• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations between Le Puy and Conques

ElzbietaMaria

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPDP to Burgos May 2017, Camino from le Puy October 2017
can somebody recommend places to stay between Le Puy and Conques please?
Many thanks in advance,
Elzbieta

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Elzbieta, much depends on your budget!

I mainly stayed in 2 star hotels on this route (I'm getting a bit old for dormitories) and would be happy to recommend some (and advise avoiding others.) No alternative at Le Sauvage, though.

Thank you Glenshiro for your info.
My budget is tight and I don't mind staying in dormitories yet. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Highly recommend La Grange, at Monbonnet, lovely clean accommodation, and great food. Also and especially Domaine de Sauvages, a well run, well thought out special place that supports local farmers.

can somebody recommend places to stay between Le Puy and Conques please?
Many thanks in advance,
Elzbieta

in Le Puy I highly recommend gite st Jacques run by the volunteers of the local organisation. lovely old house, beds separated by partitions and with curtains, a kitchen and a small patio. it's right under the cathedral, too.

in Saint Privat d'Allier I stayed in gite Kompost'l which was ok but nothing special. it's a bar that rents bunkbeds at the back of the house, there is a kitchen and a small terrace with railing to dry off clothes. only one shower and toilet for 8 people, I think.

in Saugues I stayed in Centre La Margeride where I was in a double room with another female pilgrim with private shower and toilet. kitchen in the basement. very nice. I was told that gite communal is not so nice and you can only reserve via a credit card, even if you call only a day in advance.

the commanderie Le Sauvage in the middle of vast fields was ok, a beautiful building in a beautiful setting, even in the rain. dorms with beds only and a kitchen. they have a lovely restaurant where it's also possible to buy some local products (yoghurt, cheeses, sausages) but for proper cooking you need to stock in Saugues.

from there it was a fairly long day to Aumont-Aubrac with one or two very steep climbs. I stayed in gite Le Calypso which is one dorm with beds under beams in the attic of Hotel Aubrac. it has a kitchen, but as it was sunday and I missed the open shop I ate a huge salad from the hotel restaurant. they were really nice, I could take it to the gite to enjoy dinner with the other pilgrims there.

then it was the magnificent day across Aubrac plateau. loved it. in Nasbinals I chose gite Le Sorbier with small rooms with two to four beds, a kitchen and a small balcony to enjoy dinner in the sun. the nice lady also runs a bar across the road.

another beautiful day from Nasbinals where I detoured to GR 6a after Aubrac. in Saint Chély d'Aubrac I slept in gite communal which is in an old prison and has friendly tourist office downstairs. I don't remember if there were beds only or bunkbeds, but dorms were not too big and there is a kitchen. no outdoor space. a local lady has a very detailed guided tour around the village in the afternoon.

Saint Côme d'Olt is absolutely amazing, one of my favourite villages. I highly recommend gite Roumiou in the medieval centre in an old house that had many functions during its history. lovely owners, small dorms with bunkbends (the highest with a view of the church) and a kitchen. it pays to call in advance as sometimes the owners take a day-off if there are no reservations.

in Estaing I stayed in Hospitalité st Jacques in an old house in the centre of the town, with small dorms with bunkbeds, a fine garden, and communal dinner. they also guard four beds which cannot be reserved for those who prefer travelling so. recommended.

from Estaing I walked to Le Soulié where I stayed in acceuil Le Soulié at the start of the village, they have dorms and rooms, I was given a single room where I shared the bathroom with a double room. quite a luxury. dinner is communal and there is a beautiful garden. recommended,

in Conques I highly recommend acceuil d'Abbaye ste Foy which is a big stone building behind the cathedral. there are dorms and rooms, I was lucky to stay in a triple room with the view of the cathedral's absides. it has a lovely patio and they made a very good dinner (also for veggies!). they have many beds but are very popular so I recommend calling as soon as possible. they do have 10 beds that cannot be reserved in advance. gite communal in Conques is not recommended as it is poorly kept and has often bedbug problems.

I wish you a fabulous walk, it is a beautiful route!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Highly recommend La Grange, at Monbonnet, lovely clean accommodation, and great food. Also and especially Domaine de Sauvages, a well run, well thought out special place that supports local farmers.
I second both of these. Montbonnet was delightful. New, beautiful, delicious food. Le Sauvage -- loved the ambiance and the fact that they support local farmers.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back