• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All systems go for my first Camino - May 2, 2018

Katherine Radeka

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2023)
Camino Portuguese (2024)
For my fiftieth birthday, I decided to give myself a sabbatical from my consulting work to walk the Camino Francés from SJPP. Yesterday, the final piece fell into place so that I could commit to the trip.

In younger days, I did a lot of hiking with my good friend, Claudine from Marseilles, who taught at an international school in Portland. During an epic backpack in the Olympic National Park, where we did the park's entire coastline trail system in four days, she told me about the Camino. It's haunted my dreams ever since.

In 2013, I had a spiritual awakening that led joining a secular Franciscan Companions group affiliated with a Third Order Franciscan religious community devoted to serving the poor. I've since made two pilgrimages to Assisi, and I'll do my third one with this group right before I start the Camino, as a way to transition away from my busyness and always-connected life.

Everyone I know who's done the Camino has told me to GO! NOW! rather than waiting until my life slows down. It's taken me a year and a half to prepare, mainly because I needed to work with clients and the others I serve on timing, and make sure that my staff is ready for six weeks of very limited contact. I also had financial and sales benchmarks to hit in order to make sure that I had a business to come back to. Yesterday, I hit those targets. So I'M GOING! I can hardly believe it.

In Assisi, I love walking the streets of a place that has been sanctified by the footsteps of so many pilgrims over the centuries, all coming because Sts. Francis and Clare of Assisi have inspired them. The saints' presence is palpable. I love praying in places, and with images, alongside all the souls of those who've been there before.

This is also the call of the Camino. I am looking forward to following this path, which the tradition holds that St. Francis himself took 804 years ago (albeit a different route, probably). Of course, he didn't have so many places to find café con leche!

At the same time, I know that we all travel this earth as pilgrims, wherever we go, and there are as many reasons for undertaking this journey as there are footsteps on the Way. I welcome connecting with people who are making this journey for whatever reason.

If you're on the Camino Francés from May 2 to June 15-ish, look for a fair-skinned redhead in long pants and sun shirt with a green Osprey pack and Black Diamond poles.

Buen Camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino, Katherine. You put into words so beautifully so much of why I myself want to complete the Santiago pilgrimage, especially the sense of walking in the same path as so many pilgrims through the centuries. And St. James will be right there beside you. Be on the lookout for his statue in every church, in the village squares, and many unexpected and surprising places. I'll be on the Camino in May, but much further along the trail. May we both find all that we hope.

For my fiftieth birthday, I decided to give myself a sabbatical from my consulting work to walk the Camino Francés from SJPP. Yesterday, the final piece fell into place so that I could commit to the trip.

In younger days, I did a lot of hiking with my good friend, Claudine from Marseilles, who taught at an international school in Portland. During an epic backpack in the Olympic National Park, where we did the park's entire coastline trail system in four days, she told me about the Camino. It's haunted my dreams ever since.

In 2013, I had a spiritual awakening that led joining a secular Franciscan Companions group affiliated with a Third Order Franciscan religious community devoted to serving the poor. I've since made two pilgrimages to Assisi, and I'll do my third one with this group right before I start the Camino, as a way to transition away from my busyness and always-connected life.

Everyone I know who's done the Camino has told me to GO! NOW! rather than waiting until my life slows down. It's taken me a year and a half to prepare, mainly because I needed to work with clients and the others I serve on timing, and make sure that my staff is ready for six weeks of very limited contact. I also had financial and sales benchmarks to hit in order to make sure that I had a business to come back to. Yesterday, I hit those targets. So I'M GOING! I can hardly believe it.

In Assisi, I love walking the streets of a place that has been sanctified by the footsteps of so many pilgrims over the centuries, all coming because Sts. Francis and Clare of Assisi have inspired them. The saints' presence is palpable. I love praying in places, and with images, alongside all the souls of those who've been there before.

This is also the call of the Camino. I am looking forward to following this path, which the tradition holds that St. Francis himself took 804 years ago (albeit a different route, probably). Of course, he didn't have so many places to find café con leche!

At the same time, I know that we all travel this earth as pilgrims, wherever we go, and there are as many reasons for undertaking this journey as there are footsteps on the Way. I welcome connecting with people who are making this journey for whatever reason.

If you're on the Camino Francés from May 2 to June 15-ish, look for a fair-skinned redhead in long pants and sun shirt with a green Osprey pack and Black Diamond poles.

Buen Camino!
Old guy, 73, leaving SJPdP 2 May. Blue Osprey pack, red ball cap with white cross. Hope to meet you along The Way. Been Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We begin at SJPP on 5th May after kea

Buen Camino!
hi there we leave Brisbane on 1sy May leaving SJPP 5th May overnighting Orisson then to Roncesvalles and planning to complete to Fisterre Muxia and returning to Brisbane 25th June via Madrid. Will see you on the road.

Old guy, 73, leaving SJPdP 2 May. Blue Osprey pack, red ball cap with white cross. Hope to meet you along The Way. Been Camino.
Hope to meet u, we leave SJPP on 5th May, couple 66 & 68 from Australia, with green Aarn Backacks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We begin at SJPP on 5th May after kea
hi there we leave Brisbane on 1sy May leaving SJPP 5th May overnighting Orisson then to Roncesvalles and planning to complete to Fisterre Muxia and returning to Brisbane 25th June via Madrid. Will see you on the road.
Yay !!! My best friend and I will be leaving SJPP on the 4th May stopping in Orisson that night !
No doubt we will catch up at some stage
Caz and Vick also from Aus !!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen Camino!
I will be starting from SJPDP on May 3- Ill keep a lookout for you ! Buen Camino- may our paths cross along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We'll be on the CF April 30-June 13! Hope to see you!
We start SJDPD on 5th May, Santiago, Finistere to Muxia, finishing 22nd June. Couple from Australia, in our late 60’s

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.