• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thefts in albergue

Devinesilk

Time of past OR future Camino
24 August 2023
I got to Logroño in the torrential storm on Saturday. I stayed in the albergue municipal and while the staff were fabulous, on the Sunday morning some women waited for me to go to the toilet and while I was gone they stole the rain cover for my rucksack and left. They left a battered baseball cap in its place so I know it was intentional. Only my rucksack and cover were on the shelf so it wasn’t accidentally picked up. That was a mean move because the weather was horrendous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But....a important reminder to those who are a bit new to the Camino and albergues. Take very good care of your kit and valuables. Everyone is not honest and things go missing.
Sometimes it is accidental but often just because someone likes your stuff.

Simply be careful and do not let the euphoria of the adventure lure you into trusting strangers without conditions. The popularity of the camino with many naive folks carrying money and electronics has drawn in many professionsal dirtbags. Some often pose as pilgrims to gain trust.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But....a important reminder to those who are a bit new to the Camino and albergues. Take very good care of your kit and valuables. Everyone is not honest and things go missing.

Simply be careful and do not let the euphoria of the adventure lure you into trusting strangers without conditions. The popularity of the camino with many naive folks carrying money and electronics has drawn in many professionsal dirtbags. Some often pose as pilgrims to gain trust.
I’m very careful with my valuables eg money, phone passport etc but I was ready to leave and had just packed up. I literally went to the toilet before leaving.

I’m very careful with my valuables eg money, phone passport etc but I was ready to leave and had just packed up. I literally went to the toilet before leaving.
Annoying and makes a person feel not only angry, but vulnerable and violated when something is intentionally stolen. I am glad it was only the backpack cover. I hope you did not find other things missing from the interior as well. Until you can source a replacement you may want to line your pack with a trash bag to keep things dry. I hope the day will improve for you.

Annoying and makes a person feel not only angry, but vulnerable and violated when something is intentionally stolen. I am glad it was only the backpack cover. I hope you did not find other things missing from the interior as well. Until you can source a replacement you may want to line your pack with a trash bag to keep things dry. I hope the day will improve for you.
Thank you for the advice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry that happened to you.

You can use a simple garbage bag as a poncho, pack liner or rain cover for the backpack if you need a temporary replacement until you can buy another one somewhere.

Theft of something simple like a rain cover is rare and financially not a big loss, but nonetheless it can make you lose faith in other pilgrims and humanity. Just sad.

I hope you will get better experience with other pilgrims on the rest of your Camino. Ultreia!

Valid comments, but in this case I doubt anything short of taking the backpack with her would have prevented this group of organised thieves from their course of action. One can only hope they get their just deserts.
As to our OP, you should be able to buy a replacement in any of the towns you walk through. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Valid comments, but in this case I doubt anything short of taking the backpack with her would have prevented this group of organised thieves from their course of action.
I definitely wouldn't call them criminal masterminds - all that they took was a backpack rain cover, which probably isn't worth much on the black market.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
These small, petty l thefts do occasionally occur. Best to keep you're valuables close to you.
I had my bath towel swiped...WHEN I WAS IN THE SHOWER...once!
As I was swearing a few choice words of exclamation, another pilgrim lent me a towel. So, they're good and bad along the Way.
BTW... I keep a large plastic bag in the bottom of my pack, just in case and all my clothes are in baggies. Even with a cover, things can get damp.

I definitely wouldn't call them criminal masterminds - all that they took was a backpack rain cover, which probably isn't worth much on the black market.
Maybe not but its that principal issue - our pilgrim will feel as those she has been violated by those >>>>>. I was going to say something but then decided the simbols define who they are.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Is there a "used pilgrimage stuff" place around? While I may be willing to use recycled gear, it may be wise to spread the word that it's not a good idea to purchase it in / around Logroño.

It is always best to report incidents to the albergue and to the police. Real or false pilgrims will show their colors again and the registration at albergues make theft traceable. In the past I have witnessed the effectiveness of the police arresting a few bad apples. Do not loose faith you're walking with the best.

Maybe not but its that principal issue - our pilgrim will feel as those she has been violated by those >>>>>. I was going to say something but then decided the simbols define who they are.
It was the fact that we’d had torrential rain where it was something I NEEDED. I was supposed to be resting my ankle and ended up walking around Logroño looking for a poncho on a Sunday when everywhere was closed…
It is always best to report incidents to the albergue and to the police. Real or false pilgrims will show their colors again and the registration at albergues make theft traceable. In the past I have witnessed the effectiveness of the police arresting a few bad apples. Do not loose faith you're walking with the best.
I did report it at the albergue

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was going to post about a theft I just learned about yesterday in the Albergue in Vigo on the Portuguese Coastal. The poster woke up to find his new Merrill hiking shoes had gone missing. His first thought was an honest mixup, but it turned out three pairs total were missing. With most albergues now requiring you to put your shoes on a shoe rack by the door I’m think that a little spray paint customization might be a good idea.

Just a little anecdote:
I lost an aluminium water bottle at the municipal in Logrono, then saw it a couple of stops further down the way (I'd marked it so recognised it). A pilgrim had it!
And whilst at the Logrono municipal I was as good as accused of stealing a phone from the previous Alberque - that hurt even more than having my water bottle stolen. I didn't challenge the bottle thief, just smiled and used the bottles I bought along the way thereafter. Rather ironic and not worth the fuss. If I'd had my wallet or backpack stolen that would have been another matter, for the police too.
What I do know is that 'The Camino giveth and the Camino taketh,' in all the right ways :)
Ultreia, fellow pilgrims

A really awful, sickening feeling when something is obviously stolen. As I try to deal with my feelings of anger, annoyance, violation, etc, I also pray for the offender. We all ( hopefully) hope pur weakness will arise/ be confronted while on our Camino, to then reflect upon, improve & grow from. May God touch the heart of all offenders, in all aspects, & helps us all become better, kinder people.
It is good that we have this forum to be able to vent our tough emotions ( as well as good ones!) and helped along our journey. ♡

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I guess I have just enough Bakersfield in me that I'd probably have hailed a taxi and caught up with her and ripped it off of her pack! What a horrible thing to do to someone!
I'm sorry that happened to you.
People have surely lost their way...
There are too many nuts out there, Annie! Not worth the confrontation! Besides you might windup spending more on the taxi than the cover is worth.

I was going to post about a theft I just learned about yesterday in the Albergue in Vigo on the Portuguese Coastal. The poster woke up to find his new Merrill hiking shoes had gone missing. His first thought was an honest mixup, but it turned out three pairs total were missing. With most albergues now requiring you to put your shoes on a shoe rack by the door I’m think that a little spray paint customization might be a good idea.
When I have had to stay in a communal setting, I have placed neither my shoes or my poles in the common areas. My shoes and poles are too valuable to be left out. I take off the shoes, put them in a plastic bag and tie them to my pack. I clean the tips of my poles, and put them in the pack with the tips protruding.
Then, I tie the pack to the bed frame (not on the mattress).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I have had to stay in a communal setting, I have placed neither my shoes or my poles in the common areas. My shoes and poles are too valuable to be left out. I take off the shoes, put them in a plastic bag and tie them to my pack. I clean the tips of my poles, and put them in the pack with the tips protruding.
Then, I tie the pack to the bed frame (not on the mattress).
Smart.
We had shoes stolen from our group.
One fellow took a pair of our walkers' shoes from a pension in Zubiri.
Joe caught up with the guy in Pamplona and got them back!
No kidding.

Look deeper. Question yourself. To learn and discover things about ourselves and others and to find meaning is the reason why we are on Camino, even if we don't know it. How we deal with these issues - or don't deal with them, is what it's all about. For me, anyway.

All these is just a reflect of the world where we are living. Most of the people on the Camino come from developed countries. In india they call it , Kali Yuga. We are still living not too far from the middle ages. Buen Camino everyone.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All these is just a reflect of the world where we are living. Most of the people on the Camino come from developed countries. In india they call it , Kali Yuga. We are still living not too far from the middle ages. Buen Camino everyone.
Not sure what you mean about "developed" countries--that's a good thing or a bad thing? Anyway, there are good and bad people in every country, every religion, every culture, etc. etc. and have always been. I looked up "Kali Yuga," and found it explained as "which was It is believed to be the present age, which is full of conflict and sin," which I also don't get because history tells us there has always been conflict and sin.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do the albergues usually have a locker or something to secure your pack in? I was wondering if it would be worth carrying a backpack lock. I picked one up years ago for another trip. It is a cable that is designed to wrap around your pack and secure it to a bed frame, baggage rack, or any other object you can loop the cable around. It won't stop someone from getting into your pack, but would prevent a grab and run.

Do the albergues usually have a locker or something to secure your pack in? I was wondering if it would be worth carrying a backpack lock. I picked one up years ago for another trip. It is a cable that is designed to wrap around your pack and secure it to a bed frame, baggage rack, or any other object you can loop the cable around. It won't stop someone from getting into your pack, but would prevent a grab and run.
Some albergues have lockers, many don't. Sometimes locks are provided other times not.
You could prevent a grab and run for less weight and cost by just using a zip tie to attach it to a piece of furniture. The important thing is that anything of value should be on your person at all times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I learned a long time ago to always keep my valuables on my person when traveling. I am not too worried about my pack, it's old and beat up (like me), so probably not too desirable. Unfortunately, a thief doesn't know what is in it, and may grab it anyways, hoping it holds something of value. It would just be frustrating to have to replace all or some of my gear along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Makes me 😂 LOL! What a cute idea!
I wasn't worried about theft, but someone accidentally taking my shoes - they're fairly common. My second night on the Primitivo @ Bodenaya a young bloke from England had exactly the same shoes as I, so my little kiwis did their job!

Not sure what you mean about "developed" countries--that's a good thing or a bad thing? Anyway, there are good and bad people in every country, every religion, every culture, etc. etc. and have always been. I looked up "Kali Yuga," and found it explained as "which was It is believed to be the present age, which is full of conflict and sin," which I also don't get because history tells us there has always been conflict and sin.
I am going to hit send, and run. Sin? Tell me true, as some poor little princess said to her mirror, what is sin? Sin if it exists, and it does, whatever it means, or at least its potential, within every human being, should not dismay us. Did you ever sneak a biscuit when your mum was hanging out the washing? Hands up, she said with a blush. I did. It choked me...😈

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am going to hit send, and run. Sin? Tell me true, as some poor little princess said to her mirror, what is sin? Sin if it exists, and it does, whatever it means, or at least its potential, within every human being, should not dismay us. Did you ever sneak a biscuit when your mum was hanging out the washing? Hands up, she said with a blush. I did. It choked me...😈
Please let us not get into a discussion of what is sin and whether it exists.

It is not usual for someone to steal your pack, shoes, rain cover, etc. It can and does happen, but it is not usual. As a hospitalera in smaller communities it has never happened where I was volunteering to my knowledge. I don't lock up my stuff, but I do take my valuables with me at all times.
How much money and time do we spend to find a right shoe for our camino? How many threads on this website deal with finding the right shoe? Shoes may be the most expensive item, and debatably, but even more importantly, the most irreplaceable item one may bring on a Camino! Personally, It would be easier for me to replace my passport on a Camino, than to find shoes to walk comfortably on the Camino. It might be inconvenient, but I can call a CC company, stop usage and replace one quickly. However, The loss of shoes might end my camino. So, for me, my hiking shoes are among my valuables on a Camino. and I would never leave them in a common area.

Last edited:
However, The loss of shoes might end my camino. So, for me, my hiking shoes are among my valuables on a Camino. and I would never leave them in a common area.
Yup. Which is why I refuse. I take a cloth or plastic bag and put my shoes in them and into my pack and take them to my bed with me. Pilgrims in our groups have had shoes taken, whether by "mistake" or not, more than once. We also had one pilgrim TAKE someone else's shoes, in the dark, by mistake. She didn't even realize she had the wrong shoes until she squatted to pee and saw, in horror, she had grabbed the wrong shoes! Luckily they were the same brand and size, but had different shoe laces. It happens, and I'm not willing to take the chance, for the reasons Marbe2 states.

Yup. Which is why I refuse. I take a cloth or plastic bag and put my shoes in them and into my pack and take them to my bed with me. Pilgrims in our groups have had shoes taken, whether by "mistake" or not, more than once. We also had one pilgrim TAKE someone else's shoes, in the dark, by mistake. She didn't even realize she had the wrong shoes until she squatted to pee and saw, in horror, she had grabbed the wrong shoes! Luckily they were the same brand and size, but had different shoe laces. It happens, and I'm not willing to take the chance, for the reasons Marbe2 states.
Thank you for putting your shoes in a bag. Most pilgrims who don't want to be parted from their shoes do not think of this and track mud, dirt, farm animal feces, etc inside. If you do bring your shoes inside, please also wait to put them back on at the door when you leave and not inside the albergue.

I have post several times in the past about a method we have used for many years....maybe a good time to post again.

1. Use the laces to tie your shoe to a shoe from someone else that you are familiar with. It is best if it is a woman and man shoes tied together.

2. It is better if you can place them on different shelves.

3. They will never be taken by accident. The odd thief (not as rare as you may think) will not take the time to go looking for the other pair.

Putting them in a plastic bag and taking to your bunk is, of course, the most foolproof way.

Last edited:
I have post several times in the past about a method we have used for many years....maybe a good time to post again.

1. Use the laces to tie your shoe to someone else that you are familiar with. It is best if it is a woman and man shoes tied together.

2. It is better if you can place them on different shelves.

3. They will never be taken by accident. The odd thief (not as rare as you may think) will not take the time to go looking for the other pair.

Putting them in a plastic bag and taking to your bunk is, of course, the most foolproof way.
🤔 I think you mean to tie them to someone else's shoes Good idea. ( I was just picturing another pilgrim with my shoes tied to them, or wondering how to tie them on to them. I'd have to ask them first. 🤣
Sorry, Grayland. I'm not making fun of you. I'm just waking up, read this email, & chuckled. A great way to start my day. Thank you. 😆)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.