• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation June 2024; need to pre-book?

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of June 2024 so no holidays to avoid and hopefully not quite peak season but could still be busy. I have booked a Pensión for Irún. We don't mind staying in municipal albergues but just worried about getting caught out.

Is it worth pre-booking a room in San Sebastián or would we likely be able to get into the municipal albergues?
Likewise, what about the main stages beyond that? Would you recommend booking in advance?
Would also love to stay in a monastery if that were possible. Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whether or not to prebook depends a bit on the route. The Camino del Norte goes through many popular tourist areas, and their is a serious lack of pilgrim infrastructure, especially on the early stages. I would definitely prebook San Sebastián - there is no municipal albergue there.

There are a few monasteries, including Albergue de peregrinos del Monasterio de Zenarruza.

My wife and I hiked the Camino del Norte last year, starting May 15th from Irun. We pre-booked the whole way in local pensions. We were so happy we did. We didn't have to worry about racing to find a spot in an albergue. The first day we ran into a fellow Pilgrim who had hiked in from France, and she couldn't get into the local albergue. She ended up hiking with us for a few days and staying in pensions. Based on what I've read and heard, the Camino del Norte will be at least as crowded this year as last, and you are leaving later than we did. I'd be wary of not pre-booking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
P.S. We'd be happy to share our itinerary with you if it would help (and thoughts on the stages and places to stay). We are both "mature" hikers (over 60) if that is relevant. Just PM me.

My wife and I hiked the Camino del Norte last year, starting May 15th from Irun. We pre-booked the whole way in local pensions. We were so happy we did. We didn't have to worry about racing to find a spot in an albergue. The first day we ran into a fellow Pilgrim who had hiked in from France, and she couldn't get into the local albergue. She ended up hiking with us for a few days and staying in pensions. Based on what I've read and heard, the Camino del Norte will be at least as crowded this year as last, and you are leaving later than we did. I'd be wary of not pre-booking.
Do you have list of pensions you could share? I’m walking with my husband end of September. Thank you!

Nancy,

I'm happy to share our itinerary, I just have to figure out how to personal message you. Hmmm ...

Pete

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you. Did you hear of many people being stranded?

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back