• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About VDLP route

JanetChen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de la Plata
Could you please provide information about which sections of the Silver Way (VDLP) are entirely paved?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Could you please provide information about which sections of the Silver Way (VDLP) are entirely paved?

That's very hard to judge. There is no VdlP guidebook to my knowledge that shows, as Brierley does, the type of walking surface.

I can't cope with much road walking as my feet / tendons can't take it.
The VdlP was no problem for me.

I walked Seville to Astorga, so can't comment on the Sanabres alternative.

But as a very rough indication.

1. Walking surfaces are generally excellent on the VdlP. Fine gravel and packed earth tracks etc.
  2. I don't recall any day that was all road/paved. It's a delight!
  3. When there are paved sections, it is generally for 4-5 kms max.
  4. There is one 16 km road section after Castilblanco de los Arroyos. Many people taxi that section (I did)
  5. There is an 11 km road section just before Banos, but there is a path alternative. (via verde)
I could go through the whole route, but hopefully that gives you an idea.

You can see a day by day blog with video here. You'll get a good idea of the various surfaces.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, walking on asphalt roads for a long time can be hard on the feet. Thanks for sharing. It seems like a good idea to take a taxi to avoid the 16-kilometer road section after Castilblanco de los Arroyos. Is there a safe taxi service with dedicated phone lines in Spain? How do you call a taxi there?

By the way, I saw you sharing on YouTube about using long tubes to check in trekking poles and other items. Do you discard these boxes after checking them in and buy new ones for the return journey, or do you carry them with you throughout the trip?

I’m planning to walk from Salamanca via the Sanabrés next April and have been wondering the same thing. The Buen Camino app does show the proportion of each stage that is asphalt. At the moment the Sanabrian Way route is only in Spanish but is currently in translation ( it’s a free app that relies on donations so it’s worth considering a donation). From my initial quick look it seems that the asphalt increases as you walk into Galicia ( especially as roadworks are causing some diversions). Is there anyone out there who has walked recently ?

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back