• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Almost time, and now I get the jitters

freeflyer123

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino de Santiago
I scoffed every time I came across an entry where someone said they were feeling worried about doing the trip. But yesterday I have to admit to feeling just a little scared now that we are almost there! All that planning. In the end, we brought the date forward from mid-August to beginning of July!

And now that we are booked, we have realized that we will be in Pamplona at the busiest time of the year! What to do? Is there a campsite we could use that wouldn't be full up with other revelers? Or can we miss Pamplona at all? While it would be nice to find a really expensive hotel in the middle of Pamplona and revel in the festivities, I don't think that's the idea of a peregrine, somehow!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
freeflyer123 said:
And now that we are booked, we have realized that we will be in Pamplona at the busiest time of the year! What to do? Is there a campsite we could use that wouldn't be full up with other revelers? Or can we miss Pamplona at all? While it would be nice to find a really expensive hotel in the middle of Pamplona and revel in the festivities, I don't think that's the idea of a peregrine, somehow!

freeflyer123,

You might continue to Zariquiegui and stay in this new place which is both private albergue and hostal. They also take reservations.
http://www.laposadadeardogi.com/

Or continue further up over the Alto de Perdon to Uterga for this private albergue and hostal. Here you can also reserve in advance. I have often stayed in their albergue and eaten in the restaurant. All was fine and the showers GREAT.
http://www.caminodelperdon.es/

By the way near Zariquiegui as well as close to Alto de Perdon and Uterga there is much open space. Perhaps ad hoc camping might be considered.

Watch out for those bulls and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

Pamplona hotels are very expensive now--$500 or more for a one-star.

It is no crime to take the bus to Obanos or Puente de la Reina!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While it would be nice to find a really expensive hotel in the middle of Pamplona and revel in the festivities, I don't think that's the idea of a peregrine,
Why not? It's your camino. If you can afford the expensive hotel it would be a great opportunity. You can always be a peregrino the next day. People stay in Paradors from time to time :)

At a busy time it is worth checking out booking.com or verere.com and booking a 'first night' online. You need to be certain of your dates as there is a cancellation cut off time or you pay the fee. You key in your credit card details to book, but can pay cash at the hotel. We prefer to use the same card, but have paid cash.
If there are none free then the tourist Office may know of others in the area. Also watch that the site, booking especially, doesn't give suggestions for miles out of town :evil:
It is worth the peace of mind to book a first night and then take to pilgrim life........
Buen Camino

Thank you, everybody, for your suggestions. I will make a note of the possible places to stay and I agree that booking for the first night would be a good idea as everything should fall into place from then on.

I am so glad we have at least booked our passage to Spain because I have just been offered a freelance job - which I have had to turn down because it would need to be done while I am away! So, this time on the Camino is a way for us both to get right away from the normal stressfulness of life.

I have never wanted anything so much as this trip to Santiago. If you had asked me this time last year if I would think of doing it, I would have said "no way". But something is pulling me (bigtime) and I see it as one of those inexplicable feelings that we occasionally get in life. My husband (who did once ask me if I would be interested in riding the Camino) is just happy to go with me because he loves cycling and will be so much more able to 'rough it' if we have to.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Good morning, In summer I am going to cycle the Camino de Santiago from Harburgo to Santiago. I need help to find the list of youth hostels or accommodation in this route. The numbers from 1 are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back