• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A woman of a certain age...

Gigi

I'm thinking of walking the Camino for my 60th birthday in 2007. In the meantime I'm learning all I can and working on getting into shape. I am an American woman with all the modesty/safety/neurotic hangups that come with that! :lol:

I have so many questions and I am really happy to have found this forum. Most of all I would really love to hear the experiences of older women who have made the pilgrimage and from women who have traveled alone.

Thanks to Ivar for creating this place for us to exchange experiences, questions, and ideas.

Gigi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wasn't quite alone, I walked with my donkey, but I don't think you need worry. Anyway, if you walk the camino frances, you won't be alone at any time..... :) Just be sensible about any of the wilder stretches if the weather is bad, try to join up with a group for those bits.

What inspired you to take along a donkey? Did you ride it? Did having the animal complicate life for you? (Feeding him, etc.) How did you obtain your donkey? What did you do with it when you left? I think I'll have a hard enough time taking care of just me: I admire you for taking on responsibility for an animal as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't like walking with a pack, I bought her (Dalie) from a friend and she lives in the village in her field with another donkey and five sheep for company :) I didn't ride her, she carried my bags and eats mostly grass, with a grain (any grain) supplement each evening. Pretty hardy people, donkeys, and eat most things without problems. Good company, especially on the less frequented routes. She came back in a horse trailer, a two day journey, and we stayed at Rabanal on the way back.

Hi Gigi
I am a 67 year old woman who walked the Camino last year not alone but having done it would now not hesitate to do it alone. I did in fact meet a couple of momen of simmilar age walking alone (includine one from USA). Albegues take a little getting used to to start with but all your hang ups are soon overcome :) When you feel you need a bit of a break you can have the odd night in a hotel. Go for it you will love it - one of the best experiences of my life

thanks!

Glad to hear from you "Hitchen." What was the inspiration for your pilgrimage? Have you done this sort of thing before?

I find that getting myself ready is leading to good habits: mostly more exercise. It's got to be good for old bones, don't you think?

I must say the whole "bathroom thing" is my biggest concern. I've spent enough time in Spain to know there are no public toilets there, and the idea of unisex showers is unnerving!

Gigi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Woman of a Certain Age

Hi Gigi
You asked about our motivation and previous experience
We live in new Zealand. Beacause of the nature of my husbands job he has gone to a conference in Europe around late Aug for quite a few years we have taken that as an oportunity to also have a holiday. These have been walking holidays but we have had these organised for us our baggage carried from hotel to hotel and they have generally been about 8 days. During one of these holdays in France I noticed carved scallop shells around churches and got interested in their significance and then read lots about the pilgrimage to Santiago. This fascinated me and mde me determined to do it.

What then happened was firstly my husband more or less retired so we had more time and I found a company (Sherpa) that would carry our bags arrange accom (hotel) etc and we walked the first part Le Puy to Conques. It was great but I really wanted to be a "real" pilgrim. In Conques sat down with a lovely English guy who we had walked on and off with and talked through th possibility.
* I was sure I wouldnt be able to carry a pack- too old slightly dicky hips etc. All a load of rubbish the answer is a really well fitting pack and only the very bare minimum of gear mine was only about 7kg and I had everything I needed and it all became very important to me.
* haw would we find our way and not get lost? The track is amazingly well marked and we carried only Alison Mau's Cirone Press guide books (there is one for the French section and one for the Spanish section
*What about accom? Going in early Sept this is not a problem just get to where you want to and find a gite or in Spain an Albergue. Also carried Mimi Dodo an excellent little book which is up to date and lists all accom, eating places ets. In France you can book ahead but not Spain.
* how would I cope with communal living in Refuges. No problem once you take the plunge as I found everyone in general respects your privacy as they want theirs respected too. There are however a lot of snorers in this world :lol:
*Would I be fit enough? Probably not at first but the answer is short days to start with then gradually build up till 30+ km days are no problem and you are slim, fit and tanned.
*What about reading material? That is a problem as books to heavy to carry and Eng language reading material impossibe to get
*Would I have been lonely by myself? I dont think so as you meet lots of people whose goals and aspirations although not the same as yours are often similar they are interesting and from all corners of the world. Now I wouldnt hesitate to go by myself

Am not a highly religious person but you cannot help but be moved by the spiritual aspect of the pilgrimage - I feel it is in someways at times akin to meditation. It gives you space to evaluate your life and what you want to do with it. You are freed from possesions and temp from worries. Amazingly you feel connected to all th thousands who have done this before you and hearted by the goodness in most people

Now we of course want to walk more ancient pilgrm routes and hope this year to walk the Arles route

Have a great camino

Gigi I see I failed to answer questions about toilets and showers.

There are generally reasonable showers in refuges. They are in cubicles so if they do in fact happen to be unisex your glorious nakedness is not exposed :) Apart from in Galicia I found them clean

Toilets on the camino in bars ( and there are bars in every tiny village) but when you are between villages you have to fine a discrete bush or ditch :( which proved possible even on the Meseta

Thank you so much for your interesting reply. I am intrigued by all the interesting people I see talking about the Camino, and you are certainly among them. Thank you too for the "plumbing" answers.

There are several interesting "women of a certain age" on this list -- isn't that great? Exciting new role models for me!

I'm hoping to be able to talk with you more in the coming months.

Gigi

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gigi I forgot to say there are a growing number of private albergues on the Camino. We found the facilities in these a bit better than the municiple ones (though there is nothing wrong with these) also a bit less crowded - about 2 euros more a night but well worth it and we used these when they were available

I did the last section of the Camino from Sarria to Santiago in the first week of October 2005, joining my elder son who had started at SJL.

I enjoyed it so much that I am returning to do the complete trip in October 2006. Having been a soldier for many years, I was in two minds about "enjoying" a daily trek of 25/30kms, but I have to admit, it was fantastic.

The walking was not a problem at the age of 56, but the real joy was the people you met along the way.

What was surprising was the number of "single" ladies of an uncertain age who were up for a challenge, and who showed considerable guts in doing something they had not done before, in a foriegn land, far from home.

Nobody need be alone on the Camino if they want company on the walk, and anyone in trouble finds they have a lot of friends to lend a hand.

Nobody cares less who you are, what you are or how much money and status you might have, every morning you strap on your boots and yomp like everyone else. The Camino is a great leveller.

One day I was joined by a lady from Germany who was very cultured and I suspect wealthy. I asked her when was the last time she had taken her clothes off in a room full of people she did not know!! She laughed and said "But this is the camino!"

Communal living in the Refuges will probably be a bit of a shock for the first night, after that, who cares.

In early October there were mostly older pilgrims ie: over 35 and it was not crowded.

My own advice is to travel as light as you can. Forget Satnav, guide books, vast amounts of toiletries, endless changes of clothing. You need good base layer garments with a high wick factor. If you are doing the walk in summer consider not taking a sleeping bag and just take a single duvet cover to sleep in and wear one set of your base layer garments. Take the best lightweight walking boots you can afford and invest in good high wick socks.

Buy a large box of Compeed. Best thing invented for blisters. You can buy them in ever increasing sizes along the route!!

Most importantly, have fun, don't worry and if in doubt, ask. Your only problem will be in sifting through the 20 sets of comflicting advice!!!!!

Covey
Winchester - UK

Another great reply! Thanks. I'm not planning to go until 2007, so for now I'm collecting information and walking more and more, but I am excited and looking forward to the Camino.

It's encouraging to hear that you met a number of "older" women walking alone.

Gigi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.