Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in A Pobra do Brollon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wonderful news - I hope it is up and running for my May camino! I was not looking forward to using the Salcedo option.

Related questions, if the albergue is delayed again:
1) Can you taxi between A Pobra and Salcedo, to avoid having to rely on the Salcedo host's ride?
2) Is the muni alb at the Polideportivo still open in the meantime? I have not been able to successfully contact the numbers given in the forum Invierno guide.

Thanks!

1) Can you taxi between A Pobra and Salcedo, to avoid having to rely on the Salcedo host's ride?
2) Is the muni alb at the Polideportivo still open in the meantime?

1) I think the easiest way to get to Salcedo is to take the right turn on the road at Castroncelos, a few kms before A Pobra, and just walk there. That junction is right on the Camino. Salcedo is about 3 1/2 kms off the camino from Castroncelos, but Castroncelos is 2 kms before A Pobra. So walking to Salcedo adds 1.5 km to your day’ walk as compared to if you were walking into A Pobra. The next day you could just take the direct route into A Pobra from Salcedo, which is 5 km. Pobra to Monforte is less than 13, so that still would give you a very low mileage day. I think a lot of the people who have taken rides there didn’t really do the math to realize that it is not much of an added distance to just walk, and much more convenient than waiting for people to come get you.

2) There is no lodging for pilgrims at all in A Robla. The polideportivo has not remained open as a backup, so we are all hoping that the albergue finally comes on line!

1) I think the easiest way to get to Salcedo is to take the right turn on the road at Castroncelos, a few kms before A Pobra, and just walk there. That junction is right on the Camino. Salcedo is about 3 1/2 kms off the camino from Csatroncelos, but Castroncelos is 2 kms before A Pobra. So walking to Salcedo adds 1.5 km to your days walk as compared to if you were walking into A Pobra. The next day you could just take the direct route into A Pobra from Salcedo, which is 5 km. Pobra to Monforte is less than 13, so that still would give you a very low mileage day. I think a lot of the people who have taken rides there didn’t really do the math to realize that it is not much of an added distance to just walk, and much more convenient than waiting for people to come get you.

Thank you! This is really helpful and puts those 2 days in perspective. I am a math professor, so I should have done the math!

What is the terrain/elevation change info on both the walk to Salcedo and the direct 5km walk back to A Pobra? Like a basic uphill/downhill/steep? Also, is the direct walk back well marked, or is it just follow the carreterra on Google maps?

(Of course, I hope this will all be moot with a new albergue by May, but I can be an obsessive planner!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never been to Salcedo, so hopefully someone like @El Cascayal will answer, but I don’t think it is located in the hilly part of the stage. There are, I think, three ascents on the day from Quiroga to Monforte, but I believe this area is pretty flat.

I would just follow google maps both ways — from the street sign in Castroncelos pointing you to Salcedo, and then from Salcedo back to Pobra de Brollón. It’s not on a camino, so there will be no markings.

I would just follow google maps both ways — from the street sign in Castroncelos pointing you to Salcedo, and then from Salcedo back to Pobra de Brollón. It’s not on a camino, so there will be no markings.

I just looked it up on Google maps and was surprised to see that the "walk" setting does report on the elevation change. Both directions are reported as "mostly flat".

I have never been to Salcedo, so hopefully someone like @El Cascayal will answer, but I don’t think it is located in the hilly part of the stage. There are, I think, three ascents on the day from Quiroga to Monforte, but I believe this area is pretty flat.

Yes, there are no significant ascents or descents to Salcedo. You continue walking on the Camino until you get to this significant tree and hang a right. It has signage. Casa Pacita in Barxa de Lor is open once more and for me (having stayed in both places) is a significantly better place.
I gratuitously 😂 threw in the picture of the medieval beautiful bridge and the gradual ascent after Casa Pacita on the Camino to A Pobra de Brollón which is a very nice town with multiple bars and an over the stones walkway over the river. Love this 🥶!
1673558925148.jpeg
1673558977026-jpeg.139452

1673559118200.jpeg
1673559218716.jpeg

Attachments

• 1673558977026.jpeg
    1673558977026.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 53
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Now that March 31 has come and gone (barely), I wanted to check to see if there is any new or updated news about the new albergue in Pobra do Brollon. I'll be walking the Invierno in July (after volunteering as an hospitalero in Ponferrada). Tried contacting the local Camino association via website to get news or update but no response. Would appreciate any news that others can share based on recent experience or news updates. Thanks.

Nope. As of now Gronze only has the announcement of opening of new albergue in spring 2023 and closing of the former albergue in the sports center.

En primavera de 2023 está prevista la apertura de un albergue municipal de peregrinos. La acogida a peregrinos en una sala del polideportivo municipal, que funcionó desde 2018, ha quedado definitivamente cancelada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back