• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ACL Surgery Two years ago... Brace or no Brace?

Chefaj

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
Hey all!
I have a question in regards to pilgrims with prior injuries and surgeries, two years ago I tore my ACL and had full reconstructive surgery using a patella tendon graft. Fast forward two years and my knee feels great and the muscles in my legs are stronger than ever, I currently live in Paris and walk alot already and walk up 7 flights of stairs two or three times daily. I know that does not compare to the Camino but as I settle on what I am going to take my brace for some reason is on the should I take it list....it already weighs in a pound or so and I have not worn it in quite a while and when I used to it chaffed the heck out of my leg.... so I just looking for some advice and some stories that can be shared so I can decide what I should do....in the end it will be my decision just looking for some feedback.... it is a fear that is still holding on to my packing list.... thanks all

Aj

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While I would prefer you talked to your doctor, I'd suggest you ask him/her if an elastic-type bandage would be sufficient.

Taking a brace that chafs is like taking boots that you know give you blisters. Why would someone do that?

On the other hand, having the brace in yor pack means you can wear it if necessary.
I would take it, and hope I don't need it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just one of those fears that I think I will leave out of my pack but take an ace bandage for myself or anyone else that might need it :)

I have no ACL in one knee. I wear a brace to ski, but would not wear one hiking the Camino. You should be able to figure out what is best for you in your preparatory hikes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Chefaj,

You and your wife must be VERY excited as you plan and train for your September camino!

Be sure to check out this Forum topic on medical issues to see how other pilgrims with knee and/or leg problems may have coped. >> medical-issues-on-the-pilgrimage/

Since you are a chef and indubitably enjoy food two other Forum threads of special interest might be >> food-on-the-camino-de-santiago/ and >> el-camino-frances/topic18531.html. By the way if you are planning to cook many of the Xunta albergues in Galicia have newly renovated kitchens with good appliances but NO utensils. Be prepared!

Buen Camino to both of you,

Margaret Meredith

Recently we hosted two pilgrim friends, one in May and one in June. They each had developed knee problems while walking the Camino, and in both occasions another pilgrim on the trail had given them a knee brace from his/her own pack. So you could bring your brace just in case you needed it, and if you didn't need it you could always pass it on to a pilgrim who was hurting. :) But, if it really weighs a pound and it chafes like the dickens, chances are you might not want to lug it around or wear it, eh?

The good news is that there are farmacias (pharmacies) all over Spain and if your knee really starts acting up again you can go into a farmacia and they'll take care of you and hopefully give you a brace that can fit you well. Prices are very reasonable here for OTC drugs and supplies.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

I completely severed my ACL skiing (can you say "pop!"?!) and had allograft replacement. I have not used my brace since 6 months post-op. I walked from St.JPP. Your ACL should now be the strongest ligament in your body. Leave the brace at home and buy yourself some walking sticks as they'll help your knee(s) more than any brace will, by alleviating some of the pressure on them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You sound pretty fit - but you aren't doing it carrying a pack all day, nor on the rough surface of the Camino where your knee goes off in all directions!

I always take mine but I don't wear it unless I need to - very nice to have it with me.

I find that talcum powder works well - as does keeping it, and your skin, really clean - the sweat and warmth when wearing it are a prefect breeding ground for germs and that always leads to a rash (it is why some cyclists get that inner groin rash, because they don't clean that area well enough) - so clean it every evening.

Buen Camino :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back