• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice wanted on a good endpoint for 21/22 days from Sjpdp

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
Hi,
Starting with previous Camino friends August 23rd from Sjpdp. I have walked before but only can manage time21/223 days this time before flying back to UK and Australia from Madrid on September 18(26 days later). I am trying to work out dates for transport to Madrid, accommodation there etc. Leon in 21 days seems the obvious plan but we tend to walk a bit faster than the average stages, plus tho Leon is a glorious place to finish the walk into Leon is not the best day on the Camino.
Any suggestions for somewhere good slightly farther than Leon to finish? Or maybe day trips from Leon worth considering? I can always spend extra days in glorious Madrid before my flight on the 18th.
Cheers Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with Leon being the obious place, but if you go fast, Astorga ist 2 days down the road and should have train and bus. If you are even faster, Ponferrada would be the next big-ish place, again, around 2 days down the road.
Anything speaking against just walking and seeing how it goes?

How about Astorga? 2-3 days on from Leon, depending how much ground you cover in a day. Lovely town, and there is a train station so you can get back to Madrid.

Also, if you haven’t done so before, I recommend the alternative route out of Leon - via Villar de Mazarife - which rejoins at Hospital de Orbigo 😎

Ps. Post crossed with @Anhalter 😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you average 30k a day, I would say Ponferrada or maybe even O'Cebreiro.

The speed you go along with (no judgement at all ) whether you stop and smell the roses , do or do not carry your gear and the speed your friends go too will all determine where you finish

Best bet is to pick somewhere manageable which has good links home rather risk injury for any concerned.

If you wanted a sense of completion, you could dodge a section and rejoin further down the road which would enable you to arrive in Santiago ( having done more than the min 100k )

Leon is the obvious choice, if it was just you and you are fit enough... I'd have gone all in and attempted the lot ( 22 days last year St J - Santiago) but you do miss the camaraderie , risk injury and perhaps miss being a normal pilgrim rushing to much.

Go with the flow, see where you end up and plan less .. IMHO Leon would be simple enough but there are obvious variables to consider

Good luck with your choice and camino

At least from a previous walk, your know there are the factors you have no control over. The weather can slow you down, injuries can slow you down and transporation labor disruptions can totally f,, with your plans. So I would say wait until you around about a week before you have to go home and then make your plans.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all of the good advice. I appreciate it!

I was so busy organising everything with flights, family, Camino family, first 2 nights accommodation that I kinda forgot the Camino Provides mindset. I'm going to book a couple of nights in Madrid prior to My flight to bham. I'll sort out transport and other accommodation when I am walking.
I think Astorga would be a great finish if it works out. I'm one of those Camino addicts who think that the Camino gives you what you need at the time.
I've walked both options out of Leon, and I will always always go the alternative route from now on.
Buen Camino everyone.

Hi,
Starting with previous Camino friends August 23rd from Sjpdp. I have walked before but only can manage time21/223 days this time before flying back to UK and Australia from Madrid on September 18(26 days later). I am trying to work out dates for transport to Madrid, accommodation there etc. Leon in 21 days seems the obvious plan but we tend to walk a bit faster than the average stages, plus tho Leon is a glorious place to finish the walk into Leon is not the best day on the Camino.
Any suggestions for somewhere good slightly farther than Leon to finish? Or maybe day trips from Leon worth considering? I can always spend extra days in glorious Madrid before my flight on the 18th.
Cheers Paul
Chiming in for Astorga - unless you have not yet indulged in stop overs in Burgos and Leon. The cathedrals and museums are worth the time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just walk enjoy every day and where you stop is really not an important issue.
I have walked so many caminos and in the beginning I had plans and they turned in to a "must reach"
Not good , at least for me. Like someone said before on this forum, "there are factors you have no control over". That is the camino for me today. No planning far ahead . Hope you understand my english :)

Roger

HI again @NomadBoomer If you do happen to go past Leon on the alternative greener path, and feel like a small splurge, I highly recommend this wonderful casa rural, mill house.

I had a wonderful stay there in 2013, and hope to stay again later this year. The delightful owners Maximo and Mercedes were still going strong last year when my brother stayed there.

Here are some reviews from Gronze.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back