I'm under no illusion it will be quite some time before there's any prospect of going on overseas buying trips but we all have to have a dream. I'm a member of wine club where we take turns giving talks with tastings about wine from different regions that interest us, naturally I chose the regions along the Camino as my most recent subject matter. While I love really like the big reds of the north east it's the Albarino of Galicia that really makes me happy after a long day of trekking.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Arnica,
I'd love to have an idea of your contacts to learn about the wine. I'm very familiar with France wines and the different areas but know nothing about the Spanish wines. I've been getting to know and taste them and they are another love. Where in Canada. I'll be Toronto area end of month and beginning of October.
Buen camino - I'll be traveling from Castro urdiales to Laredo in couple of weeks.
Orford Girl

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.