• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative route out of León

peter4lc

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Logrono September 2018
I am walking from León to Villar de Mazarife tomorrow using the route recommended by Headwater. Does anyone know whether this route is way marked?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
am walking from León to Villar de Mazarife tomorrow using the route recommended by Headwater. Does anyone know whether this route is way marked?
Some 7 kms after Leon, you come to La Virgen del Caminoo. Shortly after, you go down some steps, and then there is an arrow to the left, leading on. This alternative route is peaceful and cannot be missed: It is also well marked.

You have made a wise decision. Lovely alternative. The primary route is pure disgusting. Albergue Casa de Jesus is nice in Villar de Mazarife.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes. The branch off the main route is on the edge of town about 500m beyond the modern Virgen del Camino basilica. Very well signposted.
The alternative route sounds lovely and much better - we have reservations at Villadangos del Paramo. The normal route is 13 miles- does anyone know what the distance would be for the detour? Thanks very much - beginning our adventure from Leon on 9/24

well marked and both albergues in mazariffe are lovely. I stayed at private albergue in right side as y ou enter town and was treated to my best meal on the Camino. My daughter stayed at the other one and had equally good time. This was a lovely alternate

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your replies. I did the alternative route on Saturday and it was supremely well signposted all the way from the turning just past Virgen del Camino to Mazarife. I had the good fortune to walk with a French choir from Nancy near Metz. They did an impromptu performance in Virgen del Camino. We stayed in the same hotel and then walked together on Sunday morning before saying goodbye near Hospital de Órbigo. Thank you in particular to Miriam and Simone for your welcome.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back