• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on the Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear Forum memebers,

I will be walking the Camino de la Lana from Valencia starting next week on the 28th April and plan to arrive at Burgos around the 18th May to continue on the Camino Frances to Santiago de Compostela.

I am not very sure about the accomodation on the Frances in May. I suppose there will be many pilgrims on that route and possible shortage of accomodation.

Should I book ahead? I normally book two days ahead as I do not want to book to much ahead.

I appreciate any advise about this point.

Thank you and buen Camino,

Raymond Aquilina

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was on the CF in October last year when it was very busy. I booked 2 days ahead and had no problems at all. The one place I might consider booking further ahead is Mansilla de las Mulas. The municipal is closed so there is more pressure on beds. I stayed in Albergue Gaia there and happily recommend it. I doubt I'd booked more than 2 days ahead though as I didn't know there was a bed shortage before I arrived there!
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Forum memebers,

I will be walking the Camino de la Lana from Valencia starting next week on the 28th April and plan to arrive at Burgos around the 18th May to continue on the Camino Frances to Santiago de Compostela.

I am not very sure about the accomodation on the Frances in May. I suppose there will be many pilgrims on that route and possible shortage of accomodation.

Should I book ahead? I normally book two days ahead as I do not want to book to much ahead.

I appreciate any advise about this point.

Thank you and buen Camino,

Raymond Aquilina
If you are flexible with the type of accommodation you’re looking for, and your daily distance +/- 5km you should be fine. You’ll be between the two historic peak periods. If you only look for ‘bookable’ places and stay at the guidebook-indicated stages you’ll be limiting your options.

A good number of the reports of shortages come from those who want everything booked in advance or turn up at Easter and ask why there are lots of Peregrinos. The majority who have no issues don’t tend to post to say just that.

I walked last september ( a busy period) and booked my first and second night only. St jean and roncesvalles. The only other day I noticed a shortage of beds was Hornillos ( stage after Burgos ) the rest of my camino was no problem all the way to Fisterra and Muxia

Check your dates for any public holidays ... and book accordingly

I walked last september ( a busy period) and booked my first and second night only. St jean and roncesvalles. The only other day I noticed a shortage of beds was Hornillos ( stage after Burgos ) the rest of my camino was no problem all the way to Fisterra and Muxia

Check your dates for any public holidays ... and book accordingly
Hi Markie6,
Thank you for your feedback ..I assume that May will be fine ...normally I do not book but recently heard that there was shortage of beds on the Frances.

Kind regards,
ray

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are flexible with the type of accommodation you’re looking for, and your daily distance +/- 5km you should be fine. You’ll be between the two historic peak periods. If you only look for ‘bookable’ places and stay at the guidebook-indicated stages you’ll be limiting your options.

A good number of the reports of shortages come from those who want everything booked in advance or turn up at Easter and ask why there are lots of Peregrinos. The majority who have no issues don’t tend to post to say just that.
Dear henrythedog,

Thank you for your reply. Your feedback encourages me not to book. I normally book in large cities but for the rest I prefer to be flexible.

Kind regards,
ray

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back