• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue property protection

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

A woman I met last week in Santiago described an interesting experience in the Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Sta María de Carbajal) in Leon. At about 2230, someone turned on the lights in the dormitory and made an announcement that there had been some theft of property recently, some bad persons were posing as pilgrims, and everyone should protect their property. She had mixed emotions about the announcement; glad to be warned, but irritated at the late hour of the announcement.

As I mulled over the incident in my mind, the cynical part of me thought "what a great way to find out where pilgrims' valuables are being kept. No one really knows who is making the announcement. Tell them about the danger, then observe where they verify the safety of their items. After they go back to sleep, the thief can go directly to the stored items." Pickpockets in big cities station themselves near the signs warning about pickpockets, and watch people pat their pockets to verify that their wallet is still there!

If the announcement was from management, perhaps it might be better to make it on check in. Trust but verify...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A woman I met last week in Santiago described an interesting experience in the Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Sta María de Carbajal) in Leon.[...] Trust but verify...
Three days ago a German lady checking in at the pilgrims' office in Santiago de Compostela mentioned that, on top of the cost for her bed, she had to pay 8 Euros for an extra blanket in the Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Sta María de Carbajal) in Leon.

How strange... I love that albergue and have only had positive experiences there.

Sometimes I wonder if a lot gets lost in bad translation?

I had one woman on one of my trips last year that insisted she spoke perfect Spanish.
We all arrived by bus in Burgos and went out to catch a taxi to our hotel, which wasn't too far away.
She insisted on talking to the taxi driver.
After a moment of exchange, she threw up her hands and stated to everyone in an upset voice, "He refuses to take us!."
I interceded, only to find out that the taxi driver had simply said, "It's not far; you could walk if you want, but if you want me to take you it will be 5 euros."

After several of such interchanges with this woman, I decided her Spanish wasn't what she believed it to be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How strange... I love that albergue and have only had positive experiences there.

Sometimes I wonder if a lot gets lost in bad translation?

I had one woman on one of my trips last year that insisted she spoke perfect Spanish.
We all arrived by bus in Burgos and went out to catch a taxi to our hotel, which wasn't too far away.
She insisted on talking to the taxi driver.
After a moment of exchange, she threw up her hands and stated to everyone in an upset voice, "He refuses to take us!."
I interceded, only to find out that the taxi driver had simply said, "It's not far; you could walk if you want, but if you want me to take you it will be 5 euros."

After several of such interchanges with this woman, I decided her Spanish wasn't what she believed it to be.
Annie, that is actually kind of fuuny eh?

Falcon,that is one of the oldest con tricks there is........There is a similar con that still happens in railway stations, etc,someone will yell out " THIEF'',& as a natural reaction,people pat the pocket where they keep their wallet/cash,someone is usually watching for a soft target............Bingo, money gone............:oops:.......Vicrev

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.