Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Villavieja

Simperegrina

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023-24, Portugues Central, Invierno 2024
Hi Invierno experts

Am considering walking the Invierno next month. Looking through the many interesting threads, I noted that @Betterisgood was unable to get into the albergue back in Feb last year and had to walk on to Las Médulas.

I’d be getting a train or coach from SdC arriving Ponferrada before midday. I could head straight up to Villavieja (having already notified them a couple of days beforehand that I would be arriving), but if I have the same problems getting in, that means a lot of walking in the dark to Las Medulas. Has anyone else experienced trouble accessing the albergue?

Many thx

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not sure what the issue was for them, but phone (or email) the ayuntamiento and they'll give you the code for the door, it's pretty straightforward. If you're arriving at a weekend, be sure to contact them on the Thursday or Friday:

+34987420806
aytopriaranza@ccbierzo.com

In November last, I phoned for a couple (I wasn't staying there myself) and was given the code and instructions straight away. I don't know how quickly they'll respond to an email.

Last edited:
I stayed there in mid-oct, beautiful albergue. Code provided but battery in lock failed to open lock. They came and opened up, changed battery and all was good.. But worth planning to stop there for the night.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there,
The lock was broken, would not open, nothing to be done on a Sunday. They give you the contact of the caretaker in the castle and I called but all she could do was call maintenance and she didn’t have high hopes. It was my choice to move along as I didn’t want to be walking in the dark. I arrived in As Medulas just as the Sun was setting. When I go again I will try not to arrive on a weekend. My son and I have been doing a weekend invierno since November ( 2 stages each month) we chose to try the short cut avoiding Villavieja. Still I will always recommend to any first timer to head up to Villavieja, breathtaking.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen

The lock was broken, would not open, nothing to be done on a Sunday.
That was an unfortunate situation for you to find yourself in and hopefully was a once off. Coded locks are becoming more and more popular with accomodation providers everywhere these days, they are generally very reliable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back