• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on gaiters please

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
Hello everybody,
I have never owned gaiters so I have no idea what to look for.... I would like to carry on walking this winter (in England) to keep some level of fitness between caminos. Do any of you have a favourite brand? I am a bit of a fair weather pilgrim so the idea of getting drenched in deep mud and puddles usually puts me off (shameful look). Presumably gaiters would keep me dry(er)?
Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everybody,
I have never owned gaiters so I have no idea what to look for.... I would like to carry on walking this winter (in England) to keep some level of fitness between caminos. Do any of you have a favourite brand? I am a bit of a fair weather pilgrim so the idea of getting drenched in deep mud and puddles usually puts me off (shameful look). Presumably gaiters would keep me dry(er)?
Thanks.

The purpose of gaiters is to keep crud out of your boots. They will help keep snow and rain off your boot surfaces so the boots stay drier longer however they won't protect against a soaker if you step in a puddle deeper than the boot cuffs.

I've seen them made of cloth and just high enough to go over the ankles and intended only to keep pebbles out ... scree cuffs.

They are also made as snow gaiters made of tough water proof nylon that sometimes cover the toe caps of the boots and go up to the knee. They have buckles that go under the boot and are intended to hold them down when snow pushes them up.

I have a pair of snow gaiters that don't cover the toes. I bought them from MEC who sells them under their brand. I wore them on the camino with my hiking shorts as I do on all my hiking trips. I like wearing them with shorts because mosquitoes (which were not present on the camino) seem to like biting my calves. As gaiters they were overkill ... the muck never got much deeper than the width of the soles on my boots. I walked from end October to mid December and did not encounter deep mud and deep puddles ... (though it started raining hard when I got to Fisterra so maybe I got lucky)

I would suggest that gaiters are not needed on the camino unless you intend to walk in snow. Scree cuffs might be a good idea if you plan to wear shorts, otherwise long pant legs are usually enough to keep pebbles out of your shoes.

If you're worried about wet feet get goretex socks or wear plastic bags over your socks on those rare wet days.

I would be careful about buying specialized walking gear if you have no use for it off the camino. Lots of people walk the camino with t shirt, blue jeans, and running shoes ... its not a technical route by any measure.

I would suggest that gaiters are not needed on the camino unless you intend to walk in snow. Scree cuffs might be a good idea if you plan to wear shorts, otherwise long pant legs are usually enough to keep pebbles out of your shoes.

If you're worried about wet feet get goretex socks or wear plastic bags over your socks on those rare wet days.

I would be careful about buying specialized walking gear if you have no use for it off the camino. Lots of people walk the camino with t shirt, blue jeans, and running shoes ... its not a technical route by any measure.

I think the OP wanted them for walks in England in the winter, not the Camino. ;)

Domigee, I don't have gaiters so I can't comment other than to say good on you for keeping up with the walking. Also, here is a decent "how to" on gaiters: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/gaiters.html

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I you want to really stay dry in an English winter, check out these:

https://www.overshoesneos.com/

I use the hip high model to stand in rivers fishing. They have tops like gaiters but go completely over the shoe.

Domigee, I you don't want to spend too much on gaiters keep an eye on Aldi, they do lightweight gaiters from time to time, many of the branded gaiters can be a bit heavy, these are made from light ripstop nylon and do the job just fine.

Wow thank you so much for your responses, all incredibly clear and helpful. What a wonderful place this is!
I will be keeping an eye on Aldi, Wayfarer! Thank you. Newfydog, those overshoes look awsome!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everybody,
Thanks.

Hello domigee,
Yes, gaiters can help you stay dryer.
This might help you make a decision. The makers are the ones I have used for many years. Never been disappointed:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001YQGRG0/?tag=casaivar-21

Buen(dry feet and mud-free trouser leg) Camino training

Newfydog, those overshoes look awsome!

I should add, those overshoes give you an option of dry feet with a light pair of breathable shoes. My sister has absurdly wide feet, and she can eventually stretch out a pair of running shoes to fit. A hiking boot will just wreck her feet. She walks in the runners, and pulls on the overshoes in the rain and mud.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once in a distant history I was an alpinist and I did use gaiters of course. But for their use on (it's kind of wild guess of mine) either one of Caminos in Spain, even during winter-time, @whariwharangi reply is most adequate to all of your questions I think.

Ultreia!

But for their use on either one of Caminos in Spain, even during winter-time, @whariwharangi reply is most adequate to all of your questions I think.

As MichealSG pointed out, the original question was not about any of the Caminos in Spain, but rather England in the winter. (I tend not to actually read entire emails or posts too!)

As MichealSG pointed out, the original question was not about any of the Caminos in Spain, but rather England in the winter. (I tend not to actually read entire emails or posts too!)
I did noticed that @newfydog that's why I used "But..." & "...even..." ;)

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think newfydog was just trying to help us get back on topic. Some people do just read a few recent posts and when someone says "you won't need gaiters on the Camino", it helps answer the original question just as much the guy above who said "I don't have gaiters so I can't comment other than to say good on you for keeping up with the walking."

Peace y'all.

I love gaiters. They weigh very little, and keep boots dry in the irritating drizzles. In steady downpours they are less useful, but keep your socks dry when you are wearing shorts. I prefer the brands that have a strap under the shoe rather than just a piece of cord.

I have carried, and used, gaiters every year of the four I have walked (France, Germany, Czech Republic, Switzerland in May and September). I use the OR just-below-the-knee model. Wouldn't walk without them, because my poncho/rain gear only just comes to my knees, and that means some long wet trouser legs otherwise. For me, it's about the dry trousers, and less about the boots. I use Gore-tex boots, so keeping them dry is less pressing. I've found that wearing gaiters is much more comfortable than rainpants, in the warmer months.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am from the UK and have a pair of gaiters. But despite owning them I have never used them in anger for many years as i found a pair of waster proof over trousers preferable. I guess if you are scrambling in loose rocks or anywhere that has veminous snakes then they could be useful. But in the UK those sort of conditions are rare.

I am a big gaiter fan - wear them all the time when I am out in the field, very useful in snow conditions and when breaking brush --now with that said -- I am not sure if I will take them on my first Camino -- still have a couple of weeks to decide -- sort of on the fence -- I got a couple of sets of gaiters from Military Surplus -- one set very heavy duty, not Camino friendly, and the other set are Norwegian and much lighter -- I think the point of having wet pants legs (if you use a Poncho) from Kitsambler is a really good point. All the best.

Thank you so much for answering, everyone and thank you for your advice. I had lost that thread, somehow, so thank you too Grogan for bringing it back to my attention :oops:
Grogan, presumably you're leaving end of March, which Camino are you doing? I obviously am not the one to give any advice on gaiters but I'm sure someone will :)

PS I have been waiting to find some cheap ones from Lidl, couldn't justify spending more money at the moment... Got drenched, got muddy but hey, at least after a few hours' walk I come back home to all comforts.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you so much for answering, everyone and thank you for your advice. I had lost that thread, somehow, so thank you too Grogan for bringing it back to my attention :oops:
Grogan, presumably you're leaving end of March, which Camino are you doing? I obviously am not the one to give any advice on gaiters but I'm sure someone will :)

PS I have been waiting to find some cheap ones from Lidl, couldn't justify spending more money at the moment... Got drenched, got muddy but hey, at least after a few hours' walk I come back home to all comforts.
domigee,

Yes -- Leaving 29 March 2015 and doing the Camino Francis (can't resist after seeing the movie : ) ) -- I actually got my gaiters from Sportman's Guide online -- it is a hit or miss on availability, but the prices are good -- love the home comforts after being wet, cold, and muddy -- especially the hot bubble bath (of course guys are not suppose to admit that) -- all the best!

Tehe, of course it's OK for guys to admit that! :)
Considering the appalling weather they've had in Spain recently, my 1st thought is 'if you have them, bring them'. The lighter ones of course. But I would wait for better and more informed advice from the others...
In the meantime, all the best for your preparations and ... Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.