• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Afraid to take a chance!

Seamus M

Hi my name is Seamus and Im from Ireland. Im single, 36 years old and in a tight spot just now! At one time in my life I would have gone through a door and worried about what was on the other side when I got there. Now because of some things that happened in my life I over think everything and to be honest my life is like the song "Riding elevators" if anyone knows it. Sounds crazy but I almost do nothing cos Im afraid it might not work out or I might run into trouble - at one time in my life I had a good job caring for people - now life seems to be slipping through my fingers and Im doing nothing about it - no job, not going out that much, no confidence basically - I appreciate this isnt much compared to people with real worries in life such as health etc.. but you know i Feel like I am burying my talents and hiding from the world.

I have been given an offer to go back to train again in my old type of work but to take this up I have to change as it is a tough career. My way of thinking, my outlook on myself, life, and everyone around me needs to change radically and taking a holiday and lying on a beach for a week isnt going to do that. I want to be the best that I can possibly be and I want to change.

So I think my best chance is this camino - God knows why I think that but I do. I can fly to Biarritz this Friday 28th October and start from Saint Jean on Saturday 29th.

1. Im thinking (as usual!!) that im too late. I have read other posts and there does seem to be people on the road in November but wondering will there be enough.

2. Also Im thinking am i Crazy going to spain to walk 500 miles and I cant speak a word of spanish and what will I do in the evenings when its dark.

3. Weather - going to spain just before winter starts - my family think Im a bit crazy.

4. By my reckoning theres a train from bayonne to Saint Jean on Friday 28th at 1811 is that right? I arrive in Biarritz at 1530

In my heart I think i need to be on that plane on Friday - my life is in a bit of a state just now and the change I need wont come from talking bout life to someone - ive done that part and it was important step but now I need to start taking chances and live life - if anyone out there has walked this camino in November and thinks it is ok to go please let me know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Seamus
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry, I have never walked in the winter only in the spring.
I'm sure others will be able to pass on their experiences.
Regarding if or when to go, the Camino is a a very personal thing, not sure anyone could say to you yea or nay.
However, if you don't go now it will still be there in the spring.
I sincerely hope you find a positive answer to your overall situation.
Best wishes
Col

Hi, Seamus

If you have a chance, just take it :) if you feel like you want to do it, then do it :D I usually don't think too much. I visited Eastern Tibet and know nothing about Mandarin or Tibetan language and not so many people can speak English :) but lucky me, the trip was awesome!I met lot of nice people along the way.

You are lucky that you have a chance, money or else to do the Camino :) I'm still saving for that!
I think, don't worry too much if you finally can't walk 500 miles, at least, you try it :)
Good luck for whatever you will do! Buen Camino

Warm regards from Indonesia

Sysilia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seamus M said:
So I think my best chance is this camino - God knows why I think that but I do. I can fly to Biarritz this Friday 28th October and start from Saint Jean on Saturday 29th.

1. Im thinking (as usual!!) that im too late. I have read other posts and there does seem to be people on the road in November but wondering will there be enough.

2. Also Im thinking am i Crazy going to spain to walk 500 miles and I cant speak a word of spanish and what will I do in the evenings when its dark.

3. Weather - going to spain just before winter starts - my family think Im a bit crazy.

4. By my reckoning theres a train from bayonne to Saint Jean on Friday 28th at 1811 is that right? I arrive in Biarritz at 1530

if anyone out there has walked this camino in November and thinks it is ok to go please let me know.

Hola Seamus

Yes - a couple of years ago I started out from St JpdP on 11 November. To answer your specific questions:

1 You aren't too late - there will be other pilgrims around. You may be surprised how many. I made friends before I was over the hill into Roncesvalles

2 Maybe we're all a bit crazy but we are driven by the desire to walk the distance - you seem the same. In the evenings you'll talk to the other pilgrims you meet on the way or in the albergues. They WILL be there. Promise.

3 Weather - In the November I walked I was wearing shorts and sun screen for part of the journey. November is not deepest winter in Spain. In another post just now someone wrote "prepare for rain and hope for sun" - a good motto. It may be lots colder in the evening and early morning. You don't need to pack a lot just things you can wear in two or at most three layers to be very warm.

4 Information on travel to St Jean - you've been doing the research - also have a look at this site http://www.touradour.com/towns/trains.htm There is a lot of other information on this Forum.

Also - forgive the unsolicited advice: Please don't take too much gear. You will need less than you think. Rain gear or a poncho to keep you dry - outer layer. A middle layer like a fleece and an inner layer - avoid cotton as it takes ages to dry. Sleeping bag, 2 or 3 sets of underpants and socks and the minimum of toileteries etc. Too much weight is a very real danger for all of us and may very well cause serious problems.

If you aren't an experienced walker then take your time over the first week or so until your stamina builds. The camino is not a race. Find your own pace and take whatever breaks you feel like. The other pilgrims you meet will be there at the end of the day you don't need to keep up with them.

Above all just get there and take the first steps out from St Jean Pied de Port and your Camino will roll out before you - all will be well. You may be surprised in how many ways.

Buen Camino

Let us know how you get on.

John

hi Seamus,
I have travelled halfway around the world alone to begin walking some of the camino tomorrow.....yes I'm scared...and excited....
Please get on the plane
Jo

Hi,
I have not walked in November but have walked starting at the beginning of March which might be similar weatherwise. I loved it. It was never crowded yet there were always other pilgrims at the albergues. If I wanted to walk alone I did. If I wanted to walk with others, I did. People will say that a lot of the albergues are closed and they told me that before I left too but I always found plenty of albegues that were opened. Also, although there were a few colder days, and a few days with snow at the higher altitudes, the weather , for me, was great. I'd prefer a cool crisp day to a hot day and I found the temperatures very pleasant for walking.
I had a fleece jacket and a wool shirt as well as a very light weight raincoat. I had thin, quick dry trousers but brough silk long underwear and top for extra layer of warmth. I also had a fleece hat for chilly mornings and a thin pair of gloves.
I hope this will be wonderful for you. I think it will. Just go and do it and don't push yourself too much. I am a big worrier. I worry about everything, all time. I worried for months preparing for my camino and after the first day I realized that my worries were unfounded that it would all be okay and that I could do it. I wish you only the best.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a female who's walked the Via de la Plata in November. The weather was perfect, actually -- not too hot, not too cold. I'm not sure about the Camino Frances, but I don't believe it will be that different, as it's still autumn. Just be prepared for rain and maybe mud.

If your heart says to go, GO. You won't regret it.

Good luck!

Melanie

Hi Seamus - what an open and honest man you are - and obviously a much better man than you think you are.

Your personal general fears about life aside for the moment, everyone feels nervous or afraid before going on their first Camino - everyone - so it is ok to feel those fears, all is well. The camino is a personal event outside 'normal' experience so we don't know what to look out for, how to do it, we cannot make predictions because there is insufficient data to get answers. Then, of course, it is a long way - so there are fears about one's ability .. all completely normal!

One of the common feelings is about a week before setting off one starts to think "why am I doing this?" "I must be mad" "This is crazy, I don't want to walk for weeks with strangers" and so on.

Pre-event nerves - absolutely normal behaviour.

As for your own life glitch, well I find that most people who go on Camino by themselves - unless very young or habitual walkers - do so because their life has reached an impasse or great change. Relationship breakup, death of a close one, redundancy, guilt over an error, an awareness that the life one has been living for all those years is pointless and empty, and so on.
A time out, a complete time out can be a wonderful thing, a time for healing and refocussing on what is important. Sure, the Camino isn't easy - but you don't want easy at the moment do you.

Your choice of course, but I say, get on the plane - but be aware that there is just one thought that you have to not listen to, and this is the nagging thought that you can't do it, that you are useless, that you were obviously going to fail. If you hear yourself doing this ignore it or laugh at it, carry on - it is the whole process that is important. Each day - walk on.

Laing once wrote that "the only pain you can't avoid is the pain you feel when you try to avoid pain". This is a truth that you have already realised - so face the fear, get on the plane - all is well.

p.s. You don't have to take a stressful new job, you can live a smaller life that doesn't ruin you where you can help others (as you are obviously designed to do).

Life is process Seamus, challenges and troubles and pains that enable us to become more fully human The cup we drink from is cut and kneaded and shaped and put into a fire before it becomes a beautiful and useful object.

All is well Seamus, all is well. :wink:

p.s. Of fears - you would have to tie me to a plank of wood and fill me with Valium to get me on to a plane! :shock: We all have fears.

hello Seamus
sorry - more unsolicited stuff
about those pesky expectations......
this is the truth - the things you fear will probably not happen
and while youre looking the other way, all kinds of shite might happen
but for sure
do not commence the pilgrimage with pre-determined expectations
you will be disappointed
if you go looking too desparately you will not see the things that appear in front of you
the things you try too hard to loose on the camino will follow you around and all the way back home
so why dont you just pitch up
and take a chance
and see what happens

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Seamus,
Welcome to the Forum. If it is on your heart to do the Camino, do it. I was nearly 30 years older than you when I first set off. I was terrified. I knew a bit of Spanish, but I have been constantly amazed at how those who know none get by. The others have given you all the advice you need

I'll be thinking of you on Friday and praying for you. I know you will be blessed on the Camino, and will be so glad to be doing it. While you are walking please say a prayer that we will elect the right person as president.

May the road rise before you, may the the wind be at your back and the sun on your face, and may God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
Lydia

Hi Seamus

I don't have much to add to the others' contributions, except to say that I agree with them.

I walked April/May this year so can't advise on the weather in November, but I was in a similar situation to you in some respects. I had recently been made redundant and unsure what to do. I happened to see an article in the newspaper about the Camino, which reminded me that I'd had it in my mind for about 20 years and just thought "Yes! If ever there's a time to do it, now is the time". Three weeks later I was walking.

As +@^^ says, be realistic about what to expect from it. For me personally it made me focus on aspects of my life that I'd neglected or not got round to, and what my priorities should be. Those remain up to me to achieve. (You do feel amazing when you arrive in Santiago, though!)

Practicalities: Unless the transport times have changed significantly since April, you will probably have to wait an hour or two at Bayonne station if you get the flight arriving 15.30, but it is a good chance to meet other pilgrims at the airport bus stop and station. You can spot pilgrims a mile off. There are a couple of bars just outside the station where you can eat and drink. It's not long from the airport to station (20-30 minutes, maybe).

Go and enjoy the freedom, beauty, friendliness, openess, humour, aches, pains and achievement that the Camino offers.

Buen Camino.

Keith

Hi there.
well, truth be told my life collapsed into anxiety, depression and socio-phobia.
10 years.
i obsess, worry, think and reflect time without end on detail after detail of so many choices.
I walked the camino and cycled it as well - 3 time but all before these changes.
next year I envisage a return.
these changes are seismic in my world, my life.
I take it down to minutiae - the details of gear, the habit of preparation and training.
For me, my family, these tentative, tiny steps are the size of lunar exploration.
I'll leave it there.
I wish you every strength, all courage and the ability to ignore, circumvent and substitue worries and concerns.
Ce n'est que le premier pas qui coûte
Facilius est incitare currentem, quam commovere languentem

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back